Why has no one asked me how I earn $10,000 a month for studio apartments?

Wow! Have we just become besties?!

My sister in law is a senior accommodation manager for one of the biggest accommodation chains in Australia and when I tell her about some of the non-helpful responses I receive on this forum she always makes the same comment: so they have no interest in learning and improving.

We have really interesting conversations about the industry. She has a degree in tourism and has worked for many very well known international accommodation companies. I really appreciate being able to ask her for advice and I always follow it as she is the true professional and I have just learnt as I have gone along. We had a conversation this week about having a minimum stay over peak times.

I love the fact that she takes an interest in what I do and that I can always turn to her for help even though I am small fry.

Think I might send her the link to this thread so she knows how much I appreciate her help.

2 Likes

WE call those jacuzzi bathtubs, though usually I donā€™t think they hold 5 people and the pumps are for the jets, they donā€™t keep it hot.

Just because you feel some previous posters havenā€™t ā€˜treated you wellā€™, doesnā€™t mean you will get trolled if you post your listing.

Lots of people have posted their listing on a thread set up for that purpose and no-one has had a negative response. Go on. Give it a whirl.

1 Like

Is this a joke? A passive-aggressive insult? If your sister in law acutally said that, your sister in law is wrong.

4 Likes

Iā€™m voting for this one.

2 Likes

I think there is a lot of learning on here about hosting, people and ourselves. However people donā€™t agree with us all the time. Thatā€™s ok though, as long as people debate the issues rather than getting personal.

3 Likes

You might have missed another thread where 50% of the messages were removed by a moderator. They posts were seriously out of line and very personal. I have nothing to gain by posting my listings but to open myself up to more ridicule.

1 Like

ā€œdonā€™t let the buggers grind you downā€ Poppy!
Good British political quote there

2 Likes

I very much doubt that anyone would really say that, surely? It must be a wind up :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Maybe I should clarify that I am talking about the personal attack messages I have received, not the ones we have sharing information. If people donā€™t like what you have written so feel the need to sling personal insults it is difficult to see that these messages are in the spirit of learning and improving.

I thought it was obvious I was talking about those types of responses, but apparently I was taken the wrong way - again. Might be time for me to disappear back down the cyber space hole I used to live in.

1 Like

Iā€™m sure that all the members here are very willing to help you to learn and improve. You should also be sure to search and look back at old topics. If I remember correctly youā€™ve only been hosting for a few years so Iā€™m sure the forum can help.

And donā€™t worry,Iā€™m sure that none of the regular members here indulge in ā€˜personal attack messagesā€™. You must have had messages from the occasional troll (read nutjob :slight_smile: ) that we get here from time to time. Honestly, Iā€™ve been a member here for years and have never received ā€˜personal attack messagesā€™.

All will be well.

Iā€™m sure that youā€™ve seen topics here where members have asked for input so that they can ā€˜learn and improveā€™ and we can do the same for you too.

1 Like

Absolutely, and in most of my recent threads I have thanked the forum for the wonderful things I have learnt over the years and continue to do so.

I am forever re writing my documents and guests messages because someone here wrote something in a better way that I did.
Just last week I changed my guest welcome message to include: " Please treat the villa with love, respect and care" and leave her as youā€™d hope Iā€™d leave your home. I thought the love, respect and care were so powerful. Unfortunately I canā€™t remember who wrote it as I was too busy plagiarising at the time. Now all I need to do is get the guests to read it!

2 Likes

To Americans, a ā€œvillaā€ is a large European country house with a garden. What you describe as a ā€œvillaā€ would be called a townhouse in the US. As someone else said, it sounds like a term used by pushy real estate sales people selling overpriced housing.

4 Likes

In Australia we call a townhouse a place that is on more than one level. Usually with the living kitchen area downstairs and the bedrooms upstairs. Itā€™s interesting how the terms all mean such different things in different countries. Some of the American housing names I read on here I have no idea what they mean.

I wouldnā€™t say a villa in Australia was used by pushy salesman, the housing market in Australia doesnā€™t need pushy salesman it sells itself. However it is a term that is now used to describe units that have been renovated, modernised and are more up-market but at the end of the day they are just units.

And I live in a 1886 design called a Gentlemanā€™s Villa, it came out of that centuries version of House and Garden.
Carrington Villa is an Australia.

That is what I think of as a townhouse here in the US too.

My places are just single level units/villas. One is a studio, the other one next door is meant to be a 2 bedroom but we were going poor reviews about the tiny second room and the whole place being too squeezy for more than 2 people, so we pulled out the beds, put some gym equipment in there and re branded it as a one bedroom for more money.

2 Likes

This is true in the UK too. A townhouse is usually 3 levels, sometimes 4. Sometimes they have an integral garage on the ground floor. They are normally on expensive land in a city so the architecture saves on space, and they are not always a cheap option.
Itā€™s funny, on Airbnb I had to choose townhouse as a category because it was the closest, but not really accurate. My house is terraced, which I understand Americans call a row house. A terrace is normally Victorian or Georgian, whereas a townhouse is new. But then about a third of us in the UK live in period houses, which is not so in the new world.

1 Like

To complicate things more, it depends on where in the US you are. East and west coast terminology is very different.

1 Like

I find it odd that a single storey dwelling would be called a townhouse. That would be a bungalow.

3 Likes