When is it appropriate to call Airbnb?

I had that happen in Oslo - an amazing apartment and an amazing price “oh, we should have taken down the listing, we are selling the apartment” but the listing is still up.

I think this is another reason they are pushing instant book - to weed out hosts who waste guest’s time. I can’t tell you how disappointed I was in that Oslo booking. I’ve been mapping out this trip over hours and hours of research and analyzing. My other three choices in the country happened to be IB and the experience was a dream!

@dcmooney . Wow! you are really going to do this trip! Can’t wait to hear about your planning and then the reality.

Yes! Thanks for sharing in our excitement! Every other trip has involved visiting family, my husbands business trip (London, Paris, poor me!) or an adoption. We are deeply grateful for the opportunity and excited to bask in Norway’s beauty and learn some of it’s culture! It’s especially cool that all three kids are equally excited.

Know the feeling. Seriously everyone who told me it wasn’t available left it up. Everyone who said oh I need to change the price didn’t. And then there were those that just didn’t reply at all in the 24 hour window … and yes they still have a 100% response rate.

Yeah, man, it makes me crazy as a guest! Like @jaquo was saying on another thread, it would be nice if there was someway airbnb separated the ‘men from the boys’ among hosts with some type of designation so guests would know which listings have hosts that are serious and professional. I understand that not every host wants to use IB and that is their prerogative, but as a guest, IB signals to me that that host actually wants to sell me a room. Also superhost gives me a clue. It’s unfortunate since many hosts aren’t comfortable with IB and have reasons that they can’t make ‘superhost’ but are still professionals.

I am so used to it though. When i started first travelling with Air it was very difficult tobook anything especially when i was on a road already. Hosts did not answer for days. When they answered they would give me a bunch of reasons why they can not accept my inquiry. Especially i had problems in North Europe countries. I remebr in Denmark it was just impossible to book anything. “I am waiting for a response from other couple”, “I am not sure if it will suit you, i have to get back to you”. It was like all of them found me particularly unsuitable:)

Now, i made an inquiry in Mexico for a very cute place at the beach. It was considerably lower price than hotels, and right on a beach. He declined me saying that someone just reserved from him which was a total lie. What happened in fact that he had price set up per person, and with me alone it would be really low for him. So, he was waiting for larger party. But why are you setting it up for one person though so later you can deny this person?? This does not even make sense.
I was in a fighting mood that day, and told him that. And he started to reassure me that someone rented from him just minutes before i inquired. Then a day later i checked the lisitng it was still open.

Aurgh! I would have been so tempted to flag him!! You’re right, he should not waste your time!

I wanted to, really. But then forget.

1 Like

I get lots of two day inquiries, and sometimes I know I will be gone and I don’t want them. I just tell the people up front that’s what it is. Sorry, but I am waiting for a longer booking for that time period. Or someone who wants to book two days a year in advance. I refuse to tie myself up that far in advance for two days. Especially with the Draconian cancellation policies for hosts. I just tell them so. Some of them keep bugging you. But really for such a tiny amount of money I simply decline, tell them why and don’t answer any more questions.

1 Like

At least you are telling the truth. I would be totally fine with that answer. But why to put an option for one person and then not accept this one person.
I also declined some inquiries for New year since I am hoping to get corporate people again for longer stays

1 Like

Lady J, you always say what I was thinking. :wink: I have called once - to get 60-day Strict and they have called me many times for varied reasons. The less I bother them, the lower the costs and thus fees for hosts is my thinking.

1 Like