Why does my sister think she has a say in my running an Air?

2 Likes

Hi Chris,
Good on you! It’s hard to keep boundaries with family, especially where money is involved. I think that down the road you will find that you made the best decision.

“hey, I’m so grateful for your interior design input - let’s chat about how much you can contribute financially so we can put a plan together”.

Can I give you 10 likes for this reply? I love this answer!

1 Like

Maybe you could start the process with a Go Fund Me page?

2 Likes

Sarah,

So sorry family is causing you stress. I hardly interact with any family at all. The older I got after moving out of the home, the more I realized I don’t have anything in common with these people. My sibling and I haven’t seen each other in 18 years, and I have two nieces I have never met. But such is life…as I prefer to cut ties rather than torture myself.

You say your sister is married to a pastor. Does he earn any part of his salary from the church? If so, I would remind her that unmarried couples (church members) having premarital sex, are most likely contributing to his salary. Does the church refuse tithes from those people?

The next time she tries to guilt trip you, I would remind her that attempting to manipulate another person is not a “Christ - like” quality. Be prepared for her to throw a tantrum, and maybe never speak to you again. I really cannot stand people who try to manipulate others. - Trying to get inside their head to make them second guess themselves, etc. Those people will only drag you down…blood related or not. Don’t feel guilty about not attending family gatherings. Just say “I always feel worse after attending a family gathering, so I have decided to stay home with my own family.” And don’t apologize for it!

And you should ask your sister if she only eats at restaurants where the owners are married. Does she ask the server if the owner is divorced and having sex with his girlfriend out of wedlock?

1 Like

Just a quick note about kitchen cabinets – if you want white Shaker, I know the best cabinet line – solid wood self-closing drawers, easy to put together, and more affordable than Ikea. I always see the same boxes on the HGTV flipper shows.

2 Likes

Tell us tell us! Please?

2 Likes

http://forevermarkcabinetry.com/

If you look at my listing, I have them in the kitchen. I used them in my last flipper house, too. Takes a little finesse to put them together but the place I purchase them from in Denver will also put them together for $20/cabinet (I’m frugal so I do it myself).

1 Like

That’s exactly what I’m looking for!!!

1 Like

You’ve gotten really great advice from everyone, so I will just chime in and say that I’m sorry your sisters are bothering you!

3 Likes

I’ve been plowing through this thread, and all I can do it offer you a strong, long hug from one gal to another. Family…

3 Likes

Your sister is being whiny and unreasonable. You simply need to shut her and the rest of the family down cold. They are not paying your bills, so they get no say. The next time they make a “suggestion”, do what director Michael Bay does on his movie sets, “When we’re shooting your movie, we’ll do it your way.” So I’d say something like, “I bet that would look great in your house when you buy it/rent it etc.”. and then turn around and walk away. Do not engage after that. Walk away. May take some time but eventually they’ll get the hint. It won’t be easy but you simply have to hold the line to keep your sanity…

5 Likes

Try and make up with your sibling if you can.

I have a friend that I convinced to reach out for a sibling they’d had a falling out with.

She eventually agreed and during the search police discovered her sister had in fact been kidnapped and was being held hostage and all her wordly possessions being sold away.
True Story.

You can have a real positive life changing effect on someone you may appear not to share anything in common with.

Try and make contact - if not for your benefit, then for theirs :slight_smile:

Aquatic - at one point I did reach out, and we were speaking again. But I couldn’t get past the fact that my sibling had stolen from me and tried to justify it. I don’t tolerate friends stealing from me, and won’t tolerate it from family members. I regret even reaching out, and should have just let the situation die. You really can’t make amends with people who cannot be trusted.

That is a terrible thing about your friend’s sister being kidnapped. So glad the police found her…wow!!

Well that’s a heck of a story! I’m glad to hear that she was rescued.

But echoing Cabinhost, not all siblings are reachable nor should they be. The accident of being born in the same family does not necessarily mean that people will be close as they age.

4 Likes