Who sends their laundry out?

I’m trying to streamline my operation, and I’m looking at laundry pick up / delivery. It just seems so expensive! Who does this, and how much does it cost?

I think its a great idea, if you’re under time constraints for turnovers.
And I think you have to look at the costs in your area for this service!

I would do it if my time were more constrained. However, I think it is harder on the wear and tear for linens and you may not have the option of detergents and fabric softeners that are not irritating to those with sensitivities. A “fluff and fold” service at a laundromat might be cheaper than a formal place that also serves hotels, etc.

This. Christine has it spot on. I like to stay in control and with a service, I’d never be sure what detergents were used and if all spot and marks were removed. A service would be unlikely to take the care that I do and I agree about the wear and tear.

2 Likes

I do my own because I don’t want the hassel of having to schedule pick ups and drops off. Plus I remember when I used a diaper service, many many years ago. It was awful! I stopped it after a few deliveries. I rather have a bit more control and do it myself.

No and can’t imagine doing so for reasons discussed. But what I have considered doing is buying a second washing machine. These HE washers have long cycles and it’s so much easier to take clean linens I just washed and but them back on the bed rather than folding. I could wash everything in half the time with a second washing machine. Drying isn’t a problem because I have a dryer and a warm dry climate where I can dry outdoors.

2 Likes

I looked at this service too and was really tempted. But then I remembered my girlfriends experience with a second home – her linens often didn’t return. She didn’t think it was stealing just that they ended up going home in some other property’s bundle and she didn’t get back what she’d purchased. While I don’t spend a lot of money on linens, I do insist on all cotton and would not be happy if they got replaced with something other than what I sent.

2 Likes

I find it a better value to hire a reliable cleaner who comes in in between guests to clean and ready up the entire place including doing laundry, but wouldn’t see much value to outsourcing laundry alone. Cleaning on average costs barely 10% of earnings for me, and I’d happily either pay more if I had to or switch to longer-term renting rather than to clean myself. YMMV.

I used a diaper service when my youngest was a baby and they were great. Twice a week delivery of a stack of clean, sterilized diapers, took the pail of used ones away, and my babe never got diaper rash. It was also priced the same as buying disposables.

A laundry service for an Airbnb seems like it would only be worthwhile if you have a place that sleeps 12 or 16 and are a high-end rental, where the income level of your guests would mean you could up the nightly rate by $10 or so and they wouldn’t blink an eye.

The HE washer takes forever to wash a load. I’ve still got an old top loading washer. I’m considering hooking up both.

1 Like

I wish I’d kept my old washer and just hooked it up outside to the cold tap and run the grey water onto my plants on that side of the house. It would be usable most the year due to our warm temps.

2 Likes

Sometimes when all the household and guests linens are needing cleaning about the same time, about 5 sets, I have used fluff and fold, it ran about 30$ including tips. We do not have a dryer and I think this is one of the reasons our linens feel so fresh and have lasted very well. The most the guests can use at one time is 2 sets doubles and 1 set twin, so we are definately not usually overwhelmed. Our top loader machine is old and small. I thought we would be using a service more often when we started out but it is not normally necessary for us. If we allowed more than 4 guests, I would use fluff and fold more often. our F and F lets you choose which products to use i.e. no scent, no dryer sheets. I iron the pillowcases.

1 Like

Have you thought about buying a used one? I wash all my AirBnB linens in cold water for 2 reasons 1. Easier on environment and 2. Doesn’t set stains so if something doesn’t come out I get another shot at removing it.

2 Likes

Yes I have. I had some friends who remodeled and they were going to get rid of theirs, I should check and see if they’ve done that yet.

1 Like

When I built my house, I did that with all my grey water. The washer is inside, but 2" pipe goes through the wall and I drilled holes all along those pipes that lie in the garden areas closest to the source.

If your washer is against outside wall, you could still do that.

2 Likes

I’ve tried doing it for a while, I would send the bedding/towels to a wash and fold place but they were not treating stains so I would end up with clean yet stained items. While the cost was modest, it did not give me the peace of mind that I’d need.

I’m so glad I’ve got Grandma’s 1968 Maytag toploading washer and electric dryer. They have never called the repairman in 53 years, although I just installed the second dryer belt as normal once-every-30-years preventive maintenance.

I would not be able to keep up with the laundry without them. Everyone with newer ones complain about them.

4 Likes

Isn’t it interesting- they used to build things to last, it was considered to be a selling point and something the company was proud of. I had a second hand Maytag when I lived in Canada, that did me well for the 18 years I lived there, raising 3 kids. Now things seem to be designed tto work well until just after the 1 year warranty runs out.

And even quality brands from the Pacific NW like Woolrich and Pendleton are making all their stuff overseas, although Pendleton still makes the fabrics and their blankets in Oregon.

Even Seattle’s Filson — they’ve stopped making their famous wool whipcord Timber Cruiser jackets and pants, known in Alaska as the Alaskan Tuxedo.

When I set up my place as a BnB, plumbing and 220V went in for a new Electrolux w/d set. 40 minutes wash, 40-60 to dry. The pair are on the guest’s covered lanai for their use as well as mine at turnover time.

Additional sets of sheets/towels are on hand, but I’ll often launder what comes out of the place and put it back in when complete.

As others have mentioned, sending out laundry seems like overkill w/o oversight of what you receive.