Whew, I was kinda dreading this check-in

So, we had a guy request our apartment for today for a “romantic day with his GF”. His photo was totally creepo looking. He wanted the place for a day away, not even staying the night! But his verifications checked out and he had decent previous reviews.

Well whew, it was just a bad photo. Totally normal, hoping they have a nice stay, and I’m so thankful it’s a separate structure and I have errands to run today, lol.

3 Likes

So he is just renting your place to get busy with his girlfriend? haha…considering the conversation we all had the other day

2 Likes

Well she’s somebody’s girlfriend! Boottyy call…

4 Likes

My suspicion is that there may be an affair in at least one of the parties… And at my price-point, it’s either here or a Motel 6.

But yeah, I’m hiding in my house and running errands today!

1 Like

I’ve had that happen SO MANY TIMES. One woman had the ODDEST photo…and wasn’t great at communicating. She was lovely and we hit it off from the first second, like old friends!

1 Like

Aw, c’mon, you never know!! I could totally see my husband and I booking a place for a day, so we don’t have to arrange for someone to hang out with our kids over night!!!

4 Likes

I’m hoping for the best, lol.

1 Like

Thank you for making this point. I don’t photograph well. I have a wandering eye which gives me that ax murderer look, but I assure you I am a very nice person.

4 Likes

I feel your pain! Our whole family photographs terribly - my mother always looks like she’s choking on something - and I have almost no photos of myself after the age of 3. Fortunately, I know Photoshop so when I need a picture for work stuff, I take about 10 original images and copy / paste all the good bits around until I get something that resembles what I see in the mirror. Ok, maybe I cheat and do a little glamming too…

4 Likes

Better he tells you this than books for one and then sneaks in an extra.

1 Like

I don’t rely on photos anymore. For example my guest that checked out this morning, his photo made him look like he was on the cast of the Jersey Shore (so I was scared he’d be out partying all night coming home drunk) but his 12 reviews were glowing so accepted. He turned out to be amazing! Like one of the top 5 best guests in the last 2 years.

3 Likes

Yeah, I hardly bother coming to any conclusions. Honestly, I book almost everyone. I had concerns once about a local booking, first booked for one but mentioned kids in review, etc. It was awesome. As I’ve said before, the first time I got a guest inquiry that actually HAD reviews I was so excited I gave him a discount. They turned out to be a rude group of students. Showed up very late (as arranged) but then proceeded to laugh and talk very loudly (my guests share the home). Next morning at breakfast my family thought our ears would bust, they were talking and laughing so loud.

Another group I was dreading was a family of 5 from China - a young woman studying here, her parents, and grandparents. 5 Chinese people!! They were so quiet and respectful! And they were a very close family, and it was lovely watching the daughter serve her grandparents at breakfast.

3 Likes

It’s interesting to read what some of you are saying about guest photos. I got the impression from reading the old airbnb host groups that the majority of hosts thought it was really important to have a clear profile photo. It also seemed like it was pressure from hosts that made air set the requirement for guests to have a clear photo of their face. Personally, I don’t set much store by the photo. Most of the time the guest looks nothing like it, anyway! I’m wondering what will happen if the anti-discrimination review they’re doing will result in photos being abandoned? A lot of hosts would go nuts at that.

PS. Glad to hear your guest turned out ok, Sarah! I too have had guests with the oddest profile photo who ended up being great. And the other way round, too, with that lovely smiley couple from the photo being, umm. not so much in real life!!

2 Likes

And they’ve left already, so weird. Headed up now to see how it looks up there…

1 Like

Hate to say it but check carefully under the bed. And behind the headboard. I’m sure you always do anyway but in these cases it’s best to be extra thorough! I am sending you a virtual pair of disposable gloves.

8 Likes

Send pics of the handcuffs :grinning:

6 Likes

Update please! :grinning:

1 Like

My husband and I had plans this evening, so I won’t be going up to clean until the morning, but we checked before we left and the bed was definitely used, showers taken, but otherwise left in perfect condition and they didn’t eat any of the snacks I keep up there.

1 Like

Like these: :wink:

1 Like

Well, I got a glowing review from them, so again, whew! Quick question: how many reviews do I need before stars are visible? I now have 3 reviews.

1 Like