What's the policy as far as guest's visiting?

Thank you. We figured it out with Airbnb - was only semi-drag :wink:

Airbnb updated the reservation 6 guests.
No extra charge was applied.
Asked me to open a resolution ticket and ask for the money from the guest.

I’m sure this happens all the time. Strange they don’t have a better system to handle such situations.

I don’t feel this way. It’s the truth. I’m not power tripping with my guests. She was super fast to response, polite and even suggest calling AB herself to sort it out. All replies from her came minutes after mine and payment took place within minutes as well.

Airbnb’s help center doesn’t have info on this specific case (certain amount of guests on every night). Even the rep need to figure this out while I was on hold.

CCTV is already in place for 2 years :slight_smile: That’s how I’ve learned about it.

With over 250 reservations, I don’t consider myself as a new host however THIS specific case never happened to me before. Airbnb doesn’t allow hosts to alternate the number of guests after the reservation started. Again, even they are not prepared for that and it seems like the solution they gave me is simply a patched one.

But I don’t understand why you are posting questions about basic things like policy here. As mentioned, you should be doing your due diligence here and researching this kind of question on your own. You weren’t asking a question about what other hosts do (I.e., you were not interested in their opinions about allowing additional guests) You wanted to know the policy, if there is one, which I’m sure there isn’t.

The hosts forum is meant to help other hosts with situations, not policy. For one thing, a host might think they know the policy and say the wrong thing. It’s best to go to the help center for matters of policy, just to be sure. It seems like laziness to just post a basic question like that here. That’s why we added it to the forum guidelines.

I’m sorry I thought you were new, but honestly, it seems like you don’t have many of the basics down.

This is what I have done in the past. Based on the OP’s assertions, I thought that this might have changed in the past 2 weeks, the last time I utilized.

Nope, it is the same practically since the company started. You can always change the number of guests and they will automatically add the fee you have specified. My guests better not do it, as my rate is 299! (The highest you can set, since I don’t want extra guests! ) :laughing:

1 Like

In shared accommodations in popular urban areas I can see how it could be unusual - problematic - for a guest to have guests, but my house in the Catskills appeals to a lot of travelers coming back to the area for family. I do allow folks to bring guests onto the property with prior approval. (‘My brother and his wife will be by for dinner during out stay.’ ‘My sister will be popping in and out.’) I am just pretty insistent that any planned guests must be discussed with me.

However, for my guest there now - for NYE - I was about to insist that no guests could come by, but I did agree to another couple - his girlfriend’s sister and BF. Fingers crossed.

Do they stay over or do they leave?
I just found that when two becomes three, things get way louder and parties are easier! Do you charge them more for additional guests?
It must be snowing like mad and freezing ass cold isn’t he Catskills?!!! What is the temp at your house? In the city?

The extra couple is only staying one night - tonight. My guests - from VRBO - have already been there for two nights and they depart Tuesday. They have been lovely and quiet. They even shoveled the snow off my deck for me. I am not charging more because the place accommodates 4. I think it will be fine.

2 Likes

No it doesn’t! You “think” so because you did not actually PRESS the submit button.

Here’s my screen shot:

See the RED alert? Seems like I know how this part of Airbnb works unlike others…

Actually @Oded is right… whether they changed it recently or maybe it’s only with the app, but I also came across this 2 nights ago. I tried to change the guest count and an error popped up saying ‘you can’t alter the number of guests once a reservation has started’ (or similar wording).

Instead I added the extra guest fee onto the total amount, then sent a message to the guest explaining.

Actually here’s a screenshot, I just tried again:

1 Like

That’s because you already have the max set. You could change that and then submit this. ? I don’t know since I never add extra guests.

The best way to do this is with an actual res center request, as you can control the amount of money requested.

1 Like

I was posting here because I couldn’t find anything specific to my situation on the Airbnb’s site. I felt it’s a very specific situation I’m dealing with and could use feedback from other hosts.

Seems like I interpreted it wrong. Sorry for doing so.

Not for me, I had 3 and wanted to change to 4. My max is 4.

1 Like

This was your original question.

You CAN NOT change that - don’t believe me? Maybe @KKC can try and change his. Even the rep at Airbnb said I can’t do it. And FYI, once you do it with an Airbnb rep you STILL need to charge separately since they won’t do any charge, just a change to the amount of guests.

I just said I don’t know. It’s probably because they paid you already.

That’s why I said the best way to do anything like this is through the res center. They won’t charge a commission on that as well.

1 Like

Ok, fine, if you say so. I’ve changed the number of guests in the past but I suppose I can’t now. I am not going to try to change my guests reservation, thanks.

Sure but now that’s not the point anymore. Point is YOU made me look like “here is another example of you not seeming to know how Airbnb works.” And that I can’t fix even though YOU were wrong.

Anyways, moving forward…

K9 is a her. …

1 Like

It IS the point… because you posted a very basic Airbnb101 question that every superhost should know the answer to, especially if you have had more than 250 reviews. Had nothing to do with changing the number of guests. That wasn’t the question, it was a side point.

So quite frankly I am baffled why you asked it in the first place. And that’s why I guess I didn’t understand at all at first what you were trying to ask.

It’s very very basic to be in control of your guests. If they are staying past midnight, you need to send an extra charge through or tell them to leave. Airbnb doesn’t have a policy about how many people are allowed past the reservation number or when they can leave. It’s up to you. Let them stay for free, charge them something extra or tell them to leave. Super basic stuff.

I’ll delete my post. It was also my mistake to waste my time with you.

2 Likes