Would You Down-Rate a Guest Like This?

That’s my understanding; Airbnb keeps their fee.

1 Like

I think this type of behavior after a confirmed booking deserves to be disclosed to other hosts. This type of guest knows the system too well and abusing it. I would not want to host a guest like this.

2 Likes

yes, agreed. it feels tacky to charge someone another $20, when “extra fees” are a grievance of guests already.

same, i had a guest ask why they didn’t get a full refund and i had to explain that ABB still keeps their fee, nothing to do with me. it’s annoying that we have to do this PR for them.

1 Like

As far as I’m aware, Airbnb only refunds their fees if the host cancels. If the guest cancels, and the host just authorizes a refund, fees are not returned.
It used to say that a guest could get the fees returned up to 3 times a year if they cancelled, but I don’t know if that is still the case.

1 Like

It seems that there are hosts who have posted above who would want to know but I’m not one of them.

I really only care about the guests being clean and quiet. I’m not bothered by guests asking for discounts, late check-in or late checkout or anything else.

I seem to be in the minority though…

2 Likes

@gillian There was a time when Airbnb would indeed refund the full amount of the guest’s booking. However, their fee portion came out of the host’s future earnings. I fell for that exactly one time. It was couched in a message they sent you confirming you wanted to refund the full amount but no explanation that you, not them, would be the source of the refund.

3 Likes

yes, there’s always some trick with them. Super positive and polite language that hides the fact they won’t be losing any money and aren’t really offering us anything. I can’t really see anything new in the Winter Release, there’s no new features yet in the review process. I asked on the CC and they have no answer. A mod answered me back, with the wrong answer, and she’s since deleted her post.

I think that prospective guest should have made those requests prior to booking, not afterwards.

2 Likes

Why would you ‘move heaven and earth’ to make an early check in possible ???

Why block out the day before to accommodate and lose money.

That makes no business sense.

Just say no or charge them.

2 Likes

I don’t any more, but at one time it seemed the thing to do, to try to accommodate.

I would though today consider blocking out the day before to accommodate because now our policy is that there is a 50% fee for an early check-in before 3 pm.

So, if a guest said ‘yes’ to paying that 50% we’d consider (meaning maybe we’d do it, maybe not, evaluating the situation) whether better to take 50% of the rate for sure or hoping to get 100% of the rate the day before as a maybe.

Without fail, hosts are always the worst guests.

Personally, I would have cancelled the moment they asked for a pet.

And yes, I would down vote them and leave honest feedback.

Is that like “women always stain sheets with make-up and blood”?

I have had several guests who also were hosts. They were all great guests. So “without fail” is not some universal truth, only your personal experience.

5 Likes

That’s not my experience all the hosts I have hosted were lovely (hosted at least 60) .

blanket statements like 'hosts make the worst guests, ‘Chinese people are messy in the bathroom’ 'young people will trash my house, are just generalisations based on prejudice .

4 Likes

We’ve hosted a lot of hosts. They’ve all been great guests, and many of them are among our “repeat offenders.”

One pair of hosts who’ve stayed here several times consistently rate us 4 on Location but 5 overall. The 4 doesn’t matter, so I haven’t mentioned it to them.

1 Like

Nonsense. Are you a beginner at this profession? You do seem to be pretty naive. I could be wrong of course…

3 Likes

Looking over their posting history it seems they are a hater/complainer that likes to stereotype people and get their posts flagged and deleted.

3 Likes

I just had a negative review I gave a guest removed by AirBnB. He didn’t follow the house rules, checked out and left the house unlocked, provided a bogus phone number.

He complained to AirBnB and they removed my review with no explanation. I am well within the review period but am now unable to rewrite the review. I am a super host with over 70 rentals and the guest had joined just a couple of months ago.

My messages fall on deaf ears at CS and they only reply with canned messages so I am not sure your giving a negative review will do anything if the guest can simply say they don’t agree!

Would you be willing (if you have a copy/screen shot) of your review to post it here (without identifying information) so we could see it and what might have tripped by Airbnb CS?

There’s a lot of wisdom/knowledge here. They might be able to craft an argument that will get Airbnb reconsidering.

Of course, it could simply be too late.

2 Likes

I have read of this happening before, then the host managed to get CS to repost the review, it got taken down again, etc. like some absurdist play.

Did you ask CS to tell you what your review violated in order for the guest to manage to have it removed? Unless you really said something that is against their review policy, I would push them on this. It’s outrageous not to be able to warn other hosts about a bad guest.

(You can never “rewrite” or edit a review once it has been posted.)

1 Like

Was part of your review that you asked for, and received, a bogus phone number from your guest?