Why has no one asked me how I earn $10,000 a month for studio apartments?

We millennials have been joking about the avocado toast here in the States since your politican made his remarks.

2 Likes

Nice to hear it reached all the way over there!

We have an ā€œinā€ cafe behind our house that seats 90 and on weekends I have counted up to 30 millennials waiting outside just to get through the door (there are more waiting inside). It is beautifully fitted out but I wonā€™t go anymore as itā€™s noisy, expensive and often the food and coffee is only lukewarm!

Itā€™s not that good - call it the power of Instagram and Facebook.

1 Like

Saving money on avocado toast could mean a house deposit in 100 years.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s why itā€™s important when on an international forum to specify when you are talking about a specific country; as terminology can vary, with a term meaning different things in different places.

To me a villa is normally a detached, upmarket property (although some can be semi-detached).

What a shame your husband refers to your earnings as a ā€˜pittanceā€™. I am sure many of those struggling to live on the breadline in Australia, would welcome the huge difference it would make to their lives.

He should be congratulating you on your entrepreneurial streak, rather than deriding what you earn :slight_smile:

If you guys donā€™t need the ā€˜pittanceā€™ of the income you make, you could look at supporting young homeless people to help ensure they arenā€™t vulnerable on the streets at night through donating this income.

4 Likes

and just over Ā£5000 in UK pounds

1 Like

Thank you, thatā€™s what I think and thatā€™s what I told him!!

He dislikes that so much of the work is evenings, weekends and holiday times as that is when he is at home. He also doesnā€™t like that when I hear the Air ā€œchimeā€ I drop everything and respond - Pavlov at his best.

His major issue is that for the amount I allow it to manage my life the return is not good. He says: if you want to work that hard couldnā€™t you earn some ā€œdecentā€ money.

Thereā€™s quite a history of men getting uppity when wives donā€™t give them attention because of work lol.

7 Likes

Or in developing countries where many live on less than US $1 a day.

What is he suggesting you do as an alternative that would give you the same flexibility, same hours and a huge amount more than the ā€˜pittanceā€™ he says you currently get?

Iā€™m sure weā€™d all be interesting in considering such an opportunity :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think heā€™s suggesting I shouldnā€™t be working. He would be horrified if he knew that I was having this conversation with anyone, let alone strangers on the internet!

He dislikes that it interferes with ā€œourā€ time, his attitude is that work is at work and home is home.

I enjoy it, most of the time. But I have to admit that in the early days before I had ironed out some of the issues, like accepting the management of properties that I shouldnā€™t have, he had to deal with me stressed and upset. That doesnā€™t happen anymore.

Ahh so he doesnā€™t want you to earn more money (as you mentioned initially), he just doesnā€™t want you working at all.

Unfortunately, there are millions of men around the world who donā€™t like their wives working or find it difficult when their wives have a more high powered role then them.

I am glad you feel you can offload here. Of course work is sometimes stressful, but if you enjoy it more often than not and it enables you to do things you otherwise wouldnā€™t be able to or donate money to those less well off, then why not.

Why not have a home office which you can use to separate business and pleasure and have someone that provides support for your business in the evening so you donā€™t have to.

1 Like

Thank you for your very kind message. I should add that this topic has only gone off on this tangent as I was accused of ā€œshowing offā€ about the gross income of the places that I manage, and only being interested in money.

In my OP I was trying to point out that this is not a case of my ā€œdadā€™s car is better than yoursā€ but rather curiosity that no one in the three thousand people who have read my previous post asked me how I achieve, what I consider to be a good gross income, on a studio apartment.

I have always worked so itā€™s not a power play issue. Itā€™s more that we are now in a position where I donā€™t need to so he would prefer that I didnā€™t work when he is home as it intrudes on our life. I am painting it much worse than it is.

As far as I am concerned I am just clicking messages on my laptop/tablet/phone so donā€™t need a home office, but I appreciate your practical advice. When I travel and am in a different time zone my business partner takes over a lot of the immediate work.

My business partner and I have an agreement that it doesnā€™t matter who replies to guests, whoever can do it faster is best. However, she repeatedly says that when I am not travelling she canā€™t get a look in as I am so fast. I am a control freak who believes I can do it best, but the business wouldnā€™t exist without her and she knows this. We work well together and I am very grateful for her counsel.

2 Likes

Thanks for taking the time to lay it all out. This is all good advice. Itā€™s a well worn path for those of us who have been hosting awhile but you never know when someone new to hosting is going to stumble upon the forum looking for some tips on how to stage their listing.

And when converting the currency and teasing out all the details we find out there is nothing exceptional about what poppy is doing. Sheā€™s just a property manager serving an upscale market.

I donā€™t mean to insult or demean what you do @Poppy, you are clearly doing a great job and there is nothing wrong with being pround of your work. But as it turns out most of us are doing pretty much the same in our markets. Thatā€™s probably why no one asked when you dropped the statement the first time and no one asked right away the second time either.

Maybe I did the math wrong but if you are grossing $10,000 a month and taking 20% as a fee, then giving 30% of that to your business partner you are making about a $1000 a month when converted to US dollars. Thatā€™s about what I make on my one Airbnb rental. Like you, I donā€™t have to do Airbnb, Iā€™m retired. Itā€™s easy work that I do from home in my spare time. I enjoy it. Luckily I donā€™t have to answer to anyone for my time.

Iā€™ll answer this again, and clear up about ā€œviews.ā€ That doesnā€™t mean that 3k people read your previous topic or all the replies in it. It means 3k people clicked on the topic. They may have glanced at it, they may have scanned the posts, they may have read nothing and clicked away. There are several of us who read all the post and frankly, I donā€™t remember you dropping that in there. And the reason is probably because we donā€™t think itā€™s that big of a deal. Most of of are owner- operators. We arenā€™t property managers and we arenā€™t professional investors. Nothing wrong with that, nothing against you, it just doesnā€™t relate to us so we skim over those posts.

So to repeat, Iā€™m not trying to insult you, Iā€™m trying to answer the question that served as a title for this topic.

8 Likes

Poppy is only a few years in and will no doubt learn more as time goes on. She can easily increase her income and reduce her work time (by far) if she develops her marketing methods and so on.

3 Likes

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate it.

1 Like

Oh my gosh can I relate! My stress
level has gone down a bit since we (I) started hosting three months ago, but this continues to be a source of friction between us. I have to have my phone on the table when we are having dinner out, or in my lap in the movie theater, etc. I used to turn my phone ringer off at night before I started this business, but I havenā€™t since 3 July, and ever since we received a call about the smoke alarms going off at 5:50 AM from one of our guests, I havenā€™t dared to turn it off again. You would think heā€™d understand that this is a business that requires being available to your customers 24/7. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

How can you turn your phone of when you are rated on the quickness of your responses?
Coming into our floral festival I will get queries at 2 in the morning which I will respond to - because i feel I have to. My husband refers to these as ā€œMr Pingā€ and he needs my attention!

1 Like

I donā€™t respond to the phone from dinner time through until breakfast time :slight_smile:

I leave my phone in the kitchen when I go to bed. Iā€™m a host, not a 24 hour machine.

6 Likes

This is another case of depends on the listing. Even though I have IB I have many last minute guests and even people inquiring from on the road, or already in town. When my calendar is open my phone is on. Right now Iā€™m booked for the next month except for Saturdays so I can have my phone off a lot more.

It definitely does and thereā€™s such a huge variety. I rarely get last minute guests as weā€™re a ā€˜fly-toā€™ destination. People plan their vacations here well in advance. Sometimes I find when I get up that thereā€™s been a message waiting for me on Airbnb since three oā€™clock in the morning or some such hour. But invariably the message is from an instant book guest from Europe. Any moderately intelligent guest (some would say thatā€™s a contradiction!) knows that thereā€™s a time difference between Florida and Europe.

Incidentally, to dispel another pretty famous Airbnb myth, I have bookings in both apartments through until April next year. (Not completely full, there are a few gap days) and conventional wisdom says ā€™ you should increase your prices if youā€™re booked more than a month in advanceā€™. Not so. I say it so often, I know, but people donā€™t buy on price and many people are very happy to pay decent prices and book well in advance.

2 Likes