Why do vacation rental owners still use paid services like VRBO or Lodgify when there are so many free sites like Airbnb, Flipkey and Homestay?

I don’t understand how paid services like VRBO or Lodgify can survive when people can advertise their properties at no cost on sites like Airbnb, [Flipkey]and other sites where vacation rental owners can advertise for free.

For me lodgify is getting me 1 website o getting extra clients plus synchronisation between platforms. I am able to get very close to 100 pourcent occupancy and higher prices by using many different places

1 Like

Advertising might be free but use is not. They charge you 3 percent commission and impose their policies on you.

1 Like

I want to add that more control with my own website deposit compare to airbnb plus avoiding cancelations even if you are strict

1 Like

For wider exposure and to catch the guests that use these platforms/wont use Airbnb
If they charge more than airs 3% I just add that to my rate.

3 Likes

I just started with Lodgify and am trying to evaluate them. Are you saying you got a website, but no extra clients?

1 Like

There is no such thing as “free”.
And Homeway lets you choose between a yearly flat fee, or a percentage per booking.

So smart hosts do a calculation, on which one suits them better, instead of going straight for the free version.

We get extra clients with it

1 Like

Flipkey is trip Advisor, which is most certainly not free. Also as their calendar does not sync with Air, I deactivated my listing, too much hassle and expense.

@Kerensa_Baker

I’m paying nothing to advertise on Tripadvisor:

Tripadvisor free to list option

It’s only a 3% fee per booking and I’m getting like 20% of my guests from there.

I’m happy to use VRBO. I choose the annual subscription, and it allows me to have better and more direct communication with guests. I also use Wimdu, Gaybookings, Flipkey, etc. I need to maximize my revenue and listing on free sites isn’t enough exposure.

1 Like

I will tell you why I continue to use it: in my demographic and regional area I find that guest from VRBO and HomeAway stay longer and are willing to pay more without bargaining. They tend to come for a whole vacation and not weekend getaways like my Airbnb Brooklyn creatives. Plus, they often become perennials.

3 Likes

I’m paying nothing to advertise on Air… and its 3% fee. I get all my bookings from Air. Not sure what the point is you are making. People can list wherever they want, but it is free to list on Air, just as it is everywhere you mentioned. All sites then charge a booking fee. I tried Trip Advisor and did get 3 bookings from there, but due to their calendars not synching with Air, it was just too much hassle for no increased bookings. I have no doubt if I had not blocked the TA dates I would have booked them through Air. But each to their own.

@CatskillsGrrl You bring up an interesting point, your type of clientele appears to be most suited when coming from VRBO. I have also noticed a difference at my end.

Because they get results. VRBO and TripAdvisor produce more leads that result in more reservations. Although I have had one Vacation Rental from Airbnb (and no problem with them) I rarely get inquiries but I keep the site up to date and continue to use it.

Think about how much money you have already given to TripAdvisor.
If AirBnB would offer a flat fee, I would immediately switch and save loads of money.

I think it’s still smart to use big forums because they get your listing in front of more travelers. I recently read that HomeAway gets over 8 million visitors a month, while Airbnb gets 6 million.

Yes, you have to pay for that exposure, but the subscription/booking fee might be worth well worth it if you don’t think you can spend a lot of time on your website’s SEO/ marketing strategy.

I have a background in marketing, and even for me, getting a site off the ground and visible in search results was more work than I bargained for.

VRBO ia very bad with their charge backs. With Airbnb there is no such thing. I personally don’t like VRBO at all.
My friend had so many problems with them including how they delisted her because she refused so mny inquiries

Yes, exposure is important.
But if you want to maximize profit, paid channels should be used wisely.
If possible they should only be used to fill the gaps.

I only use them during low season, my peak periods are completely filled with direct bookings or free channels.

1 Like

I can definitely understand that and that sounds like you’re getting the best of both worlds.

Out of curiosity, what do you do during the high season? Take down your listings?