You need to think about the timelines for recovery

I’m sending you a PM as I don’t want to put any info on the public forum that will compromise my source, so to speak. LOL.

1 Like

What makes you say i’m uninformed?

1 Like

Sorry I don’t have time to play games. Just mute or ignore me. I’m trying to be helpful, you aren’t interested. I’m totally cool with that.

2 Likes

I would have thought a moderator of a forum would be more respectful of others.

1 Like

I would have thought someone who has been on this forum as long as you have would know that I’m not your personal research assistant.

I’m a volunteer who has spent many hours here; quite a few too many hours in the opinion of many.

If you don’t appreciate my effort and don’t want to give the respect you demand from others then mute or ignore me as I will you from now on.

5 Likes

Great, appreciate that I will no longer receive disrespectful replies from you.

These guys just launched some new tracking charts to look at trends for recovery for hosts. I am awaiting info on China trends to start to see the impact. It helps understand what to anticipate for booking patterns and how to competitively price your property…it’s a good tool. Hope it helps show the light at the end of the tunnel… https://www.airdna.co/blog/airdna-announces-new-forward-looking-features-to-track-market-recovery

1 Like

About timelines for recovery, I know that we all want to get past the danger of this pandemic.

My husband and I plan to be very circumspect about any official advice about “safety.” The US president clearly wants the US back to business as usual as soon as possible. And I seriously doubt that he has ever had our safety uppermost in his mind.

When the official word from him says the danger is past, we won’t believe him. Yes, he has medical advisors who will know better, but this president would easily silence them and say anything to get his own way.

Our state’s governor is much more careful. But we’ll be circumspect about any back to business announcements from him, too.

So far, no other nation that’s had serious effects from this pandemic has succeeded in loosening controls. Every time China starts to loosen up, the virus flares again and they have to return to restrictions.

Until there is an effective vaccine, available to everyone (and I sincerely hope free!), I can’t believe that “back to normal” will ever be safe.

1 Like

BDC are already preparing for a major downturn in inter country travel. They’re pushing promotions now to attract guests from within your geographical area.

It’s always been possible to do this, it’s the fact they’re actively encouraged hosts to do it suggests their models predicting more domestic travel, than intercontinental for the short/medium term.

JF

My SIL the RN is mostly retired, works occasionally, and hopes to switch from giving mass public flu shots to mass public COVID-19 shots. I’ve suddenly had a memory of going to our local high school as a little kid, getting in a long line with my Dad in the gym, and being given a sugar cube with oral polio vaccine to eat.

4 Likes

I remember the polio vaccine sugar cube, too. I think we went two Sundays in a row for that. We went to our neighborhood public school for it. (I was a student at a Catholic school then.)

1 Like

I will be following the advice of my science friend in NZ. She’s been advising me since late January and hasn’t been wrong yet. I’ll be sharing important insights with certain people here. As one ancient philosopher put it:

Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast
ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them
under their feet, and turn again and rend you.

5 Likes

Oh lucky you! It was still the needle when I was a child, and somewhere along the line, I developed a needle phobia. Not sure how or why, but this resulted in my Dr Dad deciding it was better to give all shots to us himself, as I was such an embarrassment. My brother used to call it target practice, and my Mum would weep for me.

I remember when disposable syringes and needles first appeared. I walked up to his office to meet him coming home for lunch. He had one of those old cars, with a bench for the front two seats. On said bench, sitting between us, were several syringes etc. I quietly ate my lunch en famille, and then swiftly disappeared for the rest of the day. They weren’t for us anyway, and no one had noticed I was missing anyway!

2 Likes

Another extreme needle-phobe here. I used to pass out every time I had to get one, or even a pin-prick blood draw. I remember one time as a kid having 4 nurses hold me down while the doc tried to give me an injection. They ended up not giving it, telling my parents to just take me home. I’m only slightly more stoic as an adult- I still need to lie down or I can faint and having to get needles at the dentist is torture. I’m not afraid of the dental work itself at all- it’s the novacaine shots that terrorize me.
Ironic thing is that I’m a seamstress by trade- I use needles al the time, and have certainly poked myself before. But that’s different from a syringe going into my arm.

1 Like

Somehow I got over it. Just as well really, or I’d never have managed to cope as an RN!

I like this NZ promo for local tourism: https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/back-your-backyard/120396574/no-more-overseas-holidays-in-2020-what-we-can-look-forward-to-in-new-zealand?cid=facebook.post&fbclid=IwAR19f92Zz6rNWUDi1RcSxIKDbA2DgPJbLoWYUAmUH-rB6QmvztL2ojsxrqs

1 Like

That is beautiful. I was in NZ most of Feb but we didn’t go anywhere far due to my friends being currently unemployed. They have 15 hectares on the ocean side of the Otago Peninsula and as soon as restrictions lift they will be working on building an off grid “bache” type place. If they get any money/job they have been planting trees, and preserving yellow eyed penguin and jeweled gecko habitat. We camped there several nights during my visit.

The next to the last night I broke down in tears as I think it’s the last time I’ll ever visit there. It was great to get a last visit in and to meet their dogs. It’s my third trip over and there was lots left to see, but it is what it is.

The cinema on Stewart Island looks like it’s right up my alley.

3 Likes

I cannot do needles at the dentist. Mine put me under with gas to have my wisdom teeth out. It was great.

When I go to the blood suckers, I ring first and find out who is on duty. I let them know when I will be there. I am ushered straight in and lie on the bed. We talk about everything to get me calm. I tell them when I am ready. They use a child’s needle.
If I am stressed I am likely to faint. Some of the collectors get this, others dismiss your issues and they have a very unhappy dead weight on their hands!

1 Like

In our small town children were lined up at “city” hall (it was also the public library, court house, police station, and dance hall). The town doctor would give each of us our injections - he was a WWII vet with the shakes. Every once in while he would break a needle in a child’s arm. You would be in line and hear a scream of terror - knowing you had to stay and hope it would be ok when your turn came. Never had a needle break in me but to this day I have a great fear of needles. I get past it by closing my eyes and talking a blue streak.