Why did I agree to this booking?

LoL. That’s a good one. Will have to remember that :joy:

1 Like

I love having the white noise app on my phone for travel.

I don’t get the ‘mercenary’ reference, she was pleased with the longer booking, it would bring in more money…aren’t we all doing it for the money? Unless I’ve misinterpreted, that was quite rude of you, and if you are a host who does it for income, then you’re a bit two-faced as well.

Hi @cabinhost,

Amazon actually ships the Marpac to India for an additional USD 30. Most of that is import duty, which at $23.39 seems insanely high, but whatever.

So, my question is that, since any warranty would be useless in India - how durable is it?

No, we are not all “doing it for the money” as the primary motivator. Many of us do it for the pleasure of meeting and interacting with visitors, and the money is not the major reason; it’s nice but it’s not the main reason we are hosts.

1 Like

This is true. We are not all doing it for the money. There are probably a half dozen other reasons. Money may be the primary reason for many…but not all of us.

Well, if those who do it for love would refrain from knocking those who have to earn money to survive and keep their kids in shoes.
‘Mercenary’, blimey.

6 Likes

Faheem,

I don’t have my own personal white noise machine. At home I use an old school box fan to drown out noise. But when I stay at the rental I use the white noise machine. There are also certain spots in the rental where the cell service may not be greatest. We are out in the mountains. So the white noise machine is at least dependable as long as there is power. Now if the power goes out (which is not often) then someone needs to rely on cell phone signal to use a white noise app.

For me it has worked wonderfully. However, I don’t think the majority of my guests use it. So maybe it hasn’t gotten a whole lot of use? Some people on Amazon rave about it and others have had initial problems. I guess like with any product that is wonderful or defective. It’s really easy to work though. Just plug in and flip a switch on the machine. The next time I travel I will be purchasing one because I am a light sleeper.

1 Like

Hi @cabinhost,

Thanks for the comments. I thought that surely there must be local white noise machines manufactured in India, but amazingly, what I see on Amazon India is all imported. Then again, there is life outside Amazon.

I looked at the Amazon US reviews of that white noise machine. I’m not sure it’s special enough to be worth importing halfway around the world…

Oh, and I was using an old Honeywell air filter which I bought back from the US for the longest time. It’s been an excellent white noise machine. Amazingly, it’s still running, but I ran out of filters for it. And I think it’s questionable whether I should be running it with dirty filters. The air here is already bad enough.

1 Like

If I import something from Amazon US (only sometimes possible), the warranty usually only applies in the US. And Amazon India is not involved. If I buy an imported product from a supplier on, say, Amazon India, then they may offer a warranty, but normally not. So either way, usually no warranty. The way to get a warranty is to buy a product that is locally supported, of course.

I think India does make domestic air filters, but maybe white noise machines are a niche product. Which is possibly a bit surprising for a place as noisy as India. Then again, white noise is only of limited use in a very noisy place. It’s a bit like fighting fire with fire. Regardless of the phrase, it doesn’t work very well.

The filter/white noise machine is for me, not for my guests. My room is sort-of soundproofed, and usually with the A/C going it’s quiet enough. Unless there is a marching band outside or something. No, that’s not a joke. This is India - it happens.

I used to have a window A/C. Really not a fan of the noise it makes. At least that particular one. But different strokes, I guess.

1 Like

Faheem, business opportunity – buy them in bulk and sell them!

1 Like

I’m not sure what you are referring to…

After reading this thread and seeing all the references to white noise, I decided to inspect my “white noise” app on my phone. I’ve been using the sound of waves lapping on the side of a boat. It is great to use when you’ve got wi-fi so it doesn’t eat up your data.

The app offers an option with NIGHT FROG NOISES!!! Oh NO. The picture it displays is a tree frog (cousin to the coqui frog discussed on other threads).

1 Like

I am ONLY doing it for the money. Not gunna lie. I would not be allowing total strangers to clomp around my property, slam doors, complain about bugs and let the BBQ get too hot along with a host of other behaviors for free. Or for the social benefit. Gimme a break.

I am doing it for the cash, the cold, hard wonderful, mortgage-paying CASH!!!
:moneybag::moneybag::moneybag::moneybag::moneybag::moneybag::moneybag::moneybag::moneybag::moneybag::moneybag::moneybag::moneybag::moneybag::moneybag::moneybag::heart:️:moneybag:

8 Likes

@Barns
@konacoconutz
Me too. Show me the money!

I’ve enjoyed some of the personal relationships I’ve made. I really enjoyed getting to know them.

HOWEVER if I wasn’t earning mortgage paying, grocery buying, insurance purchasing money, I would be doing something else with my time & resources. Until I jumped in, I didn’t realize the work involved.

4 Likes

Hurraaaaah!

3 Likes

let’s hear it for the mercenaries!

3 Likes

Was made redundant and tried to get another job for 2 years. No one wants to hire a grown up!
Looked at my assets, I like to buy old houses… of 9 properties I now have 3 soon to be 4 Airbnb’s and I am here for the money! And if one more person says that must be easy money I will slap them upside the head! It is 24 hours a day and so many of the things guests do would drive a lessor person completely nuts!

7 Likes