Airbnb's Extenuating Circumstance Policy Overrides my Cancellation Policy

Erica

I have said this before and will repeat now. Some Air reps. have more creative justifications than the most unscruplous attorneys. The rep. could clearly see that the reason was because of a change in class dates, so the rep. saying that they DO NOT know the reason and ALWAYS assume all government officials cancel due to “important military issues” is just a line of BS!

Did I read this right? The air rep. just “listened” and did not actually provide any assistance in getting you back your money?

The so - called company “policy” of decisions being irreversible is to try to get hosts off their back. That’s it!! Of course any decision is reversible. But it’s much simpler to state it is impossible to change the decision.

They completely screwed you over because THEY decided to please the guest and give a refund. And Air doesn’t want to take it out of their own pocket. Instead, they are playing with hosts’ income like it is monopoly money.

Thanks for the update and wish it had turned out better.

Stop!! - Regardless if it is a government employee, do you really want to accept a 2 month long reservation during your high season??? Would you trust that Air would not refund the guest a large portion back? There was one report on this forum about Air refunding a guest a large part of a long term stay. And this was after the guest continued to extend the date. After she left she made complaints and the host got screwed.

1 Like

Actually, when you call airbnb, they state that the call will be recorded.
Both parties know it’s being recorded already.

Hey guys. Just a small update on this saga. So I tried to reach out to the guest in a very polite/professional manner to settle the difference in a 50/50 split. Turns out the guest is no longer an AirBnb member. So to recap, the guest had 0 reviews, 0 trips etc and Airbnb sides with them without even reaching out to me (Superhost) to discuss the decision. I am out over $1400 and the guest gets everything back and MY money and then cancels their account after getting the money. GREAT JOB AIRBNB!!! Lets 100% side with a guest that has not and will not ever use your company and screw over a super host that has 4 properties listed on your site!

SOMETHING HAS TO BE DONE ABOUT THIS. I have read too many similar cases like mine that this company only cares or sides with the guests. Does anyone have any ideas how we as hosts can get together to make some changes?

Thank you!

Listing with other platforms?

Thanks for that wonderful suggestion

Just thought I would add to the above…I too had a guest claim extenuating circumstances and I too thought a 50/50 was fair but I was given a fait accompli by Airbnb saying I must refund or they will deduct from my next booking away because they were overriding my cancellation policy.
The thing is they are not losing anything but they are making the rules! Plus the lady in question could also claim on her travel insurance and if fact become better off meanwhile I have lost out totally.
I feel we should all complain for a change of policy…you want to have an extenuating circumstances policy you fund it …don’t expect host too.

2 Likes

Just because somebody cancelled an account does not mean that they can not set up a new one.

1 Like

I came to a fair settlement and agreement with my guest after a cancel a few hours past arrival time, We based our mutual decision upon the signed contract and struck a compromise, for a two night refund out of a 3 night stay, with guest agreeing to pay for 1st night.
ABB overrode our mutual agreement and refunded guest the entire stay under “extenuating circumstances”.
My houses that hold 14 guests; it is very very risky to have EC.
Somebody in the group ( or not in the group ) is bound to have some kind of “emergency” each week.
I have tightened my agreement and would sue in small claims court if necessary.

Personally if I had a very expensive place, I’d be trying to move to platforms that didn’t reserve the right to override my cancellation policy.

What is the point of “tightening your agreement”? Does Airbnb consider itself bound by your agreement?

2 Likes

Ah you have it backwards…I move some open dates ABB to fill in. Never keep all eggs in one basket.
I have been in STR since long before ABB was a thought in someones brain.
ABB is not bound by my agreement. A signed agreement is between the guest ( person who signs ) and my property.
I would not rely upon ABB to enforce my rules, my contract, or my money flow.

Hi @georgygirlofairbnb,

Ok, that all sounds very sensible. Sorry, I didn’t realise I was talking to an expert. :slight_smile:

1 Like

How can hosts take a stand against Airbnb policy where Trip team representatives are making unreasonable decisions regarding cancellations and refunds?

I’m sitting in payout limbo right now because a guest cancelled two weeks over the holiday, due to a supposed EC …but has still not submitted her documents. Blocked my two prime weeks of the year for months and canceled ten days before. They told me they closed the case but the payout is just sitting there. I guess they give forever for the guest to submit her claim. I lost $1000 on this and it was too late to book the Christmas minimum I require. They haven’t notified me that the guest was refunded yet they won’t pay out.

Pretty fed up. Why should I be the one to eat the loss because someone gets sick?

I’m blocking Christmas in the future, not worth it.

Are you saying once the guest has booked, you make them sign an additional agreement?

oh yes - absolutely!
I think everyone with large houses does …or should have a separate contract signed.
My weekly rental costs are high ( $4000 + ).
I would not want to - eat / lose / give back - $4000 because a kid at ABB decides that:

• sister in law’s early labor is an extenuating circumstance.
    Or because Johnnie’s ear ache means he can’t fly.
    Or because Grandma broke her hip.
    Or because the afternoon thunderstorms in ATL caused the flight to be cancelled.
    Or because Darling and Precious called off their wedding.
    I also had damage one time last year - and I learned that ABB does not back nor trust the owner regarding damage.
    Additionally, ABB does not enforce anything regarding extra guests or parties…a huge concern for any owner with a large house.
    So I don’t rely upon them to back me up -

can I PM to you - I cant remember if there is that feature.

Could you direct message me please? I would like to further discuss employing an additional agreement with Airbnb guests. I am new to the hosts forum, but am a long time host. I am pretty desperate for some help countering Airbnb’s unreasonable customer service reps.

But if The reservation is booked via Air it does not matter what extrernal agreement you have, bc we signed TOS so everything defaults to Airs policy.

YOU ARE CORRECT. Everything defaults under Air’s policy.

1 Like