Would you take the risk or the penalties?

Read the first post. They had only bad reviews, reviews that would predict this and Airbnb wouldn’t let @O_Apartments cancel.

Did you set up your IB rules–recommended by other hosts? if not add this. it’s a MUST. I’m surprised that airbnb wants to force you to accept this guest. I had to report one case and they told me they’ll make sure to take her profile down.

duh, I thought he chimed in later did not realize he was the OP

I think this sort of thing is the exception, cost of doing business but there is no reason Air should have forced this guest on a host with IB on.

RR

1 Like

@O_Apartments Any idea why they wouldn’t let you cancel? Have you had a lot of cancellations or something?

@RiverRock As written in the intro, the guest had multiple very negative reviews. They booked instantly, and we called Airbnb to cancel the booking because we didn’t want this guest. However, the Airbnb case manager refused the cancel penalty-free because we have declined 3 guests with bad reviews before, hence we were stuck with this guest from hell.

I would have insisted they showed me in the TOS where it says you can only cancel 3 times.

RR

2 Likes

If you do not want to accept guests with bad reviews then you need to have IB set to not accept bookings from guests that are not recommended by other hosts. It is not set this way by default. Here is a screen shot from my listing. I do not have it set either (but have had zero issues to date, knock wood.)
43%20PM

What total assholes! I am a new host with airbnb but have been a landlord for over 11 years. I have NEVER had a tenant do anything like this.

I just turned instant book OFF - and it is going to stay that way. I just read up about their so-called “you can cancel anytime” and it certainly does not look like the interests of the hosts are covered:

airbnb dot com/help/article/990/as-a-host-what-penalties-apply-if-i-cancel-a-reservation-for-a-stay

This looks like a job for FB/Twitter…

I didnt know that. Good to know. I have hit the NO button thrice in a 100 stays.

So sorry this happened to you. Me to. I imagine you felt so violated.

Well actually he could have pushed Airbnb to cancel by speaking to another customer rep (as advised here) but chose not to @JJD.

2 Likes

Wow, I am so sorry those guests treated your place that way. They should be banned from the platform. Even so, Air would probably let them create a new profile and abuse other hosts going forward. :rage:

@Helsi Truly. I personally would have kept calling. It’s an absurd situation.

1 Like