WTF? New rules allowing kids

When a company and its guests make me shake in my own home, it’s time to shop around.

2 Likes

I am sorry that happened to you. I hope it never happens again. Some things to keep in the back of your mind are:

1. American attorney/law licensure is good ONLY in the USA and may be further restricted so not valid in your area.

2. Half the the time when a jackass blusters about being a lawyer, they have a lawyer cousin twice removed. They are not a lawyer.

3. Anyone trying to bully their host, you don’t want as a guest. Decline or cancel the reservation with the comment, “I am open to rationally discussing guest needs and accommodating them as best I can. However I will NOT be bullied in or about my own home. I am declining this reservation request due to your rude behavior.”

I have a streak of red-neck so I would WANT follow it with, “BTW you can KMA!!!” I probably would not do it…

And of course report their bad behavior to Airbnb. I doubt Airbnb would do anything but at least you tried.

3 Likes

@justMandi and @Annet3176, good points. I do feel pretty good about the outcome. I can’t say I eat American lawyers for lunch or anything, but without any drama on my side [no one could see my hands shaking :slight_smile: ] I got the booking cancelled. It helped that I have the dangers - platform, fast river, coyotes, woodstove, no room for baby gear without blocking the exit - clearly listed, and it really helped, I think, that I presented only the safety issues to CS and didn’t muddy up my ask by mentioning the threats/bullying of the guest. (That’s my advice to anyone in the same situation: present yourself as worried about the guest, not worried about yourself. Things go better.)
The downside was that the guest got “a little something to keep her happy” according to CS. So a trick for tricky guests, with this infant policy, could be to pick someplace highly inappropriate for an infant, demand that the infant be accepted per Airbnb policy, and when the host initiates the cancellation, get a travel credit for the booking you actually want.

The customer service agent indicated to me that she was well aware this was bad guest behaviour. Although I didn’t mention the bullying, she could see it clear as day in the messaging. When she told me the guest got a travel credit, she said it with a sigh. I think the worklife of a CS agent is no fun.
I expect a guest could get away with this only once, though. Hope so.

2 Likes

“Rattlesnake egg easter hunt last year. Didn’t find all the eggs.”

4 Likes

I personally cannot tell if someone is a bully on platform. It happens to me en casa. We have the right as hosts to turn down a reservation, but if we accept we are at their mercy.

1 Like

But you have in fact been the David to the Air Goliath.

Air is supposed to be third party. Yet they can tell us to accept everyone, pets, and children in our own homes.

I am certain that their legal team has scoured this. But it makes no sense.

2 Likes

Hold the phone!! I can charge for kids?! I had no idea!! My cleaning person says they are worse than pets, hands down.

2 Likes

I don’t know that you can charge EXTRA for kids… Lol, but over two years old is not an infant so if you charge per person you can charge for them.

RR

I hear you. I will never cease to be amazed by people who don’t respect the owner/host

2 Likes