Branched thread discussing politics

Maybe you can do an even bigger breakfast spread, and add some cold cereal to the already lovely hot breakfast you provide:

2 Likes

I can think of a few names, besides Trump, who also fits that subjective description perfectly, in both parties, but of course who fits it more is dependent on oneā€™s personal perspective.

BTW, by the latest count, Hillary won the popular vote in California and New York by 9 million votes, Trump won the popular vote by 6.5 million in the rest of the states (48). That is why there is an electoral college (after much debate and compromise by the Founding Fathers however); the interest of just one or two states should not supersede the interest of the rest of the nation. Only two senators are allowed from each states regardless of size, a similar safeguard.

Personally, I think Americans in this election got stuck with a choice between two candidates they necessarily werenā€™t enamored with by most of the people in both parties. A rare event indeed.

2 Likes

I feel physically sick.

25 characters

2 Likes

Me too. Why arenā€™t Americans outraged that Putin was found to be DIRECTLY involved in hacking our election in favor of Trump. Reported and confirmed by NBC News last night. Trump was complicit and actually committed treason during the campaign by ASKING them to go after Hillarys email. Russia and Assad are committing war crimes in Syria. And our president elect cozies up to Russia, who have annexed sovereign nations like Crimea and has intruded in Ukraine. The Baltics may be next. Does it seem like they want the old Soviet Regime back?

This election is so tainted. Yet people defend Trump as the change agent we need. Right.

Ok, sorry off topic. Flag me.

5 Likes

Aye kona, you are passionate about your convictions. Appears many of us are also.

Unfortunately for the world, Russia remains to this day an aggressive totalitarian state, and the problem stems way back from the day Roosevelt and Stalin (not Churchill - Yalta Convention) agreed to ā€˜splitā€™ Europe with them (then Soviet Union), and stopped at the Elbe River, and looked the other way there after, no matter what outrage they committed against humanity. It is really is a 71-year old problem, still unsolved.

We will soon see how ā€˜The Donaldā€™ will deal with that continuing mess, created long, long ago.

Not Churchill? What about his meeting with Stalin (no US rep present) to divide Europe into spheres of influence pre Yalta? The so-called Percentages agreement?

Iā€™m confident that Trump, a smart guy who canā€™t be bothered to attend intelligence briefings but does have time to meet Kanye West and other sports and entertainment figures cares about two things: his ego and making money. Heā€™s made it clear he cares little for managing world problems outside of their money making opportunities. Maybe he will take it more seriously after he is in the office and realizes the gravity of the situation.

4 Likes

Tell more about this K9. This isnā€™t the Non Aggression Pact, correct? Where they agreed to divide Poland?
I watched another documentary and discovered Churchill was no angel in WW II. Of course neither was the US. Plenty of blame to go around.

No, this was an informal agreement between Stalin and Churchill in 1944 about dividing up Europe after the war. The non-aggression pact was between the USSR and Nazi Germany.

Iā€™m not sure what point @Mearns was trying to make but I read it as Churchill being blameless (since heā€™s a Conservative) in taking actions that lead to our current situation with the former Soviet Union.

That was nothing but a ruse to further encourage the war efforts by the Soviet Union, who was ā€˜exhaustingā€™ the resources of Germany so that the Allies from the West wouldnā€™t have to bear the brunt of facing the real German Army on the ground. Churchill was never in agreement about the final conditions of the Yalta Convention, he was well aware of what it would finally lead to. I could site a string of agreements between the US and the Soviet Union, he never endorsed, but forced to go along with; the actual final military lines, the gatherings and handling of POWs. the cruel gathering and handing over of the original Russian loyalists supporters and families post May 8th, 1945, etc. For that matter the inhuman bombing of Dresden by ā€˜Bomber Harryā€™ā€¦

On the other hand, Churchil was no angel; i.e. like seizing the opportunity to change the war into ā€˜total warā€™ (bomb civilians centers) after an errand German bomber dropped his bombs in an English town, followed by an apology by Adolf Hitler. After that it was total war (i.e. fire bombing of Hamburg, etc). It had disastrous results.

Be happy to engage in this conversation further, in private, since we may be straying too far from the intent of this board. And specially if you want to split the historical discussion between ā€˜conservativeā€™ and ā€˜liberalā€™ grounds.

I simply pointed out, what Trump faces now, just like all US presidents since WWII, is an existing problem going on for 70+ years.

1 Like

I donā€™t need to discuss it, as long as you realize this and that he made many concessions to Stalin over the years, itā€™s good.

@konacoconutz this is a good site for Churchill info
Yalta, 1945 - International Churchill Society

1 Like

Well they all sure did, and then whether they changed their minds or not, many paid the price.

http://thefederalist.com/2016/06/08/these-soviet-victims-will-never-get-an-american-apology-but-should/

Maybe because being so aware of history I trust no government absolutely, as I am sure is easy to tell.

/off to payā€¦taxes, its the 15 of the month.

P.S. Airbnb finally went to a multiple-month calendar! I am thrilled with this change.

I branched off this discussion, as to not take away from DCā€™s thread regarding inauguration.

But I (and others) are very interested in this discussion/debateā€¦so please carry on :smile:

2 Likes

Thank you Cabin! Well done, Ms. Mod. See you did much better than I could have branching the thread. :smiley:

Wellā€¦I was kind of holding my breath hoping all the posts didnā€™t disappear. I do think there is plenty of interest in the topic, so definitely worth keeping open for anyone who is up for the discussion. I feel like I didnā€™t retain anything from history/goverment classes though. Nada! What a shameā€¦

Itā€™s too bad I canā€™t even really contributeā€¦lol.

1 Like

Do you recall if this was on the History channel on Directv? I have watched this one series - I think it was called ā€œThe Men Who Built America.ā€ I was glued to my seat and would watch the series multiple timesā€¦always picking up on new information that I had missed. It seems to move fast, and is quite fascinating.

1 Like

Forgot, actually!!! What was it! Something recentlyā€¦ On Netflix maybe. OHā€¦ It was on Netflix!

It was Oliver Stoneā€™s Untold History of the U.S. Itā€™s really really great series! Tells the history but includes the bad stuff that got papered over by history. Everyone should watch it. I know Stone played fast and loose with the facts in his JFK conspiracy movie, but this documentary series is way cool.

Of course the US were terrible also and committed war crimes where none were needed. Such as the firebombing of Tokyoā€¦ First time in history civilians were bombed in great numbers by air raids

Japan was ready to surrender when the atomic bombs were dropped on innocent civilians. All the generals at the time, even MacArthur, was against dropping the monstrous bomb, and Truman went for it anyway. Telling people that it would save American livesā€¦ that lie got bigger the more years that went byā€¦ It was mainly a showy display to demonstrate to the Soviets we meant business.

ā€œIā€™m a Death, Destroyer of Worlds.ā€

Truman was a bad dude. Watch the series for an interesting perspective on him. K9 will please correct anything I misstated.

1 Like

Ha! History is so open to interpretation. Iā€™ve been told that in Japan schoolchildren are taught they surrendered due to the impending Soviet invasion of Japan, not the A bombs. Here schoolchildren arenā€™t even taught about the possible Soviet invasion. And yes while the bombing of Hiroshima was horrific so was the firebombing of Tokyo and Dresden. Hindsight is always clearer than foresight.

3 Likes

k9, we will be visiting Dresden in a couple of weeks. Itā€™s very close to Prague so we are taking a side trip.
It was once a beautiful baroque city like Prague, so it will be interesting to see what itā€™s like now. I am sure there are museums and such to see.

If you remove someone unfit as each party sees the other partyā€™s candidates as unfit; which presidents fit the subjective description of demagogue and influenced by foreign powers?

I am not so sure any one of them really are, in todayā€™s world. I am not so sure any one can even be allowed to become a demagogue, for we have the benefit of history, as exemplified by the current discussion (the barbarism of WWII).

Whether they would like to be is another matter, but the democratic process today is a far cry from 50 years ago, 100 years ago. The rise of instant communication alone, makes everything immediately public, which makes public figures immediately accountable, no? Today, they couldnā€™t get away with things were possible like in the past.

Wanted to add before: I sure hope Trump knows his history, well!