When hosts respond publicly to private feedback

He’s pretty impressive isn’t he!! That’s just in the first 2 pages of reviews, I haven’t gone any further but I sent it my daughter for a laugh and she said she spent the whole evening going through his comments as they were so mind boggling.

Do you think I should send him a link to this forum or is he past help?

I think he enjoys it, the comments are quite creative. He would make an excellent Greek Basil Fawlty character.

5 Likes

You are spot on there! I hadn’t thought of that.

The strangest thing about it is that he is still in business … with public replies like that, who would even want to book there and why isn’t Airbnb telling him to take his business somewhere else?

1 Like

I wondered that too. In fact, I’m surprised that no one has reported the listing to Airbnb - it gives all Airbnb hosts a bad name.

He’s a superhost with over 700 reviews. So there are a few people who didn’t get what was advertised but most people are winning the “get a great apt for under $100 a night lottery.”

2 Likes

Found one:

The review the guest left was just a few lines. All it said was that the bed in the larger room was an air mattress. That’s it. Here is the host’s response:

“ Response from XXXX

Hi XXXX ur comments is very invalid to me. First of all I didn’t pro approved u I told u & Airbnb I don’t do instance booking &; that what u did so who goes into ppls place a go into details like u did that’s rude I’m going to make it short for u as u see I wasn’t even around because I travels, & if I goes anywhere & I don’t like it or approve of it I leaves that all the things that u might be looking for u need to get to a five STARS & above hotel I went to the RITZ & ; their was a blow up bed hello so, my rental home is how it is &; it comfortable. It no a garage that turned into a rental space. And for ur information lots of homes/places on the TV shows has been stage by me. GOD bless.”

The Ritz has blow up beds? Wut?
The place looks very messy even though there is a $150 cleaning fee for a tiny house. She has 3.5 stars and two last minute cancellations, yet she’s still in business?

3 Likes

I sometimes wish (snootily) that basic literacy should be a requirement for hosts.

Sigh.

7 Likes

A complete mystery why anyone would book with them, ever, for any reason. When I see a listing like that I don’t understand why Airbnb allows it to remain on the platform. I also wonder what it takes to get suspended.

2 Likes

Perhaps it’s a bit like being a public school master, you have to bugger the bursar to get the sack.

2 Likes

I don’t want to be seen to be sticking up for him but English isn’t his first language.

1 Like

The host knows enough English to substitute ‘u’ for ‘you’ and ‘ur’ for ‘your’. Then there’s ‘ppls’ for ‘people’s’ etc. That suggests a command of the language if he knows how to abbreviate like that.

1 Like

That’s text speak - almost a language of its own

5 Likes

Yes and I hate it!! I guess I’m too old.

1 Like

Agreed. However I don’t know why he didn’t use a grammar checker etc.

A few years ago I was studying another language at university (me and all the 20 year olds) and we had an entire class on “text speak”. Yep text speak was taught at university and every class was costing me $80! I was totally hopeless at it but the 20 years olds (unsurprisingly) were good.

2 Likes

I’m bumping this thread for @katnhat

Here’s another, from a host with about 50 reviews. I know this happens because hosts do not understand what feedback is public and private. For newbie hosts reading this thread, please message your guests comments like this, rather than posting them publicly!

I made that rookie mistake once myself, and concluded it inadvertently made me look very conscientious. I don’t think less of a host who appears to be addressing a problem, even if it went unremarked in the public review.
Now, a private comment with negative statements about the guest that gets posted publicly – that’s certainly something to be avoided, especially if the guest’s review is expected to be positive.

My guess is that the price and location is what people want and they don’t need to live with the guy so don’t really care how grumpy he is.

It’s also possible, separately, that he doesn’t realize that his responses are being made public…