Airbnb's Extenuating Circumstance Policy Overrides my Cancellation Policy

I’m planning a trip to the UK this summer and, because I tend to have medical problems frequently, I’m booking nothing but places that have “moderate” or “flexible” cancellation policy, in case something goes wrong and I need to re-schedule the trip. If I booked strict places and then had to cancel, what would be the point of complaining to Air? I just don’t get it. People should only book strict cancellation places if they are CERTAIN they’ll travel OR if they are willing to assume the RISK THEMSELVES. Period.

Get travel insurance, mine is free in my Visa card. When I had a health problem all my cancelled bookings were refunded to me, hosts etc were not asked for refunds.

Seeing that this seems to be a frequent occurrence for hosts, why aren’t we banding together and creating a “carpet bomb” letter/email to ABB execs? I think that trip insurance is a good idea.

I’ve been wondering for a while why Airbnb hasn’t teamed up with an insurance company. I’m guessing either a) it’s not in their financial interests or b) no company will offer a satisfactory deal to them c) both of the above. And why should they bother when hosts can just suck it all up, right?

2 Likes

It’s only a frequent issue for hosts not on a flexible policy. In my opinion guests that need flexibility have no business booking a listing with a strict cancellation policy. It’s not as if they don’t have a choice.

Sorry I did not put details about my follow up convo I had earlier this afternoon. So after calling and speaking to 2 different initial customer service reps because one refused to help me because she stated that the case manager made her decision and the other rep hung up on me mid conversation. I got lucky the 3rd time calling and right off the bat I got a case manager that actually gave a damn about this company and their hosts. She took notes and let me talk and completely understood my point and even stated the way the case manager handled this and made a ruling without even giving me a call was unacceptable. Unfortunately, it is apparently company policy that once a case manager makes a decision it is set in stone and other managers can not override this decision. This is absolutely absurd! Everyone has a boss and if the employee fails to do his/her job you as the customer should be able to have an appeal and have a second opinion. We are talking $1450 and it blows my mind that ONE person can make a ruling 2 months after the original booking without even hearing my side of the story.

One of my concerns that I expressed to her is that I do not feel comfortable moving forward booking government employees due to how this is handled. So should I discriminate because they always have an out? They can just play the ultimate “Trump” card at any point and cancel without any penalty because of their job title. I said so if I booked a conference or classes for work at an AirBnb and canceled last minute because MY employer canceled the conference is that extenuating circumstances if I provide a note. That is 100 percent not fair to the host regardless of the reason. She stated that since he was a government official and they do not know the reason why it was canceled that they would assume its important military issues that they are unaware of. If you read the form he submitted it clearly shows that he was visiting here from Canada for a class! So I am out $1450 because the government changed these classes to another date and I am the only one that suffers. So to me this means if any hosts book government employees any reason is extenuating circumstance. Many hotels do not even have cancellation policies. Also the guest knows that I have a strict cancellation policy and has to verify and click 3 different boxes before confirming booking acknowledging my policy. WHERE IS THE ACCOUNTABILITY? If you are unsure or not willing to take the chance, DO NOT BOOK WITH ME, there are about 300 other hosts in the area that have flexible or moderate policies. If I decide as a host that a Strict policy is what I want to do then there should be NO extenuating circumstances period especially open ended and not clearly defined extenuating circumstances that ONE individual can rule on there own. I know that having a STRICT cancellation policy will give me fewer requests/bookings and give me lower placement on searches but that is my decision to make and should be protected by my policy.

I would really like to form an alliance with other hosts and try to make some changes so we actually feel comfortable with this company moving forward!

1 Like

Hey sweep. I would love to get together with other hosts and put something together as a united front.

I think only AirBnB have an extenuating circumstances policy? Use anther booking service?

So one thing that I do if I have an automatic call recorder on my phone. It’s a free app that you can download from the app store on Apple or even on Google Play. Just search automatic call recorder. There are several options. I have mine set so it doesn’t record personal phone calls but it definitely will record Airbnb calls. It’s very important to keep records like that.

To be honest @ericaandbrooke you’re focusing on the wrong thing and therefore missing the point. This isn’t about government workers letting you down. Today it was a government worker tomorrow it could be Joe Bloggs who is on vacation. The issue is Airbnb and their decision making process. Deciding you will never book another government worker again will not insulate you from this problem as it can occur with any guest.

The buck stops with Airbnb, and that’s who you should be disappointed with.

4 Likes

To anyone who is thinking about using this device; in many states it’s illegal to record conversations without the consent of both parties.

http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/recording-phone-calls-and-conversations

The primary use of it is not to present a recording to someone. The primary
usage would be for your own reference, so you can keep a record of who said
what and when. Basically, to back up your own memory. Names dates and
times.

Regardless of your plans for the recording, in many states it is illegal to record people without their consent.

Erica, the case managers back each other up and won’t override. You have to get to a supervisor. I had two case managers make a so called final decision on my case, when I was advised by these good forum members to escalate to Twitter. I had luck! Even after the earlier final decision, it was eventually reversed by a supervisor, who identified her as such. Please send a message to them on twitter. They really do give it a second look. Don’t give up until the last dog dies, and you have tried twitter. Then get back to us!!

2 Likes

That’s an interesting statement to make. I would love to have some background statistics on this topic. I am actually offering a flexibly policy, and so this week, I had a guest cancel a 7 day booking, about five days before she was supposed to arrive. Of course she got all her money back. I am wondering if my room will now stay empty, which is a bit of a bother to me.

I’m not sure even a public call out on Twitter will get this case resolved in favor of the host. Airbnb is motivated to resolve cases if they are going to turn into a PR nightmare. I’m not sure this case qualifies. Thank about it. Almost everyone is going to be outtaged by a guest that totally trashes a hosts place and will be sympathetic towards the host. But guests are the people Airbnb is worried about impressing, there are more guests than host’s out there, and most guests will probably not be sympathetic towards this host.

You don’t use the twitter feature to call out for PR shame. It’s to escalate. They will open a new case for you even after they “disengaged.” I got a disengagement, as I said. When I PMd on Twitter, I got a new case opened after the dreaded disengagement. And they ruled in my favor.

Just try it. You post your problem, or PM them. They get right back to you.

1 Like

Hey zandra. Yes my issue is 100 percent with Airbnb but what they have told me is that since they are are government employees any excuse or reason can be exentuating circumstances. The last line on the extenuating circumstance list mentions something about government duties like jury furry. This is a very broad spectrum to label something government obligations and then leave it up to one individual to determine what that means and to make a decision. My main concern is this happening again and knowing Airbnb does not and will not have my back. This was $1400 and I have had requests for 2 months for thousands of dollars. If I accept a 2 month reservation and block my calendar out during busy season and a government employee cancels a few days before where does that leave me?

That is why I am saying it makes me more nervous booking government employees because it is much easier for them to pull the exentuating circumstance card without any penalty.

Thank you konacoconutz. I will be using the twitter and instagram route today and let everyone know. Thank you!

1 Like

Thanks for that clarification @konacoconutz :slight_smile:

1 Like