You need to think about the timelines for recovery

MLB has been actively considering numerous contingency plans that would allow play to commence once the public health situation has improved to the point that it is safe to do so. While we have discussed the idea of staging games at one location as one potential option, we have not settled on that option or developed a detailed plan. While we continue to interact regularly with governmental and public health officials, we have not sought or received approval of any plan from federal, state and local officials, or the Players Association. The health and safety of our employees, players, fans and the public at large are paramount, and we are not ready at this time to endorse any particular format for staging games in light of the rapidly changing public health situation caused by the coronavirus.ā€

For the life of me, I canā€™t imagine watching, let alone playing, baseball in 100+ degree summer weather. But on the slim chance they go with this plan, and its a questionable that theyā€™d allow any fans in the stadiums. But if things do work out it might bring what is normally an AirBNB DEAD ZONE to life for me and @Brian_R170

ā€œPlay ball!ā€œ

All early morning or night games? If the Dbacks can do it why canā€™t everyone else?

That said, I donā€™t see it happening.

Goshā€¦what a suppressed memory I have. I now remember the sugar cubes.
Needles? not a problem at all. In fact I prefer to watch phlebotomists do their job on me.

1 Like

Chase Field (stadium where Dbacks play in season) has a retractable roof so it can can be climate controlled. The spring training fields are all open air.

However I do agree itā€™s not likely to happen, as it is currently just a field of dreams.

ā€œIf they build it, they will comeā€

Night games in open fields, day games inside, dramatically reduced schedule. High interest because instead of each game being 1/400th of a season (or whatever it is) it will be 1/100th of a season.

This is a sad truth. We are working on renovation options to divide up our large house to accommodate a long term apartment instead of our beloved Airbnb guests.

1 Like

Weā€™ve blocked out May and in a few weeks weā€™ll probably block out June. We are also hoping to get unemployment benefits, though itā€™s not clear when that will be possible in Mass. We are really really going to miss the income, we are missing it now. But what are you going to do? I hope things go well in China, where theyā€™ve let folks out after a couple of months inside. Though in the US, as others have said, we havenā€™t enforced 100% quarantine. Letā€™s cross fingers.

1 Like

We need more than crossed fingers. What I donā€™t know. Iā€™d like to do some serious ass-kicking. We still have states with no statewide stay at home orders. Iā€™m sure itā€™s purely coincidence that all those governors are members of the former pro-life party, the Republicans. (Pat, Iā€™d like to buy a consonant, F. The pro-life party is now just the pro-lie party).

They are going to be late to the party and there is absolutely no evidence yet that they will be somehow spared. Quite the contrary, all evidence points to them disproportionately suffering. This may very well be tested by a bunch of rural and denial state faithful heading out to church on Sunday.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/coronavirus-slow-spread-rural-america-122824791.html

And for anyone thinking this isnā€™t political or partisan, just stop already. Youā€™re wrong.

5 Likes

Here is where we stand. While we are fairly well diversified, and can sustain a long absence of AirBnB income, we also want to consider the impact of a complete lockdown. In this part of Texas, restaurants, parks, and shops are closed. There is no need for us to open until all of that returns to the new normal, whatever that is. That will be the first sign. The second is demand; if there are no requests to open up, weā€™ll stay closed. Once requests start coming in, that will be a second sign. Finally, what do we need to do to protect ourselves and our guests when places start to open again? We have plenty of distance between our cabins, and we will have at least 2 weeks between guests (at the beginning). This gives us time to ensure the cabins are sanitized and relatively safe (for both us and our guests). That may be the new normal. All of this, of course, is contingent on the economy coming back. If we are back to the dust bowl days, then AirBnB will be the least of our problems.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a good point. The legal restrictions can be lifted but people who believe in science and for whom safety is a priority arenā€™t going to go ā€œback to normalā€ until there is a vaccine/testing/treatment. For example, schools can open but when millions of parents keep their kids at home, what happens then?

1 Like

Yet again, I felt utter despair on reading this post.

1 Like

I used to say I would never move out of the US. If Trump is reelected I may have to reconsider purely for my own safety. My friends in New Zealand and I have an emergency plan in preliminary discussions. It wouldnā€™t be a very posh life in NZ but at least Iā€™d be safe and relatively happy.

3 Likes

Agree. Just look at NY and Florida .

waves hello from Queens

FWIW, an old high school friend is a professor of the history of pandemics. She says kids wonā€™t be back in school before June 2021, so Iā€™m making plans based on a prolonged bizarre period.

We are grateful for our back yard. We know families where the kids go outside once a week and then rush straight to the shower.

Community minded people are donating to funds that pay restaurants to send food to hospitals. Weā€™re sharing mask patterns. We gave our monthly metro card to a nurse friend of ours who passed it on to an essential worker who had to keep taking public transit.

Society has not yet broken down, but we know that the federal level of government hates us. The feeling is entirely mutual.

6 Likes

Iā€™m so happy to ā€œseeā€ you and so sorry I didnā€™t get the chance to meet you when I was in NY in October. Hopefully we will get another chance in a few years.

Not an unreasonable assumption. Better to expect the worst and be overprepared.

I have to keep believing the best about this nation and that we will right the ship in Nov. Who knows what havoc will be unleashed between then and Jan 20 though.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum.

I think what you are describing is called Digital Nomading?

I certainly see what you predict happening for swathes of employees who have the right skill sets, and corporate offices were already downsizing in London, particularly in the City and Canary Wharf, before Covid-19 made itā€™s ugly presence known.

However, not everyone has a skill set that can translate in this way. Many people here are retired, and have used their Airbnb income to support a better life, both socially and economically.

3 Likes

I think he is saying that Airbnb can help fill that niche? Which is what Iā€™ve also been predicting as a way Airbnb could go.

Not just digital nomads but people who donā€™t want to own a home and all the stuff and obligations that go with it. Leases, furniture, kitchenware, packing, utilities. People (like myself 30 years ago) who, instead of buying a house, rent an Airbnb. And every few weeks or months I move from one to another. Then when I take off for 2 months in the summer traveling I donā€™t pay rent anywhere. Or healthy retirees, empty nesters all of whom donā€™t need 3 bed/2 bath homes.

2 Likes

So Airbnb Nomads then.

Not a concept I would have thought of really, as I bought my first home in London 40+ years ago.

After a nomadic upbringing, I wanted a stable home as part of my life, and only I was going to provide it. With the help of my lovely Bank Manager of course. He said it was better use of my money than drinking it all away!

3 Likes

I do love my home and Iā€™ve set it up well for the new normal. We girls arenā€™t going to be going to Seattle or Chicago or Boston anytime soon. But we may be meeting here and grilling, sitting by the fire, etc. People who are set up for small gatherings where people cook at home and stay put playing badminton and croquet, maybe have a pool, they should be able to get bookings.

I could see myself being a retiree nomad though.

1 Like

Way too much forcing people to stay at home. I get out every day. I am healthy and thatā€™s the best way to stay healthy. Those staying home are weakening their immune system. I canā€™t wait for everything to open up.