Why Guests Leave Something in a Review that They Didn't Give You a Chance to Correct

You will occasionally see mentions about “duvets and tea kettles.” It’s a reference to years ago when this forum was new, everyone on it was fairly new and by extension, many were fairly new hosts. There were spirited discussions about what is “required” in an Airbnb and now it’s inside joke status when people get their knickers in a wad about something. One “required” item was kettles. Some people didn’t have them, some have stovetop and some have electric. Much of this seems to be geographic. In many parts of the world the kettle is ubiquitous. Not only do people use it for tea but instant coffee is surprisingly common. The tea aficionados, like coffee snobs, even know the proper temps to which water must be heated to make a proper cup of tea.

Most Airbnb’s I’ve been in don’t have a kettle. I have one but since I don’t have a kitchen I’ve had some odd things heated up in my kettle and at least one guest made something in my kettle that looked like chai and then spilled on the shelf, bed corner, floor, drape, everything near the shelf the kettle was on. I almost tossed it permanently after that.

3 Likes

I wish we’d all, both hosts and guests, stop referring to reviews as good or bad. If we dropped that term and only referred to reviews as honest, I think that would result in more honest reviews.

To me, the kind of review that a guest would leave that would make me think twice about accepting them would be one where they just had a litany of picky complaints, and that was a pattern seen in other reviews they had left for hosts. What my grandma would have called a kvetcher. Glass always half empty.

Legitimate things mentioned to warn future guests isn’t something that would make me nervous at all. There’s no point in reviews if everyone’s afraid to tell the truth.

Seems like there were 2 major issues with your stay- that the host didn’t even attempt to mask up, even shouting out as he entered, spewing his breath into your space, and that he entered without warning or prior arrangement. Those 2 things stopped you from talking to him about other correctable issues that perhaps you wouldn’t have felt the need to mention in a review had it been a host who behaved differently, who just quickly and respectfully made things right.

I totally agree with you that the onus wasn’t on you to ask him to mask up. He is ignoring the Covid protocol, not to mention basic respect. And there’s no telling how some stranger is going to react if you tell them to mask up.

If I stayed somewhere and there were issues that it was obvious the host wasn’t into dealing with, I wouldn’t bother giving them an opportunity to correct it. For instance, a shower with moldy grout or sealant. It didn’t get that way overnight, the host apparently thinks it’s no big deal, so it seems like it’s something for the review- waste of time to call the host about.

As a host, I would expect to be given a chance to rectify something like a crucial lightbulb that just blew out, the hot water doesn’t seem to be getting more than lukewarm, the toilet hose is suddenly leaking.

IMO, a guest shouldn’t be expected to waste their time reporting issues to the host that are a result of ongoing negligence, lack of regular maintenance, or poor cleaning. Those things are correctable, but there’s no reason for them to be like that in the first place. The review is where to mention them.

5 Likes

I do! How can it ever be okay to barge in on a guest unannounced? Unmasked? That’s so far off my radar I can’t even imagine.

We had to replace a malfunctioning smoke detector. All guests confined to their rooms, me masked and gloved. Replaced the entire unit, vacuumed space and departed w/ zero face-to-face.

Also had an obvious (flooding neighbors yard) water issue once. They’d left a toilet running after breaking the handle…found that out after departure. I asked permission to come over. Inspected backyard to confirm flooding. Asked if they wanted me to check water sources inside. They declined and said they checked & found nothing (lie). I never even mentioned it to them or in review. But I did not intrude inside even when I knew there was an issue.

2 Likes

FYI - As a tea drinker microwaving water doesn’t brew tea like boiled water. I will use a pot if I have to but his pots were damaged. Microwaving water for tea: Why are the results so lousy?

I offer an electric tea kettle and a huge assortment of herbal, black and green teas.

3 Likes

Yes. Thank you for putting that in words for me. I said that I “chickened out” but I think that is why, I was intimidated. It was so strange that he just showed up and that he completely ignored Covid that I wasn’t really sure who I was dealing with.

Keep in mind this forum is a small, non-random sample of hosts. Overall I’d say the hosts here are above average. After all, who seeks out information on the internet and takes the time to join a forum to ask questions unless they are a caring host (or a troll)? Despite that, many of those posting here offer questionable advice, some spout policies that are in violation of Airbnb policies, etc. And there are plenty who have specious advice about reviews. We’ve had people ernestly argue that an unfavorable review will “ruin” a hosts business.

All that leads me to believe that a great many hosts only want good reviews, not honest reviews.

2 Likes

I am writing up a post about the stay and for a second, when giving details, I thought, “wait, what if this guy is on the forum?”. And then I thought:

1. There’s no way or he wouldn’t be making the mistakes that he is making.
  2. If he is, then good, because he needs to hear these things.
5 Likes

Well, probably true. But, “we” (you know who you are!) work hard to EARN great reviews. I want honest and fair. I do the same for guests (I get accidents happen, for example, I don’t hold that against guests).

It makes the system meaningless otherwise.

And I know from what y’all have posted about how you shop stays that those reviews matter to guests.

And how is @JJD’s host so clueless he doesn’t care how his actions impact his review???

2 Likes

At a recent Air stay, the host used those damn dryer sheets. I sent her a private note about this in the review. Didn’t know if it should be public or not, maybe everyone expects these pukey smelling things, but it had never happened to me before.

Because this happened, the next place I’m going I will ask ahead about the use of these chemicals.

I have an electric tea kettle because I don’t have a kitchen in the rental. It gets used for drip coffee and teas and the particular one I have has been commented on my several guests.

2 Likes

I’ve definitely experienced verbal abuse after very politely asking someone to please pull up their mask. In fact, I have never not received some snotty or dismissive reply. A host might not do that, but they might “get even” in the review.

1 Like

To drive @JJD’s point or feelings home…South Africa just announced the omicron variant.

This isn’t over. We have to protect each other and as a host…I have to protect my guests to the degree I’m capable.

Was that movie 1973 or 1974? I can’t remember, I was young, but I loved those little dresses they wore that looked like blue cellophane and that weird mountain with the secret door.

There were the two KLM flight from S. Africa to Amsterdam yesterday with 600 people and apparently lots maskless on flights. Everyone got tested when the plane landed after being held onboard for an extra 4 hours.

61 people thus far tested positive. They don’t know yet if it’s the new variant that has medical people concerned. Positive testers are being quarantined in a hotel.

3 Likes

Futurama.

2 Likes

Alright! Y’all have me curious now. I’m about to experiment. Here’s the kettle I bought for the STR and then stole (last guest got no kettle - hope it doesn’t show up in the review :sweat_smile:).

Hot, evenly brewed tea, here I come! :yum:

2 Likes

Not to complicate it further but they do make kettles with temperature readings on them so that you can use the correct temperature of water for different kinds of teas (yes it’s different for different kinds). But, you know, baby steps… :grin:

I’m sure I’m in the minority here (as in the-only-one) but I wouldn’t have thought of boiling water in the microwave. But obviously I’m wicked dumb, lol.

That is true. It is interesting that some teas really benefit from different brew temps.
Coffee is the opposite. A scientist proved that coffee can be brewed (not espresso) at many temps and get the same results.

I have never had a microwave in my life, really have no idea how to use one unless someone is standing there giving me directions. So it would never occur to me to use one to heat up water for coffee or tea, and I’d be annoyed if there was no kettle.

1 Like

Oh, dear! I feel I’m in over my head.

Oh, man. Guess I better put this little guy back when I’m done! :sweat_smile:

Join AirHostsForum: you’ll learned more by 11am than most people learn all day! :joy:

6 Likes

Gosh! Ok that is so not cool! One does NOT “knock and just come in”. For all he knows, you arrived and “got comfortable”. He should have msg’d, texted or called BEFORE coming to your door.
Do as you like with his review. We would probably give 2-3 stars and be short and clear about exactly WHY. This way he can learn from it. He should have known better.

2 Likes