What were your newbie hosting mistakes?

Exactly that kind of thing. I also often get a bee in my bonnet when I see the photographs on listings. Will the guests be pleasantly surprised when they arrive or disappointed? Will the fresh flowers shown in the photographs really be there? Will that luxury pile of beautifully folded towels really be on the plush bed?

Precisely :slight_smile:

I have the same season as youā€¦weā€™re in the same town.

Hmm. Really? I think you are mistaken.

I may be incorrect. Loosely, where is your location?

@Jess1 Yes, we are an Airbnb vacation rental software company. The answer that we have provided is a summary of what we have found to be some of the common mistakes that new hosts make. Hosts often do not realize that being an Airbnb host is time-consuming and therefore we also suggested that it is wise to invest in automation whether it is a home temperature automation unit, a smart lock or software. In fact, apart from making hosting easier, it can help you to impress your guests as automation can help you to offer a better guest experience.

1 Like

When I first posted my listing I had included a reference to a local lovely pub/restaurant. My very first Airbnb guests (have had guests for years before Air) rolled up and wanted to go immediately for lunch but unbeknownst to me the pub had recently decided to only open during the weekend. After that, I immediately changed my listing to advise potential guests to check the opening times of local pubs and eateries. I ended up running around after these guests in a way I have never done before or since but it was my assumption that led to the problem and I felt duty bound to help on any way I could which included making them some lunch. Lesson learnt.

2 Likes

Unbelievable!!

I have a document with all the reviews pre-written according to what type of guests they are. And at the top of it in red is this sentence that I believe I copied from this forum:

The sooner one accepts there is no way to predict your guestā€™s behaviour prior to their arrival or their rating after they leave the better.

Lol that was a rhetorical statement. Your ideas on hosting donā€™t accord with ours here. This is a forum for hosts, not a selling opportunity for you.

1 Like

I donā€™t think we pushed anyone to buy anything here. You expressed your opinion, we expressed ours. This is what this forum is about. Besides, if you pay attention youā€™ll notice that using automation was only one of 4 tips.

None of which sound like the result of experience.

1 Like

I hosted a lot of exchange students before doing airbnb and I have to say that the Europeans were the WORST. Even after being warned that you canā€™t drink here underage, they still did it. Especially Germans and Spaniards. They end up in court frequently. Now I tell them if they break the law, they are on their own.

1 Like

Iā€™d love to see that document!

1 Like

A lot depends on the accommodation and how guests are treated. We donā€™t offer student-type accommodation and our teenage guests have been here on vacation, not studying. Maybe thatā€™s what makes the difference.

1 Like

What is the new host boost? Iā€™ve been hosting for 4 years and have never heard of it.

A new listing shows up in the top of the search results.

Boy do I wish someone had given me these guidelines to avoid disasters. Instead we learned the hard way.

1. Do not rent to local people who want one night stays without specific reasons like a family funeral. They just donā€™t want to trash their place.

2. If they are students, even college be ware of unauthorized parties, smoking and general trashing of place.

3. If a guest violates a major house rule, ie brings 2 dogs to a no pets rental, donā€™t allow them to remove the pet and stay. They retaliate by trashing the place, by doing things like soiling carpets terrible. You canā€™t really point a finger, but you end up paying the price after they leave. If they violate a rule you feel needs to be confronted, ask them to leave.

4. Do not accept automatic bookings because you get all of the above in excess. Itā€™s not worth the extra money.

5. If you have a no smoking policy, purchase a cigarette smoke alarm and install remote monitoring. It can be very expensive to remove smoke from a group of major smokers. Itā€™s much better to find out quickly and have them o elsewhere. Otherwise you end up cleaning or replacing carpets, chairs, linen, curtains, mattress etc as well as the extra potential for fire damage. AirBnB is almost useless when it comes to filing claims. There is always a way around something and they side with guests to quickly dismiss complaints. For Major damages they will not even give you contact information to serve legal notices.

So basically consider yourself on your own and be wise. Yes you will get stung, but hopefully not terribly but realize some loss is part of any business.

2 Likes

allowing single night bookings at the weekend - someone books the saturday night and blows the whole weekend

1 Like

Reminds me of Bill Engvallā€™s ā€œHereā€™s Your Sign!ā€ https://youtu.be/p5ZkdHImCuQ

I already had some knowledge as a landlord. Air was, and is, much easier. What I learned is that anything you want them to do must be repeated in the rules, because they sign off on them. This makes for longer lists and much greater compliance.

1 Like