Would you book a place without a dishwasher?

Can I book him instead then @Maggieroni next time I’m self-catering with no dishwasher :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh that white and green bottle!!! Yes memories indeed !!

1 Like

No dishwasher here in Hawaii, and that is fairly common. I’m clear with my listing and the picture of the kitchen area leaves nothing to the imagination.

1 Like

I live most of the year in the UK and every one now has dishwashers so we have come to take them for granted. That said, if I was booking for a few days for just me and hubby it would not be a factor but if we were booking for say a week with the family we would definitely want a dishwasher.

1 Like

We have a dishwasher at home but have only once stayed in an Airbnb with one and it really doesn’t bother us at all. As others have said, it tends to be mostly eating out and light cooking and it’s actually quite nice to wash and dry the few dishes together and chat. It’s part of the slowing down and simpler pleasures of a holiday …

When we hired a large house for all the family, the grandchildren, who are used to dishwashers at home, thought washing up in a sink (with Fairy, of course!) was great fun and managed to do it all with only one glass broken!

1 Like

If you have mostly couples, I’d say the dishwasher isn’t crucial at all. We are an American couple with 2 small kids and just cooking breakfast entails quite a bit of dishes so I really prefer a dishwasher but I just booked a summer beach cottage without one, so it’s not a deal-breaker. If I’m deciding between 2 similar units, I’m definitely going to go with the dishwasher.

1 Like

Rather appropriate Mom Spends Beach Vacation Assuming All Household Duties In Closer Proximity To Ocean

4 Likes

Yes, vacations with our kids just means doing all the reproductive labor I do at home but with fewer resources, less convenient access to things I need, and no nanny or daycare… Enjoy!

1 Like

Love it!

@chicagohost, ah yes, I remember those days … and even worse when you’re stuck in a beautiful farmhouse in the middle of Wales and it rains and THERE’S NO TV (and computers, iphoes etc hadn’t been invented yet …)

The only way for hard-pressed parents to have a relaxing holiday with small kids is to have parents who live in a nice house in a sunny country with a pool where granny does all the work … ask me how I know!

3 Likes

I am in the USA. My husband and I have rented vacation rentals and do not ever use the dishwasher even if they have one. We have never chosen to have one even in our own home. They seem wasteful to us. So, the answer to your question is, NO, we would not pass by your rental without considering it if it didn’t have a dishwasher.

4 Likes

From the USA as well. My AirBnB suite doesn’t even have a kitchen;). I use compostable plates/ware, have a refrigerator, microwave and toaster as well as water purifier, no sink except bathroom. All five star reviews. Don’t think a dishwasher is essential.

1 Like

Energy efficient dishwashers are appreciably less wasteful than hand washing dishes.

2 Likes

I don’t have a dishwasher in my listing (a guest house). I’m a superhost in Santa Monica CA with 218 reviews. So far no one has mentioned a dishwasher, much less complained about not having one. However, my place is small, so I accept only two guests, not families or groups. Furthermore I live in an area with lots of great restaurants that my guests want to try.

1 Like

My place has no dishwasher, and no stove! My weekends are sold out year around.I mostly do shorts stays two days to one week, most people don’t really want to cook on short vacations. And I don’t host large parties either ,two is my limit.I think large parties try to save money by cooking and people who stay for a longer period of time may want cooking facilities, I just never wanted to clean the stove., That’s why didn’t put one in. They don’t really need a dishwasher as I give them plenty of dishes and silverware and also they have lots of disposable paper plates and plastic silverware.

1 Like

I guess it depends on how big your place is. My cottage in UK, sleeps 6 people and a toddler. So thats a lot of washing up. I do have a dishwasher.

2 Likes

I live in the US and have lived in several European countries in the past. I’ve never had a dishwasher in my adult life, and wouldn’t notice if a rental didn’t have one.

1 Like

We do not commonly have dishwashers in Japan, and most listings do not offer one. Most tourists prefer to eat out anyway. So it would be nice, but not a must-have.

1 Like