Where are the Americans?

A useful article in the Telegraph outlining the impact of the Trump effect - one year on.

Interestingly Canada is benefiting for the slump in visitors to the U.S.

Also interesting to see the slump is not just due to his ban on those from seven Muslim countries but simply to the fact he was elected.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/lists/how-trump-impacted-world-tourism/

1 Like

This is not about any ban, it is about ESTA and the ridiculous amount of private information they want.
I now you like to blame your current president for everything, but this one was on Obama.

Obama was still president when (nov 2106) suddenly they wanted your social media account information.
This is the main reason travel numbers dropped beginning 2017, not Trumps election.

Contrary to what MSM wants you to believe, most Europeans do not care who is president in the US., but they do like their privacy.

1 Like

I am European @Chris dear and he is certainly not my president.

My friends and I in Europe certainly care about who is president in the US, because we care about the world we live in.

Do not speak on my behalf. Do not speak on my friends behalf and do not speak on my families behalf. You may not care but every European I know does.

1 Like

The Trump Slump does appear to be real and multiple sources are confirming it. However, keep in mind we only have 3 quarters of data in so thereā€™s not a true year over year comparison that can be made.

1 Like

I did not speak on your behalf, I said ā€œmost Europeansā€, there are always exceptions.
Most people do not have the privilege to worry about who is president, in a country half way around the globe.

When we have time to worry, have our own bunch of nutcases in Brussels to worry about.

2 Likes

Just because you have a particular point of view, doesnā€™t make it a majority one.

Most people understand the power and influence that the president of the U.S. has on world affairs.

shithole

2 Likes

My European inquiries/bookings stopped cold on November 7th, so that is a full year of data, at least on the East Coast. The only people who have booked who live in Europe have been coming for conferences. Even those stopped last March.

p.s. And I realize that this anecdotal, not scientific.

@KKC. You deleted your response?

Source? You are speculating Chris.

1 Like

My dear friend in Western Canada had this experience at the border crossing with Washington state. She has never encountered this sort of rude treatment before and has been crossing for decades without trouble. Clearly, border patrol are feeling empowered to treat our Canadian friends like criminals. Said everyone in line to cross was getting the same treatment. Sad and infuriating!

"Yesterday decided to go to Costco but first cross border into WA. A stoneā€™s throw from the border is an awesome Mexican place. Food divine.
Bitch of a border crossing woman rakes me over the coals.

Where are you going?
For how long?
Who is this with you?
Passports?
Your hand just shook, are you on any medications?
Have you (had this condition) long?
What do you do for a living?
(I said I was pretty much retiredā€¦)
She asked if I was fired.
Leave on bad terms?
Where do you live and with whom?
Why didnā€™t your other daughter come?
Where is your husband?
Where does he work?
Is this your car?
Can I have your keys and can you pop your trunk. (Rummages around in my bootā€¦)
Have you ever been arrested? Criminal record?
Are you picking anything up? Dropping anything off?

Yes because I saw your amendment that your experience is anecdotal.

Here are some MSM accounts of the Trump Slump. Of course these are just sources like Forbes (the print copies of that publication are titillating) and the Economist (I bet no one gets spanked with those.)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alexandratalty/2017/10/12/us-economy-losing-billions-as-trump-slump-continues-in-tourism-sector/#2026d98d1869

1 Like

FFS. USA finally turned into the Soviet Union.

Russians are always one step ahead, it seems.

1 Like

They are giving this clown to much credit.

Look at this graph, and understand why a lot of tourist from the UK decided not to go to the US in 2017:

https://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=GBP&to=USD&view=10Y

The US got 30% more expensive to from begin 2016 to begin 2017.

Now the exchange rate is improving, the tourists will go to the US again. But we have to wait until 2019 for the proof.

1 Like

And I take exception to your statement ā€œmost Europeansā€. I am a European, most of my friends are European, most of my guests are European, as are my family. Without exception, all are aghast with Trumpā€™s Presidency. Iā€™ve had American guests who are aghast and embarrassed, to the extent they will say they are Canadian.

2 Likes

We used to do that when Bush was president. When I traveled in England back then I wore a circle slash Bush pin, and actively tried to avoide looking American!

1 Like

When Maggie Thatcher was at her most rapacious, I was Irish. Not a total lie; just half a oneā€¦

4 Likes

Hereā€™s a new article about tourism to the USA

America Has a Foreign Tourism Problem
Bloomberg

Hereā€™s How to Comply With the Travel Ban As more international travelers https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-01-17/how-to-reverse-america-s-foreign-tourist-problem