When guests steal/break smallish items

i am feeling very lucky. I have lost a used tube of toothpaste and had one glass chipped. Also lost one hand towel to tanning crap. Yes, I live on-site, but things could have been taken in those large suitcases.

This is one reason not to discount. You need to have a high enough nightly rate to cover the possibility of damage. That said, if I notice something is broken and it’s clear who did it, I request payment through the resolution center. Recently a guest kicked a hole in my screen. I’m pretty sure my last guests did it, but I can’t be sure because my back up housekeeper isn’t as eagled eyed as my regular one who is unavailable for a couple of weeks. I’ll just have to bite the bullet on it.

You probably have an inventory list for everything, but have you thought of photos of each cabinet (with the doors open!) showing the contents? Because we put the clean glasses etc. back in the same place every time, it is easy for anyone cleaning / checking the cottage to see what is missing.

We don’t charge for accidents either but do have “Please advise us immediately of any breakages so that we can replace the item ready for the next guests” in the house rules / handbook.

Hi Georgygirlo
I just in the process of setting all up and I wonder if you could share your house rules with me or others? I am quite puzzled how many guests really seem to need house rules and I like to have them ready before I put my listing online.
Thanks