Would you be able to watch a 24 inch tv from your bed?

Yes exactly … that’s why I won’t be doing it because I thought through at great length!

I can’t think of a way to put telly on a shelf near bed like you explain… does this not mean they would be looking sideways?

I put 32” TVs in both bedrooms after a few guests said TVs in bedrooms would be nice.

They had a point. People don’t always want to watch the same shows. My best desk is in the living room so better for kids to watch TV in the bedroom.

32” is a bit small but works with the space.

TVs are cheap these days. Walmart has a 40” Roku TV for $178. Cheap to add. Lists as a nice amenity. If space isn’t a problem add TVs.

Btw-I had to remind myself I was not furnishing my condo solely for my use. If guests want bedroom TVs I should offer them if possible.

1 Like

Are a significant number of your guests bemoaning the lack of TV, and if not, are you just figuring that it will make your listing more attractive to book?

I just wonder what led to the decision to put in TVs. Young people, by and large, don’t watch TV and neither do a lot of people. Is your demographic of guests ones who have indicated TV would be a welcome addition? I have never had a TV in my house at all and neither do any of my friends or family watch TV.

Also, you rent 4 separate bedrooms in your house, right? Have you considered how guests having a TV in their room might annoy other guests? If it’s the type of guest who turns it in for “background” (which I’ll never understand), the constant droning of the TV, or if guests watch it loud enough for others to hear, could be a whole new hosting issue.

Personally, I would not book a shared home that had TVs in the bedrooms for this reason.

2 Likes

The point we are trying to get you to see is most of us don’t have a 24 inch TV, or probably the inclination, even it we did, to go and get it and set it up at the end of our beds so you can check as to whether we can view it properly.

We already had this discussion with him on the other thread he posted about TVs where he was given the same advice :slight_smile:

The shelf (built into the wall) is deep enough that I’m able to angle the free-standing screen so that pretty well it faces the head of the bed – it’s almost perpendicular to wall at the back of the shelf. I’ve tested it out myself and checked with the first couple of guests, and we all found it comfortable. Whenever we have guests with kids (and that’s fairly often) this usually becomes the kids’ bedroom.

I’ve already decided against TVs due to the need for bigger ones, so that people can actually see! But this is interesting, thank you. I hadn’t thought about it putting people off. I’m not sure many people would have the foresight to check but none the less I wouldn’t want anyone regretting staying because of it

Yes, I had thought about the potential of the sound annoying other people, but only after someone suggested this (possibly yourself?!) in the last thread on this subject. This was a really helpful point and it ruled out tvs for me for two of my rooms,
but not all of them (one room is on its own floor for example, and another is at the opposite end of the house, alone).

No,
No one is bemoaning lack of TVs and I’m fully booked. Not concerned about charging more - currently the bathrooms are shared and I don’t live next to Big Ben, so there’s a limit and I’m more than happy with what I’m making. I’ve been doing up the rooms and just the at the fun bit where I can consider these arguably extra things. I’m not determined to get TVs, I was just exploring it! Mattress toppers will be next but I don’t want to bore you so I’ll wait a bit!

Helsi I’m not asking for advise, or at least I wasn’t! It doesn’t stop people giving it but that’s our of my hands. I was asking if anyone knew whether or not they’d be able to see that distance. If you don’t know, you don’t know. But you can’t speak for others and it’s just off to say I expected you to set up an experiment at home :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Then it’s not something that’s worth spending money on, IMO. The things that are worth spending money on to improve your listing are things which would be appreciated by the demographic of guests you get.

If you have a fair number of guests who work online, for instance, a comfortable computer chair, good work lighting, and a nice desk.
If you get a lot of female guests who dress up to go out at night, or to work, and seem to spend a lot of time hogging a shared bathroom, a full length mirror and a lighted make-up mirror in the bedroom.

Adjust and add amenities that will make the demographic of guests you get say, “She thought of everything!” and ignore what other hosts might claim is essential or important. We all operate in different markets and attract different types of guests.

Good decision. If you put too small a TV in, guests might start moving furniture around in order to get closer to the TV. I’m sure you wouldn’t want them to do that.

1 Like

Unless you do what my dentist does – put it on the ceiling facing down (depending on how high off the ground your bed is).

1 Like

I used to go to a hairdresser when I lived in Canada whose ceiling was solidly plastered with postcards his clients send him from their travels around the world. It was so much more interesting to look at when having your hair washed than a boring ceiling.

Someone else I knew had a similar wall facing the toilet.

1 Like

I don’t think I was focusing on the wrong thing. I think Ralf bought up a valid point, but that eyesight is more important, and certainly for my demographic, and therefore to me in this situation.

No not all of us do have TVs in our bedrooms. I don’t have one either.

The reason I don’t go to the rooms with a tv to try it out, as you suggest, is because, as I’ve said before, I know what the outcome of that would be! I don’t need to go and test it out. But, as eyesight varies from person to person, and I know mine isn’t great, I thought it might be helpful to gauge a more general sample of the population!

It’s so useful to hear other people’s thoughts on things, and to get second opinions. But if you can’t apply a bit of critical thinking and work out which points are relevant for your business, you probably wouldn’t be able to do this on your own. I guess we all get different things from this group and for me I enjoy connecting with other hosts, but also using it as a kind of focus group for various things. I’m not an inexperienced host, I’ve been hosting one way or another for seventeen years, so although I value other opinions, please don’t mistake this for me being wet behind the ears!

Ask yourself if guests would be ok to leave their contacts in or use their glasses while in bed looking at a small screen 12 feet away.

1 Like

Oh, I wasn’t suggesting you are a clueless newbie. It wasn’t really directed at you, but just a general comment, as other posters, who may be just starting out, read threads and glean info from them.

There are lots of videos, blogs, hosting forums, etc., with self-proclaimed Airbnb “experts” telling hosts that this or that is essential, like TVs, high speed Wifi, all white linen and towels, private bathrooms, etc., etc. It is simply their opinion presented as fact, but many newbie hosts fall for it. The great thing about Airbnbs is that each one is unique (aside from corporate managed hotel rooms and bland cookie cutter listings), so guests have lots to choose from and can find ones that meet their wants and needs.

Don’t need to as conclusion reached light years ago

1 Like

Neither do old people. (Me)

1 Like

Nor me, or any other of my baby boomer friends.

2 Likes