What's the point of the security deposit?

Possible rant ahead… So a guest burned my leather ottoman last week. It’s a small burn hole,however it’s right on the top, and you can’t miss it. I reported it as soon as my cleaner went in, before the next guest as required by Air BNB. The guest refused to pay for the damage (didn’t deny she did it) and Air BNB got involved. They said a repair would be paid for, not replacement as repair is cheaper (and noticeable!!). I contacted the Brick where I have insurance, and they said it wasn’t worth repairing and they would replace the item. Unfortunately the piece is discontinued, so I had to pay the difference for the replacement piece, plus delivery, plus another warranty. Guess what, Air BNB says since I have insurance, I’m not eligible for anything, not even what the repair would have been. Leads me to wonder, what the H&LL is the security deposit for? The guest burnt my furniture in a non smoking house, and she got her security deposit back!!! Or so I assume, maybe Air BNB kept it. So they hold these security deposits, I’m sure they are making interest and I can’t claim a thing. I’m a super host with well over 100 guests. So much for this fantastic insurance Air BNB provides us. Rant over!

You’re preaching to the choir.

That totally sucks! Sorry to hear that Air isn’t paying. So, basically they consider other insurance the primary insurer and the Host Guarantee secondary. Did they specifically say that or did they have some other explanation?

Of course they do! Why should they pay when you already have it covered!

1 Like

Just that since it was insured they would not pay. Which in part I get, but I’m not 100% covered. In 3 emails they have refused to answer if they kept any of the guests deposit. I reached out to the guest to ask her, but no reply.

Actually, it seems you should be covered: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/938/what-s-the-difference-between-airbnb-s-host-guarantee-and-host-protection-insurance.

[This section:] The Host Protection Insurance program is insurance, and is designed to cover hosts in the event of third-party claims of bodily injury or property damage. The Host Protection Insurance program is available to hosts regardless of their other insurance arrangements, but will only act as primary insurance coverage for incidents related to an Airbnb stay.

I would call back and make them give you an explanation in light of the above info.

1 Like

Thank you! I’ll ask them exactly that.

You are wanting to make a claim against your guest for damage, correct? That is not a third-party claim…there is no third party.

1 Like

Air BNB denied the claim, I asked for both insurance, and a claim against the deposit, both were denied.

Right, so I’m puzzled what you meant about asking Air about the ins. programs cited by SuiteinSeattle. One doesn’t apply if your insurance covered the damage and the other doesn’t apply because it has to be a third-party claim.

Based on SandyToes catch, I looked further at the terms. See this page: https://www.airbnb.com/terms/host_guarantee

You acknowledge and agree that any amount of Covered Losses payable to you under the Airbnb Host Guarantee will be reduced by the amounts you have already collected for the same Covered Losses from a source other than the Airbnb Host Guarantee, including without limitation: (i) amounts received under an insurance policy, guarantee or indemnity; (ii) a security deposit; or (iii) payment directly by the Responsible Guest or an Invitee (defined below), or other party or an insurer or guarantor of such party.

It’s a long document and I didn’t get as far as finding any term that requires one to use one’s own insurance prior to requesting Host Guarantee payment. I would still ask them to explain the denial of your claim in writing.

1 Like

Oh I rec’d a great email this morning. They told me that they considered all documentation and have advised me again that I have been denied as I have insurance. The feel with the insurance I could purchase a suitable replacement - never mind it won’t match the sectional and I’m still out of pocket - and that “as further communication will not change the outcome of this case, we must respectfully disengage from further discussion”. They refuse to tell me if they claimed any of the guests security deposit.

We have had two claims totaling $4,000 in damages and Airbnb denied both. But they were shady about how they denied the claims. I’ve posted all about this, but this system won’t let me post the link since I’m a new member, but long story short, Airbnb does a lot of shady things to try and deny a claim by a host.

We have started collecting stories and contact information from hosts that are interested in filing a class action lawsuit to get real changes made. This may sound drastic, but when you see host after host go through this and you get to experience the pit in your own stomach when someone damages your home and no one at Airbnb will help you…it suddenly seems like the only right thing to do! They are making tons of money off our homes, they promise protection and they get away with robbery!!!

Feel free to contact me if you’re interested!

Hi there, what was the basis of their denial?