What's relevant?

This is a good suggestion as you could mark down the guests who rate 5 on all the topics given by taking off 1 (or 2) if they are “hard work” but technically not doing anything wrong.

@konacoconutz Does that mean you won’t modify the guest count (assuming it’s still within your max occ.) to a reservation after booking?

Whether he was officially on the reservation seems beside the point to me. The guest asked, the host granted, and, had the relative been sane, it would’ve been a non-issue.

@Ashb24 I ran into a different scenario, but with a similar conundrum on how to review. A nice couple booked my place to attend a wedding (family on his side). His second cousin and her husband stayed in the other room. She was LOUD and also left a drinking glass in the garden that she’d used as an ash tray. I was not impressed.

I could hear the booking guest begging her to quiet down at 2 am. The guest apologized profusely in the morning. In my public review I didn’t mention the relative, but mentioned it in private feedback. I know it was on the booking guests’ “watch”, but she did all she could to make it right. I wish Airbnb gave the option to flag a guest of the party because I would have done that.

3 Likes

No, I mean I wouldn’t admit someone who was not on the reservation onto my property. You are putting words in my mouth. If she had added this guy as an official guest, we’d be having a different conversation.

If you are not on the reservation, you are not allowed on my property period, and it’s not besides the point.

Hmmmmm… your guest was perfectly fine imposing the crazy guy on you. It is the guest who did you wrong - she could have simply told him not to come. Your guest should be reviewed with information that she has a crazy person associated with her who will come and destroy your place with her blessing.

The reason to have everyone on the reservation is so that everyone is accounted for and they are accountable. The stay starts at check in, what happens inn the airbnb is the responsibility of those on the reservation. I would mention that the guest’s group did all those things. Who knows what her next interaction with a host will be? If it includes being ok with a crazy person showing up to do stuff like that I would, as a host, place the blame squarely on the guest. And then the host for not letting everyone know.

“I specifically told him not to move anything, but he still disassembled the table, moved it to the bedroom, and moved the entire bed, frame and all, to the living room.”

Really? This is major - and future hosts need to know what happened. No host would want a guest who has ‘friends’ they are ok to foist on a host who will do stuff like that.

“I’m not exactly sure what all he did, but something he did made our lights and tv flicker. He left ALL electronic items unplugged when he left. He also left the tenant an wrench and told the tenant to turn off the gas if she thought she smelled gas. You know, instead of just leaving the premises and notifying us.”

This is unsafe and hazardous. Please please please leave a review that mentions all these things, because they are part of the stay. Please do not try to parse this by saying it was another person - the rules are the person who pays for the space is the responsible one.

Hosts do not deserve to be endangered by another host who 'hates to leave a bad review".

2 Likes

I didn’t mean that in an offensive way. I was really trying to understand how you’d handle a request for an additional guest who was going to stay one night of a longer reservation. What confused me was that it sounded like “I wouldn’t do that” was referring to adding the additional person to the reservation.

I too require anyone on my property to be in the official guest count - something I picked up from you and has served me well.:wink:

1 Like

No, you misunderstood. I did not say I wouldn’t add a person to the reservation. I did say that once you do that, you can then review the inspector person as a guest. Since the host made the decision to allow the entry of this person, who was NOT a guest, then the host bears the responsibility of what the guy did.

That is why we would be having a different conversation if Inspector Cloosu was an official GUEST.

1 Like

Hello, friends of the guest who came on the property should never been allowed by the host in the first place.

1 Like

I thought I was stepping out of this discussion! :joy:

2 Likes

I don’t agree with you but for lack of argument’s sake, let’s pretend I do. Now, how do we get a review that is helpful for us as hosts? Because blaming Ashley for this and saying the guest was “nice” is not going to do single thing to prevent her from doing this to another host. So the next Airbnb has The Inspector on the reservation, same thing happens to their space and they are wondering why this guest has previous good reviews.

"X was nice but had a relative arrive first to inspect and re-arrange my home. He did several unacceptable things to my space: [list here] Because I mistakenly did not alter the reservation to include the relative it was my fault for letting him into the apartment. Don’t make the mistake I made, just don’t let X bring her relative into your space and everything will be fine.

Well I wrote a simpler version of this exact review above!

I wouldn’t have let inspector gadget in, and would have blocked his interfering with my property. I think it’s important you give this guest the thumbs down and give a negative review. She is not an innocent party. It was HER codependent relationship with her relative which caused the problem. There’s no way I would invite a controlling relative of mine with no boundaries into an Airbnb I booked and was responsible for. She needs to grow up and you would do her a favour with an honest review. It’s really not ok.

2 Likes