Where Are the Good Old Guest Problems?

Well, I know which apartment you are not renting from me then :wink:

2 Likes

Thats so odd. My electric kettle is plastic so it should be obvious to not put it on the stove top. This is a very normal item in a lot of countries but my North American guests aren’t familiar with it.

I dropped a couple tons of rock for a 1-1.2 meter extension next to the asphalt driveway to give a little extra space. The city code wouldn’t allow me to pave any wider and it also forbids parking on rocks/gravel but I can say these are for landscaping. What I noticed is the rocks don’t do too well under heavy vehicles especially if they crank the steering wheel a lot.

I never suggested gravel. I hate gravel, it ends up everywhere.

Please, please make the collage! Share it with us, and then you can frame it to use as wall art for that kitchen!

Just for nostalgia’s sake.

1. What color linens should I get? White, or colors?
  2. Hey anyone have any tips, I’m just starting out and so nervous for my first booking!
  3. These guests never tell me what time they’re coming I can’t wait up, anyone have a good smart lock they can recommend?

GOD I MISS THOSE THREADS.

6 Likes

OK, how about this one. Had a guy book my one-bedroom apartment two days in advance. In his introductory note, he mentions that it’s a booking for his wife, who will be visiting their daughter and son-in-law and their family. Since the son-in-law is working from home, the wife, daughter and an unspecified number of kids will be hanging out at my place all day, every day. Not a chance, dude.

3 Likes

You want a story about guest problems? Well, here you go.

I have a luxury apartment and am a SH. I have had “maybe” two guests in two years that were not perfect. Overall, my experience has been really very good.

I received a request for booking that I felt strange about last weekend, but the person booking assured me it was solely her and her fiance, they would follow all the house rules, (QUIET after 9 pm, no smoking, no shoes in house) and said they’d been social distancing.

Turns out a fake name was used. It was gang bangers, well known dangerous criminals, and there was a stabbing. 100 people + in the apartment. Police came twice, an ambulance. Building owner was away so was away and we were sleeping.

I woke at 5 am to numerous messages of hysteria. My husband and I immediately got in the car for the hour drive to the police station in the city this occurred. Husband is an attorney, his friend is a lieutenant who met us there. He sent 7 officers with us to the property. “Scary” is not sufficient, nor is traumatizing.

After a team wearing bullet proof vests entered, it took a good 40 minutes for them to remove the couple (the party had been dispersed two hours prior after several attempts) which was shocking to watch. Not only had there been zero social distancing, they had trashed the home completely. Drugs everywhere. Bloody knife on counter. I will spare rest of details.

I contacted airbnb of course immediately, as I felt totally betrayed as far as there vetting process is concerned. I was told all immediate costs had to come from myself, such as the bio hazard team (3k) that needed to get in to work immediately.

I’m still filing claims and listing damages. It’s perhaps been more psychologically disruptive than anything. Things can be replaced, but having your sanctuary destroyed is…horrid feeling.

While airbnb has tried to be reassuring, thus far we’ve been transferred to more people than I can count. We will have to wait and see if they get it together, as of now it’s just pure chaos. I don’t think it should be so complicated, and I’m here to tell you the “million dollar guest protection” is not an easy thing to execute.

Lesson I suppose would be, esp in these very trying times, be extremely cautious about guests coming into your home. For me, I never EVER expected such an experience, but it CAN and DOES happen.
Wendy
p.s. on the nightly news last night BNB issued a statement saying they would ban all people permanently who partied in this city. For me, too little to late!

Good luck everyone and stay healthy and safe!

Wow, what a story. It’s amazing how brazen these folks will be considering there has to be video of all these people coming and going. Even with my one room I never turn off my phone at night so I can get my Ring doorbell (and other app) notifications.

Please do keep us up to date on what Airbnb finally does.

Of course many of us aren’t hosting at all right now and I for one am not regretting it.

1 Like

No camera, not even a doorbell camera? Surely not.

JF

I’m VERY sorry that you encountered such an ordeal. Glad that you have some powerful expertise to help you maneuver through all of this.

Thanks for sharing and bringing the dialogue “back to basics”

After all the cancellations in March, things started to turn in mid April and this weekend, after multiple inquires, my May calendar is almost full, albeit with some buffer days between guests.

2 Likes

I have a doorbell camera. Because I’ve never had even a problem “CLOSE” to this, I went to sleep at 11. That is when the party started. I was on it by 5 am, police by midnight, but it’s complicated and I was really just posting this story as a warning. Please, everyone, screen your guests and be on guard at all times. You think “your” place is always safe and people are good (I still believe majority are), but this has been a huge wake up and living nightmare.

I will post later on what airbnb has done thus far to compensate.
Thank you, wishing all of you health and sanity! :slight_smile:

That is really good news! Now, just be cautious of who books, esp if you are in an urban area! BTW, I’m from AZ, assuming you are given name. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yep, don’t regret it. RIght time for that stance, for sure.
W

1 Like