Would you tick the Kitchen box in Amenities if you provided a Kitchenette?

Picture this: guest access to the main kitchen is out of the question. A possible workaround is to simulate a kitchenette - a bunch of kitchen-like features including a microwave, a small mini fridge, cutlery, some dishes etc. in or next to the room. Sink is the one in the bathroom right next to the room.

Would you then be happy to tick the Kitchen box plus lot of explanation and details about what is provided and how this is not the main kitchen in the shared-accommodation listing?

Can folk suggest pros and cons please?

Obviously, one con is potential disappointment, as guests might picture a full kitchen when filtering for it and demand it when they arrive not reading the explanation.
The pro is folk who want some basic kitchen facility, such as the microwave for heating soups, would still find the listing if searching filtered on Kitchen.

If I booked a place that said it had a kitchen and there were no burners and no oven (if in a Western country) and no sink in the same room as the burners and oven I would ask for a refund. On the Airbnb website the definition of a kitchen is, ā€œSpace where guests can cook their own meals.ā€. You can reheat or defrost in a microwave, but you cannot cook a meal.

9 Likes

So I just noticed in the new additional amenities section, under ā€˜kitchenā€™ you can check microwave, fridge, dishes etc without actually checking ā€˜kitchenā€™. This is what I have done

5 Likes

Thatā€™s my set up exactly (well I have a tiny electric griddle also) and I do not claim to have a kitchen. Under Promise and over deliver!

6 Likes

Good point. I checked my listing and I have indeed added the bits mentioned there Iā€™m providing.
But it now makes me think, what are the chances someone would filter just for ā€˜microwaveā€™ when they can filter for ā€˜kitchenā€™?

The problem is you are not offering a kitchen. Itā€™s like me saying what are the chances someone would filter just for bathtub when they can filter for pool, so maybe I should say that I have a pool since I have a bathtub. Also, I would refuse to pay for a clogged sink if a listing showed kitchen as an amenity, but the sink was in the bathroom.

5 Likes

How does offering a griddle in the room work? Have you had any problems with it, either safety or cleaning wise?

Indeed, thatā€™s been my general approach too, hence the query rather than just doing something of this sort.

I would not tick the full kitchen, but I would take several nice photos of the mini fridge/ microwave set up, since people donā€™t read. :wink:

11 Likes

Thatā€™s a brilliant idea @Alia_Gee, thanks so much! :+1:

2 Likes

Iā€™ve considered turning the small room upstairs where my guest stay into a little place with a mini-frig, coffee maker, toaster, microwave, small patio/cafe type table w chairs.
The thing that stops me, after the idea of 4 day guests not properly disposing of food and crumbs therefore inviting little crawly things to invade my home, is the thought that guests may do their dishes up in the bathroom sink, rather than put them in the dishwasher or wash them in the sink downstairs in the kitchen.

I just cant evenā€¦do you realize the cross contamination that could take place with washing dishes in a sink where people normally wash their hands after using the bathroom? Admittedly, my knowledge of germs goes a little too far at times, and even the kitchen sink can be a plethora of bacteria, I know that.
But, I donā€™t want guests unable to leave my ABB because theyā€™ve poisoned themselves from their own bacteria, and simply canā€™t get away from a toilet long enough to check out and get home.

Is there anyway you could provide a dishpan holder thingy that they could carry into your main kitchen or give to you to wash their dishes? Please,ā€¦donā€™t have people washing dishes in a bathroom sink if at all possible to avoid.

4 Likes

I would not want to do any cooking in a room without a sink (and counter) specifically for kitchen tasks.

BTW, microwave ovens are capable of cooking meals from scratch ā€“ from appetizers and soups, to entrees and desserts. They are not limited to only reheating and defrosting.

1 Like

Really, you can make an omelette, bake a cake, stir fry vegetables in a microwave?

1 Like

Absolutely. You can make an omelette, ā€œbakeā€ a cake and cook veggies in butter and oil in a microwave. (Donā€™t you have one?)

This is really similar to my setup. I donā€™t tick the box for kitchen (agree with underpromise, over deliver).

The point about cross-contamination is a good one. I leave a dishpan for guests that they can leave for me to do in the main kitchen. Thereā€™s also a dish wand if they really really want to wash things up in the bathroom sink.

1 Like

Iā€™m with everyone that says donā€™t check ā€˜kitchen useā€™. You are setting yourself up for disappointed guests otherwise. The old saying "under-promise and over-deliverā€™ really does work.

1 Like

Yes, I have one. I bought it for our Airbnb guests. Iā€™ve always heard that it is difficult if not impossible to brown food in a microwave. When Iā€™ve reheated food in it, Iā€™ve found that the food has a nasty texture and flavor.

1 Like

Nope ā€“ no Kitchen. Microwave, mini-fridge, sink, a couple bowls, cups and silverware. I provide breakfast dishes when I serve, and take then back wen the guests are done.

It takes a special ā€œbrowningā€ plate to achieve that aspect which Iā€™ve never used. Itā€™s primarily, though not solely used for the appearance of meats but some solve that with a browning sauce (such as Kitchen Bouquet). I am curious what food products produced the nasty texture and flavor you experienced.

I was just thinking of having the other half of the spaghetti squash for dinner I purchased last week. The only way I cook it is in the micro. I developed a method where it is done in 5 min., I kid you not. I have never found my method on the internet and Iā€™ve been doing it for years. (If you eat spaghetti sq., Iā€™ll be happy to share it and you can try it with your guest micro.)

I like how browning affects the flavor and texture of food, not just the appearance. I have reheated pasta and coffee in the microwave. I threw both away. The pasta had a nasty, slimy texture and the coffee tasted horrible. I rarely eat spaghetti squash as I find other varieties of winter squash, like kubocha, to be more flavorful. Also, I usually roast winter squash. However, it would be nice if you would share your recipe. Iā€™m always up for trying something new.

1 Like

IMHO, nothing with flour survives the microwave. Steaming vegetables is acceptable. I, however, will never choose to cook in the microwave, but I do use it to reheat leftovers that have enough moisture, regularly.

1 Like