What to do if a guest can't leave due to snow storm and next guest is arriving the same day?

5 ft of snow! The UK experiences total meltdown with 5 inches. No public transport, no flights and no trains into London currently. It’s driving me nuts having himself at home all day, having to hoover around his laptop bag(s) and clear up after him; 2 days pw is quite enough. He tried to earn Brownie Points y’day by doing some laundry, namely his work shirts. He put them in the tumble dryer, not the washer…

4 Likes

That’s cos it’s London, we have snow here but public transport is still running fine.

You should never clear about after a himself…a slippery slope :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would simply put your daughter in a hotel for a night.

2 Likes

Too late after 25 years! To be fair, he wasn’t too bad until I retired professionally a few years ago, and the growth in smart phones/social media hasn’t helped. And he does do most of the cooking as well, although I do the prep and cook on highdays and holidays. But of course, I then get to clear up… he’s better when we have guests thankfully.

1 Like

Well, they chose not to leave yesterday and get out this morning. There is currently a blizzard warning in effect. I did let them know that the NOAA issued an urgent warning and to look at their website for all of the details. The road is currently open but for how long… Hopefully long enough for them to make is safely over the pass.

1 Like

LOL!! To be fair, it’s a bit more than 5 inches but you’re right - we are always totally unprepared for it. I think it’s a deliberate ploy to instigate that mythical ‘Blitz spirit’ that certain media outlets are so fond of perpetuating. Our local shop has run out of bread, milk, vegetables and pretty much anything fresh. When I was in earlier, people were just buying tins of beans and loads of alcohol!!

1 Like

What are you going to do if they can’t and will you be stuck too, or do you have somewhere to stay?

We have had the same around here people going mad in supermarkets - I really don’t understand why people leave it to the last moment, when we’ve known for at least a week.

I got a food delivery last night…very civilised - no flighting over food for me :slight_smile:

Snug as a bug in a rug and working from home so don’t need to go out until it’s all over :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Helsi She does not have any other place to stay. My daughter has already arrived at our home and they have officially checked out. If they show up, my daughter would be willing to let them in and stay with her. It is noon. Check out was at 11am and they left at 8:36 so seems like they are not turning around. It would be more dynamic if we had a guest through Airbnb get stuck and the incoming Airbnb guest showed up at check in to find it was occupied. I would immediately call Airbnb but I wonder what Airbnb would do. I think that the guest that did not check out would have to let the new guest come in and stay together rather than throwing either of them out in blizzard conditions.

Nice! Same here actually. I’m quite enjoying it, to be honest. It’s so quiet. And I love the sense of freedom walking the streets with so few cars. Might even make a couple of snowpeeps tomorrow :slight_smile:

And now we wake up this morning to learn that hundreds of people are still stuck in their cars overnight, having been warned not to drive in Red Alert areas. Probably going to the supermarket…

1 Like

Hahahah bahaha, post of the day.

Sounds like it has all resolved. But I don’t think most guests would presume they would overdtay in a rental where they were meant to check out. I mean, I wouldn’t. I would find other arrangements in the area.

It’s infuriating. I work in the NHS and many of our staff were out putting their lives at risk, trying to reach those idiots who ignored the warnings not to drive and were stuck on the motorways and out on the roads.

And lots of people are turning up in A&E with injuries associated with slips and falls.

1 Like