What’s good enough?

Of course we don’t throw the stuff out. I use them myself. I provide liquid soap and also a small bar soap (I found some little bar soaps at Walmart here in Mexico- they’re the equivalent of about 30 cents each, they come in a little cardboard box, so no plastic garbage. Guests either use them, in which case there is really nothing left of them, or I find it untouched, still in the box).

I don’t supply shampoo or any other bathroom products other than q-tips, cotton balls, and ear plugs. And dollar store toothbrushes if they need one.

Use them at home.

I grate leftover bits of soap, put them in a jar, and add boiling water. Great for cleaning and laundry``.

2 Likes

As others have said, I use them myself though I let them sit for a few days to let any things living on them die.

I’ve said repeatedly (hosts don’t read I guess) that it’s about appearances more than any reality. Maybe it has a subliminal effect maybe it doesn’t. It certainly has an effect on my mindset.

I guarantee you that when the pandemic started and it was being reported that toilet plume might be spreading the virus as it was present in feces, it wasn’t that far fetched to wonder if TP might be contaminated. I’ve kicked this dead horse enough. I’m happy that some hosts don’t change the TP roll since I think it can’t do any harm and may give me a competitive advantage. I also think hosts should quit washing the sheets if they look clean.

4 Likes

Sounds good to me. Unless it’s a four star, high end suite and a very desirable location where you’re charging like three or $500 a night, that sounds fine to me what you’re saying. It’s unreasonable to expect your cleaners are going to do a perfect job unless they are also five star cleaners. If I was a guest I would be very pleased with what you’re offering; it sounds like you have everything there that they need as guests. Cheers

Wow do you sound like my wife. Verbatum. We can never go anywhere as we have several ABBs and are growing. No one minds you business like you do, but we have to trust our help more. They are always going to miss something that you would do differently but I really do not believe it is an issue. We get fantastic reviews allways. There has to be a balance.

2 Likes

I prefer to close down to go on vacation. Beyond the very exacting cleaning that I do that I don’t trust anyone else with, of course, I don’t want to worry about my listing or any guests while on vacation. I want to be totally free and relaxed, guest-free.

2 Likes

I have found that to do that I have to unlist. Otherwise I will get someone waking me up in the middle of the night requesting to stay with two rabbits, with a name of Invisible Vengeance Returns and with a hand drawn picture of a two headed dog as their profile picture.

7 Likes

I’ve blocked off all the open dates when I needed a completely guest-free zone. Not sure if I will next time. I’d hate to think I’m missing out on Invisible Vengeance. From what I understand they were a great guest.

4 Likes

They were. Rabbits are really clean and quiet. And the couple changed their name before arrival. I’m sure most hosts didn’t just say “Great, see you in two weeks.”

1 Like

:joy: I want this guest now

2 Likes

Here’s my original post about them.

1 Like

:open_mouth: OMG that’s hilarious!

1 Like

I want the Four Seasons to send their housekeeping staff to us for training :wink:

2 Likes

well, that’s not true. The bed sheets have dead skin cells from the person who slept in there, so they MUST be washed. The TP is fresh on the roll, even if the guests used some of it. We can’t compare the two things.

1 Like

I’m quite sure KKC was being sarcastic.

4 Likes

I absolutely was.

I’d rather be exposed to dead skin cells than feces.

Really, I’ve made it abundantly clear I think best practices is to have a fresh roll of tp. I’ve given my reasons. It’s so wierd to me that people think someone should wash their hands after going to the bathoom but they think it’s fine to touch the tp those hands touched. It’s wierd to me that people publicly defend not changing the roll. It would be like me defending not washing everything on the bed.

2 Likes

I honestly don’t understand the debate about a fresh roll of TP. It’s such a non-issue. What’s the big deal about putting out a fresh roll? It’s not like the old half-used roll needs to be thrown away. If the host has an issue with using the leftovers themselves, go donate them at the local homeless encampment or shelter.

On the other hand, if a cleaner neglects to put out an unused roll, I don’t think it’s something a host needs to feel mortified about. “Best practices” doesn’t mean an occasional slip-up is some huge deal.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s a big deal if it’s not changed. I use TP all over the place that has been pawed by feces laden hands. But if I thought it was stupid to put out a fresh roll I wouldn’t be defending the practice.

1 Like

I meant it’s a non-issue in that why wouldn’t hosts put out a fresh roll? It’s such an easy thing to do and doesn’t entail any expense because the leftovers will get used.

1 Like

Made me spit out my drink :rofl: :rofl:

I can’t help but think that those with feces-laden hands aren’t exactly using the TP in the most advantageous manner. :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes