Airbnb's Extenuating Circumstance Policy Overrides my Cancellation Policy

Just didn’t want people to think there is a way around it. (Trust me I wish there was)

You do most of your bookings not though Air, right?

I believe that it would be up to a court of law to make individual decisions. That is why we rely upon courts and judges. But yes our TOS between us and ABB says that everything defaults. So you are correct.
Everyone has to do what they are most comfortable with. I require a signed contract.
Most of my bookings are not from ABB - but I did earn over $40,000 through ABB in 2017, and I am a superhost. I was surprised it was so much from ABB.
I have an ABB group here now.
I have 2 properties. I live in one, and the other is 3 blocks away.

Not trying to argue, just curious how you would enforce the external contract if Air did refund a guest for an Extenuating Circumstance?

As a host I genuinely want to know!

I would file in a court of law if I ever had that situation where I felt I needed to. I have not ever done that, nor have I ever had any reason to .
The court would have to determine if everything defers to ABB, or if a signed contract between the guest and myself was valid and enforceable.
I hope to never find out the answer !!!

1 Like

@georgygirlofairbnb - congratulations on doing so well with ABB! Our buddies at HA need to be very, very worried about ABB. I’m getting more views now on ABB than HA, and we are the 5th or 6th most-viewed property on HA on the whole island, so that doesn’t bode well for VRBO/HA.

We’re starting to get groups booking on ABB that typically booked VRBO in the past. Just got a week ABB booking from a 60-ish year old couple for their anniversary. They used to be the realm of VRBO…,

1 Like

Airbnb requires that all hosts and guests agree to a Binding Arbitration Clause. This means that you have given up your right to file in a court of law.

Perhaps you are absolutely correct. In that case the court would not allow me to file. The chances of me ever having to file anyway are nearly none.