Why are we always getting only guests without any reviews?

Based on what has been discussed here in the past, that seems unlikely. We should do a poll!

[Edit] Although… I suppose you could argue that hosts on this site are more likely to provide guests with extraordinary (or awful :crazy_face:) stays.

2 Likes

@filmil
I, too, had a summer of newbies. After 3 in a row choosing either not to review, take a star for value or leave a 4-stars overall I ramped up my vetting and amended arrival & departure info which may have helped, as I didn’t lose any more stars, but still fewer reviews.

Seemed to have been a summer thing, as my last several have all had, and left, great reviews.

Agreed! Haha, quite true :slight_smile:

Perhaps you are right. I am going by academic research on this topic.

That is awesome :slight_smile: Automated messages do help :slight_smile:

Ah @JohnF how very dare you :smile: On this occasion it was more than pure ‘noseyness’

@filmil because dearie new hosts often attract new guests and hosts providing cheaper rates than their competitors often attract guests new to Airbnb looking for a bargain :slight_smile:

1 Like

Excellent. Sources please.

JF

1 Like

Why would you rely on ‘academic research’ rather than your own experience as a host @Piyer

Can you link to this research?

2 Likes

I assume you mean generic research about people leaving reviews. If you google “what percentage of airbnb guests leave reviews” you’ll find most answers are in the 70-80% range. One site even claims Airbnb said it’s 70%, but it doesn’t say when that statistic was valid.

To your original statement, though: If you define extraordinary as being worthy of a 5-star review and awful as being worthy of a 1-star review, I think you’d still be correct. I would be very surprised if the sum total of all 5-star and 1-star reviews ever written by Airbnb guests do not represent the majority (i.e. more than 50%) of all reviews.

Very new to Airbnb mate. Will hunt the links and share it.

Read sometime back. Will hunt and share the links.

Those are the ones I worry about in case they have used Airbnb since they registered but other hosts didn’t review them for fear of having to give a bad rep.
So far, however, I’ve not had a problem.
And I agree, with you all, Covid has thrown up a lot of newbies.

Individual experience will vary. Via a quick search, the data is “70% of guests” and “80% of hosts”. Those links are Pre-Covid - so who knows what the stats are these days.
For us, about 80% of Guests leave reviews. We review every guest.

There is no one-size-fits-all when it comes to Airbnbs, because they are all mostly unique, which is why “academic studies” and general data are of little value.

Some places attract partiers, some don’t, some attract the type of guests who tend to leave reviews, some don’t. Etc.