Would you give a refund (or partial refund) in this situation?

I bet you do. It was a harsh lesson to learn :frowning:
What is your average night stay? Maybe you could set a 3-night minimum and juggle the figures so the cleaning fee is less?
Apologies if I’m straying into ‘teaching grandmother to suck eggs’ territory.

1 Like

Haha! No apologies needed. My average stay is probably about 3.5 nights. I have thought about increasing the minimum to 3 nights but so far the cabin is renting well (without allowing 1 night stays) so I just haven’t really had the need to change it up. The only reason to increase to 3 is the potential of less work… (less turnovers) but it may be more income as well since our weekends get booked up by the 2 night stays…

Yes, it’s very hard to get away from the weekend break crowd! That’s the majority of guests for most hosts in high tourist areas and nature retreats like yours.
Do let us know what you decide to do and, of course, how/whether to respond to the review should it come.

Thanks!! I will do that. I’m offering her a $100 refund and will see what she says…

2 Likes

Point is: your cleaning crew is doing a fantastic job …consider that this silly lady only found those two minor things or 3 if your towels have a smokey smell in your huge cabin and I am sure they were looking or hunting for more issues.

It would really be unfair to your crew to shorten their pay … and 1/2 amounts to about 20% discount …btw how much are they requesting?

But please …big Thumbs Down for the guest.

@AlexSJ They are asking for $250. I plan to leave them a review on the last day …

I talked to my maintenance crew who said when they were on site to fix the hot water issue, they heard the women complain the ENTIRE time, and they could tell they were even complaining about other places they had stayed. It was just a huge complain fest and eventually my crew had to tune them out.

2 Likes

After your last post, I’m beginning to think nah, give her nothing.
She needs to learn that Airbnb is not the Hilton and it’s not a bartering system.

@AlexSJ, I think you meant to reply to happilytorn not me! But anyway, I’d be surprised if the cleaners were docked any pay. Happilytorn seems like a fair person.

2 Likes

Don’t you have: No parties in your house rules …because that is what this was …a Complainfest …

You need to call Airbnb and discuss this with a hopefully sympayhetic cs rep or ask for a higher up. Ask for their guidance on this: Point out you send a crew out Saturday night for a slightly less than desired hot water heater (did they measure the temp? If so …make mention of that). Go over the square footage, the bbq, oven, microwave …all sparkling clean …

Hopefully they will make a mention and can check that no review allowed check for you …

1 Like

already tried that they said no.

Given that she has only one review as a guest, your review of her will count much higher than her review of you. Make it count.

7 Likes

Oh yes x 10000 to this. She needs to learn. Please don’t hold back happilytorn.

2 Likes

I’m not planning on holding back. How should I write the review?

Why don’t you put together a draft and post it here for comment @happilytorn?

4 Likes

Yes, agree with @Helsi. You should post a draft.
We’re not going to do all the work for you…! :wink:

1 Like

I am done with refunds, unless the guest leaves (which has never happened). Too many whiners looking for a free ride.

2 Likes

@Magwitch @Helsi Alright alright… I’m not an English major for a reason! (I graduated with a math degree and English is my second language!)

how about this:

I can not recommend Betsy. She told me her night was ruined because they couldn’t get sound on TV from DVD player. When I suggested to unplug the HDMI and plug it back in, she told me she couldn’t because there’s too many wires. (Eventually when they did try that idea it worked fine but by then she demanded a refund because they also found one hair somewhere in my 3500+ sq ft home. ) I also suggested to watch the DVD on the top floor or on the basement level, but she didn’t want to because they were already too comfortable on the main level… I think Betsy may be better suited for hotels (that provide all types of seasonings and extra rolls of paper towels as our one roll wasn’t enough for her one night stay) than a vacation rental. Hosts beware.

2 Likes

I do not recommend Betsy, she made up frivolous complaints in order to try and stay for free. She is better suited to a cruise ship where she would be thrown overboard for her behavior. Hosts beware.

RR

26 Likes

I read this out loud to my boss!!! I’m laughing SO HARD LOL!!! but i worry i’d be blocked from Air BnB LOL.

3 Likes

you need to put “found” in quotes to read

(Eventually when they did try that idea it worked fine but by then she demanded a refund because they also “found” one hair somewhere in my 3500+ sq ft home. )

No! This is not court and even if they agree they will then report you for extortion and get your bad review removed, as well as likely a full refund. Don’t do it. Decline claim and review last minute.

1 Like