What's your #1 Concern about being an Airbnb Host?

Yes! Bedbugs, too! It is an epidemic in NYC and that’s where most of my guests come from.

I have bed bug boxspring covers, mattress covers and Just purchased bed bug kit just in case.

pretentious unpretention - fantastic.

2 Likes

If a guest brings bedbugs, it’s not just the bed that will be infested :frowning:

1 Like

I had the same…candles for blackouts. ??? NUTS… As there are so many many great wind up lanterns and such available for that purpose. Buy a big lantern flashlight with extra D batteries! Anything but candles!

I got rid of all candles and have a very strict rule about no candles inside or out, when one guest left them unattended … And burned a hole in my table cloth. I had been providing the guests with votives and matches… Dummy me.

1 Like

I remember when this happened to you. I think $532 is a steal for them and should have cost a lot more. Dumb guest drinking and vomiting. Gross.

I’m like you with a low profit margin. I’m thinking of comet for my busy season. I like their flexibility. Makes no sense to purchase insurance for my zero booking season (now).

The Big Island is very very seasonal. I have often wondered why, because in summer ocean conditions are placid and snorkeling is outstanding… It can get rainy sure, but usually it’s convection related and happens in the afternoon to early evening. Right now it’s 8:47am and sunny and cool at my house. I’m getting onshore ocean breezes and am looking out at a perfectly calm ocean ideal for a nice snorkel. Yet zero guests. Not unusual. Always like this in summer… During the six years I’ve hosted on Air. Dead in summer.

1 Like

Three years ago I went and I stayed in Hilo. Teachers go in the summer. LOL. I drove over to Kona for the day and did the swimming with dolphins thing. If I ever go back I’ll look you up.

1 Like

Yes… That is our side… Dolphins, snorkeling, etc… although some regulations are being set forth this summer about swimming with the Dolphins as it disturbs their resting period. Constant tourists who swim over and chase them…boats that herd them…It’s never been enforced before but now it looks like NOAA and DLNR want to do it.

I can understand the concern. I had some misgivings about doing it. I talked to my Hawaiian friend about it and my host and (probably selfishly) decided to go for it. I remember when I saw “Finding Nemo” I thought “oh I’ll never go diving again.” LOL. I’m glad they are going to regulate it.

2 Likes

There is actually a $10,000 fine for getting too close… you are supposed to stay 100 yards away from them… Lately they have been resting in other, less accessible bays away from human disturbance. Great pics though!

eeee…my bad… all the tour operators are bad. I gave my camera to one of the employees though. Yeah eco-tourism is somewhat of a misnomer since we humans pretty much ruin everything.

2 Likes

Gotta say, it IS tempting to want to swim over to them but even I hold myself back! If I see them while paddling my boat, I keep my distance. A much better way to watch. So calm and the sound of their breath as they surface is so cool.

When they start spinning, that is exhibiting herding behavior, indicating the dolphins are getting stressed. Which is so disheartening because it tends to make the tourists chasing them “squeal,” no doubt stressing the animals even more.

So far the tour operators are within their license permissions to do what they are doing. And no one is enforcing it.

2 Likes

My new and hopefully one time concern is conjunctivitis. My son found some fake eyelashes by the bed yesterday when we were around cleaning the place and glued them to his eyelids with the paste from his pencil case. This probably isn’t the kind of worry you mean though

2 Likes

All I can say to you is that for a person like me, living in a place that seems like an absolute frozen tundra from what seems like September until July, I do not want to miss one moment of local summer! So, no, I’m not flying anywhere for these few short months :slight_smile: I’m even skipping out on my direct sales biz conference that takes place in August—in Vegas. Like why would I ever want to leave the Adirondacks the first week of August to go to freaking Vegas??? No way. Staying put. Day trips and playing tourist in my own wilderness is the only thing on my agenda every summer!!! Come January/February/March…oh, then I need to get some serious sunshine :slight_smile:

1 Like

If that is your biggest worry then you are on a good path :sunny:

TOTALLY get it!!! I would feel the same! I would leave HERE to go there! :smile: Agree, you have a totally beautiful place to enjoy for so few weeks… I couldn’t agree more with staying put… That is why I figure the Big Island goes dead in summer. Too many nice places to be on the US Mainland right now.

1 Like

Does the Big Island put any marketing money into getting tourists there in the summer?

Good question… No. All the HTA marketing is focused statewide and most business interests, frankly, are on Oahu. The neighbor islands are stepchildren of the main tourist and population center,and the seat of government.

1 Like

@kinglolo
My biggest concern? Not having enough bookings to cover my mortgage…

1 Like

#1 is not having the correct insurance coverage in case something happens. After that…I agree with everyone else and their opinions…it always sits in the back of my mind.

Edited to add: Oh my…what did I do to have my font bold and huge??

Is this a sign from the universe??

7 Likes