What Types of Scheduled Messages Do You Have?

Your communication plan is well thought out, with each message likely being short and focused on one kind of information. Thank you for sharing your communication plan.

I’m curious if you’ve created a guidebook on Airbnb as it is quite easy to do.

On #5 I’ve come to the feeling that that message might be important as I’ve read somewhere on this or the reddit Airbnb forum for flaky hosts who cancel last minute. So that message might be reassuring, plus perhaps an implicit prompt to review the house manual. We have wood floors and ask that guests remove their shoes. A few have brought their own slippers though we provide some and I’ve wondered whether to remind them to bring slippers if they want to wear their own, otherwise we have slippers for them (a nice way to remind them to take shoes off?).

I like #7 though we have a number of three-day stays, so I might do that a few hours after they check in.

On #1, we have an August smart lock integrated with Airbnb, so they get that information automatically from August/Airbnb. The code changes with each guest, a nice security feature.

On reading these messages I realize: 1) some of us have unique situations that really call for more information – for example, on directions where Google Maps is inadequate or where we feel the assumption that someone has GPS is misplaced, 2) we each have our own personality and style. I suspect that guests will give us some leeway if we provide more or less information in separate messages as long as the information is provided. 3) Our message plan is likely based in part on feedback we’ve received. So if our experience is that people get lost, or don’t know where to get groceries or thank us when we point them to some local resources, we each of course are going to factor that in future communications.

I’m trying to keep my communications on the Airbnb platform rather than elsewhere because that’s what Airbnb tells us to do. Plus, in case there is some dispute I want a written record that Airbnb can see and is indisputably between me and the guests.

I get it. Again, this might be a new topic but the advantage of the kind of survey I would ask would give me insight on where to focus attention. But one thing we do that has sometimes provided such insights is to ask guests for a review AND also a private note on anything we could have done or provided that would have made their stay more enjoyable.

Yes, it really depends on the listing, the location, whether someone is an off-site host or a home-share host, etc.

Off-site hosts of entire places may tend to get the type of guests who prefer as little as possible interaction with the host. Which is fine, as long as they read the necessary information provided.

Home-share hosts like me may tend to message quite a bit with guests, and the guests actually appreciate it, as if they didn’t want interaction with the host, they probably wouldn’t have booked a home-share in the first place.

And it also depends on whether you get guests who are from in-country. A US guest coming to a US destination is in their element and culture so don’t necessarily need much in the way of communication.

Most of my guests are arriving from other countries, they don’t know how things work here, they don’t know the best way to exchange currency, they don’t speak the language, they don’t know how to get their phone to work here, etc, etc. so they appreciate more detailed information.

1 Like

I send just like that.

As an FYI you could use Airbnb’s ‘codes’ to insert the guest’s name. We do that for some personalization.

I’m curious what general checkout procedures are. For example, we say “You needn’t do anything special to checkout tomorrow. No need to strip the beds, that kind of thing. If you’ve moved anything, please return it to its original place. When you leave just press the RED AUGUST logo on the keypad to lock the door. Our cleaner has been scheduled to arrive at or shortly after the check-out time of 10 am.”

Am I missing something?

Hahaha - I’m with you. Several years ago at a charming Dallas AirBnb home share, my host literally met me at the door with a tray of wine and cheese - and seemed miffed that I chose not to partake. I’m sure many or most of her guests were charmed and delighted. Not my style- but I mentioned it positively in her review.