What to do when a guest wants to pay outside of Airbnb?

I don’t agree I much prefer using VRBO or HomeAway to Air. I find them much more human and quality of guests superior and also longer stays.

I was referring to when you mentioned earlier that requests to book outside of the platform happen frequently. I was just commenting that (outside of scammers) many travelers have been educated by VR owners that their credit card protects them anyway. So they can save money next time they book a property by not paying the high service fees.

1 Like

Where does this ask? When a person in Europe logs into their bank online and initiates a bank transfer…it prompts them to select who will pay the charges? And if so, is there standard business protocol when making purchases? Example: if the banking info is on your website, will it typically state who to select as the party that bears the fees?

Within the EU all bank transfers are free.

So there is absolutely no reason to use a creditcard.

I put 90% of the things I buy on credit card to get the cash back, frequent flier miles, etc. If used properly (like never carrying a balance) they pay for themselves many times over. Do Europeans not have such credit card programs?

1 Like

My experience is that most businesses don’t want to pay the credit card company fees so credit cards aren’t as popular. They seem to be gaining in popularity, though.

As a businessperson I don’t like paying the fees but I’d lose clients if people couldn’t use their credit cards.

I know there are some companies that have a such Programms, but most don’t.

The other issue is that only big companies accept them, and mostly only MasterCard and Visa, the rest is useless here.

And since the EU has forbidden to add the 3% cc charge to the bill, most smaller companies have stopped accepting them.

I do not accept them either (cash or bank transfer only), there is a bank 150m down the road, they can get their cash there.

The only reason most people have a CC is internet purchases and subscriptions.

3 Likes

I am a complete newbie here, so I wasn’t sure if I should add to a year-old thread, or start a new topic. I opted to post here. I’m also new to AirBnB, and have some questions about a request to book outside of ABB. We just got our first guest request, asking if a date range was available (we have to do 30+ day stays, due to our HOA rules). She wants to stay for 2 months. I tell her those dates are available, then she replies that she wants to pay outside of ABB, and asks what the cost would be. I did some Googling and found this AirHostsFourm site, found this thread, and read through it. Then, I replied that her request was not allowed under ABB’s TOS, asked her what was the Service Fee that ABB was going to charge her, and said if she’s still interested in booking through ABB, I would see if there was a way to lower what we’d charge, so it would net out the same cost to her. So, was that a good reply on my part? Any advice from you more experienced hosts? Thanks in advance, Dan

During the pandemic the scammers are out in full force and definitely trying out Airbnb hosts. I would not accept this guest. If you are in the US she will get tenants rights and evictions are difficult even in “normal” times. Tell her she can lease the place with a lease, background check, deposit, advance payment and I expect that will be the end of that.

4 Likes

Thanks for your speedy reply. I have not heard back since my last message to her, so I guess I got my answer. :wink:

2 Likes

Also, be sure you report this guest to Airbnb. I just had my first request in weeks for a few days in Sept and it was a scam. I didn’t reply, I just reported her.

Thanks, I’ll go figure out how to do that. So much to learn …

On the website scroll down on the left side of the message thread and click “report user.” On the app, it’s probably in a similar location but I’m not going to go look.

Here’s the scam request I got last night

melanie

Today I got a generic email from Airbnb saying to check my account because I’d been in touch with someone whose account was removed for violating the TOS. They didn’t say it was “Melanie” but her message to me is gone now.

1 Like

@danclarkwcp Do not lower your price to offset Airbnb’s service charges. If you want to offer long term discounts, that’s up to you, but don’t ever adjust your price on the basis of what a guest is being charged by Airbnb.
And as far as offering long-term discounts, any discounts should be yours to offer- not discounted because a guest requests it. Those who start off asking for discounts are red flags and generally turn out to be bad news in other ways, as well.
If a guest can’t afford to rent your place, they should look for listings that are within their budget.

3 Likes

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. I have not heard back from this “Guest”, so it must not have been a real request.

1 Like

Not a great answer no :slight_smile: @danclarkwcp .

As @KKC says sounds like an obvious scammer - they often target new hosts for this sort of approach because they know in most cases experienced hosts will tell them where to go :slight_smile:

A better one would be that your current price represents great value and booking through Airbnb protects her as the guest as well as yourself as the host.

I certainly wouldn’t be offering to pay her Airbnb fees for her (what you are doing by lowering the price).

Do have a look at Airbnb Help - great for the basics around managing your listing and Airbnb Community is good for getting host feedback on issues.

The guest hasn’t come back to you as they wanted to book outside of Airbnb so they can drive the price down and also if something goes wrong with a long term booking you have no protection.

1 Like

Thanks KKC, muddy and Helsi. I guess I’m getting my ABB newbie host “Trial By Fire”. I’ve gotten another inquiry, from someone else, asking me to contact them outside of ABB. Someday, perhaps I’ll get a real customer :wink:

I’ve reported both people. Should I also be choosing “Decline” for their requests, or will that negatively affect by rating on ABB? Sorry for all the questions, and thanks for your patience. If you ever want to visit San Francisco, …

This is not a good time to start hosting. But at least you came upon this forum where we can help you.

I just report them.

2 Likes