Writing a review when guest breaks items

Hey hosts. I’ve been looking for this answer in the forum, but haven’t come across it.
My question is, what type of review do you leave guests that broke or damaged minor things (glasses, plates, missing pillow case, stained towel)?
I’ve decided to not charge them for these minor things, but is it something I should mention in the review?

I would ask them where the missing towel might be. If they are unable to answer satisfactorily eg.it is at the bottom of the closet, request reimbursement for the cost of replacing it. Send the request through the airbnb’s section for asking for funds and include a screenshot of the anticipated price for same.
The stained towel, small broken items? I consider these the cost of doing business and would not mention it in a review.

These things are minor yet almost all guests manage not to break, lose or damage anything, so these are below average. Give them a minor ding in stars and say they broke a few small things in the review. Is it worth a claim for $20 or so?

3 Likes

I would be much more inclined to let it go if the guest tells me about the damage, rather than waiting for me to notice it. After all, accidents do happen, and I consider the occasional broken glass or stained towel the cost of doing business.

1 Like

If you’re pretty sure it was an accident and the guests were otherwise lovely, I would not mention it in the review. Because, well, accidents happen to even the best of us. If, on the other hand, they charged into your home and conducted themselves like the proverbial bulls in a china shop, and left a trail of destruction (defined as 2 or more broken items as a clear result of carelessness) behind them, then yes, I’d mention it.

1 Like

Here’s your Review: Guests were nice except for not mentioning damages including broken glassware and plates, a missing pillowcase, and a permanently stained towel. Cannot recommend them to other hosts.

It’s simple, straightforward, truthful and non-judgemental. Most of all it tells other hosts what went on. Reviews are more for your fellow hosts than they are for the guests. Also deduct two stars each for Communication and Cleanliness.

3 Likes

I would consider cost of of doing business and not mention in review.

Thanks for the responses. Most of the time my guests don’t mention that they broke, stained, or disappeared something. I always find out after the leave.

1 Like