Why Guests Leave Something in a Review that They Didn't Give You a Chance to Correct

Haha, I told my husband that if he did it again I swore to spend the rest of the trip naked to teach him a lesson. But my ever-doting husband said it wouldn’t be a detterent (he’s just nice, it would’ve been :grin: )

You’ll see in my other post, if you can bare to trudge through the length of it, that he later told us we had to leave a door unlocked so that he could get in :grimacing: He implied that it was for the pool but it was all one structure and not that big with no internal locks and he’d already invited himself in twice at that point. To be fair, I think he just feels like it’s his place so he has the right. I don’t think that he meant to be rude and he was friendly enough when he was there but the rental was supposed to be an entire residential home and he came across a bit invasive.

You are going to be amazed at the difference.

2 Likes

No Excuse for that. We have been landlords for 13 years with tenants directly upstairs, and have NEVER just “knocked and walked in”. Even when the roof had a leak in Feb or the plumbing leak dripping into our space from above. It would have been entirely legal, also in our lease, and we still didn’t do it.

1 Like

This is important if it’s what you sensed. Maybe he’s as ignorant about “privacy” & “pandemic” etiquette as I am about proper tea brewing. Should he know better? Yes. But maybe he needs to be educated.

Maybe even the same about the masks. Maybe he would have kindly complied.

I DO think he, like me and my tea, needs to be made aware. Only you can determine if it should be public, private or a little bit of both.

Maybe his reaction in a private exchange on your concerns might help you decide.

About to read your detailed post so maybe I’ll feel differently after having more facts.

I hear you but the thing is that proper tea brewing has not been daily news all over the entire world for the last (almost) 2 years.

But one can only wonder how Dr. Fauci takes his tea :wink:

3 Likes

He may be ignorant about privacy but the “pandemic etiquette” isn’t up for debate. It’s part of Airbnb’s stated policy. And even if it were not, there is information everyday from mainstream media to government agency announcements about mask wearing. I only see information about tea brewing on this forum. And certainly tea brewing of one method or another is unrelated to a deadly global pandemic. I know you are trying to be nice but some of us out here are really tired of the excuse making that is done for the pro-covid folks.

All that said, I’ve forgotten my mask on MORE THAN ONE occasion and I’d appreciate it if people would remind me when they see me.

2 Likes

No doubt! But I’m seriously taken aback by the nonchalance or disbelief some people display about the pandemic.

If he’s going to host, the guest has to come before his personal feelings on something like this…& if he’s one of “those”, he may be missing that point.

A review that highlights this reality may be the “check” he needs.

1 Like

Honest, I’m not. My WBC is 1.5 +/- .3 and I’m in immune suppressant drug therapy. This is a huge deal for me.

I’m trying to get with my notion of “honest and fair”.

So far this guys sounds like he needs a kind, yet completely transparent reality check about several things. I think it’s possible to be polite and totally honest at the same time.

I’ve got to get over and read the detailed post…I may delete this after I see it

2 Likes

My understanding is that once you have the key, it is your space.
Every lease I have ever seen has proscribed access rules. When I have been called to one of the listings for whatever reason…. I knock and wait at the door for permission of entry.
I know that when I worked for government housing and the police became involved, one of the first questions was - who is the tenant and who holds the keys.

1 Like

I have too, especially when doing mundane chores (like going to the shared laundry room) as my brain tends to switch off at those times.

I carry two spare masks in my bag and from time to time have needed them. I like the gaiter-type because they cover up some twisty, scarry, lumpy bits but some buildings, especially government ones, won’t allow those.

Last year my other half had lots of outpatient treatment and we still have packets of disposable masks that he was given then. I keep one hanging on the doorknob on the inside of the front door. Therefore anyone who comes knocking is given it.

When I’m doing a meet and greet I carry two and if guests are mask-less, I just hand them over without saying a thing.

They might think I’m being over-cautious but as most of them are younger than me, they’re probably okay with indulging the old dear. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have multiple lanyards so when I go out I put a mask hanging around my neck…if I remember. I also have multiple masks in my car, hanging by my front door, etc.

An ex gf just stayed in my Airbnb 3 nights. She’s an anti vaxxer but not a Trumpy kind, she’s the hippie kind. We visited inside my house, distanced and with doors open a couple of days but on the third morning she wanted to have breakfast together and I declined. I don’t know who she hung out with while in town. Until we know more about the latest variant and the vaccine’s efficacy against it, I’m erring on the side of caution.

2 Likes

Funny enough, no key at all. And we were told and then reminded (because I lock doors before I go to bed out of habit) to leave a door unlocked for him.

It’s not the worst arrangement in the world but I think it should be disclosed. He’s kind of lucky that it’s me that’s annoyed and not one of those loud mouth, arrogant guests on reddit :wink:

If he would’ve said, “I’m coming over”, we would’ve put on our masks and/or met him outside.

Why, again? That’s so perplexing to me. I truly could not get behind leaving my door unlocked so the host could come/go…apparently as s/he (or whomever else wanted to) pleased.

I really believe I would have called ABB to see if any other accommodations could be found. That “leave the door unlocked for me” seems so weird. What am I missing? I better re-read the thread.

This guy’s hosting sounds stranger and stranger. He never locks the doors and guests can’t either, except from inside?

1 Like

I guess they can but he asks them not to? That’s a hard no from me. And 10 reviews isn’t very many. Half of them are probably from friends and relatives.

2 Likes

I imagine I could have and I don’t doubt that I could’ve gotten at least a partial refund but I was hell-bent on having a relaxing time. And I had my cousin and her husband there too. And I just didn’t want a bad vibe on the 5-days that I was getting for vacation.

It was easier to clean the toilets (and the sinks and the showers and all of the dishes and the refrigerator…) than it was to argue with a host and/or Airbnb and pack up and relocate and…wait, has everyone forgotten how awful it is to call Airbnb? That was the last thing I wanted to do on my vacation. So I was a bit of a sucker, kind of stuck.

Either you deal with the substandard Airbnb or you disrupt your vacation. And we all know that it could’ve taken days to get relocated. I may have only ended up with a $75 voucher. It’s a crap deal and I guess that is why I was disappointed. Airbnb is hard somedays for both hosts and guests.

But the last thing I was going to do was to message the host and ask him to come over and clean the :poop: off of the toilets. It was already a long trip and there was no way I was going to endure that interaction hence the title of my post. If he responds to my review and says that I should have contacted him, I’m going to :exploding_head: :exploding_head:

4 Likes

The two front doors (side and front) had key locks but he said we didn’t need a key and that it was a “nice, normal neighborhood”. He probably has a key. But if he doesn’t…hey, keg party! Maybe I’ll alert the local highschool seniors and teach him a lesson. :joy:

Initially he just said that we didn’t need a key but after a long day and night of traveling, I went around and locked the windows and the doors. It’s just what I do before I go to bed, especially if I’m tired and I’m in a strange place. It was dark when we arrived so I didn’t have any feel at all for the area.

The next day when my hubby went to ask him about the pool temperature the host told him, “hey, you need to leave one of these doors unlocked, I had to enter through the side” :flushed: We kind of brushed it off because he said he was dealing with the pool, it’s inside and I think he was just opening and closing a window but he also turned off the hot tub after telling us to leave it on. Honestly, in hindsight, I think it was a control issue.

1 Like

I’d say in the review that you didn’t contact him about the many issues due to him barging in unmasked after the first call.

3 Likes

That’s perfect. I will include that.

I never locked my doors when I lived in Canada. Even though it was a well travelled street- a corner store on one end on a main thoroughfare, and a drug and alcohol recovery center at the other end, with mine and 5 other houses in between. Neighbors got broken into once, but I never did.

But that was 20 years ago, there’s lots of tweakers and homeless people around, and if I lived there now, I’d likely lock the doors.

To me, though, if one is doing strs, no matter how safe the host thinks the neighborhood is, to not give guests a key so they can lock up their stuff if they go out, is odd and is going to earn him critical reviews.

If I see my home share guests going out, I’ve mentioned that I’m not planning on leaving the house all day, so they don’t need to lock their door (private outside entrance) if they don’t want to carry their key around, but they can certainly lock it if they want to.

1 Like