What questions do you ask guests when they request a booking?

It’s not a lease, and it does not specify any period of time, so I never even thought about that. But because it was drawn up by an attorney I feel comfortable with it.
Also, sometimes people find it difficult to send it back to via computer -especially older folks, so I say if it’s too difficult they can just state that they agree to the terms and provide their driver’s license number. Always works out fine!

1 Like

thank you very much for your feedback… very helpful. not sure why I waited so long… sat completely empty for june… in a beach town! I read some horror stories about people not getting paid on vrbo from another forum… have you had any troubles? thanks again for your input!

Never. Not sure how that’s even possible because they have to be paid up several days before they even arrive.
And I have also been getting comparatively few bookings from Airbnb on my cabin lately. Could be due to some of the negative press that Airbnb has been receiving lately, due to increasing fees.
I’ve also heard- not sure how true it is - that the younger crowd tends to lean more towards Airbnb than VRBO.

1 Like

It is posted on my listing, and ABB said that as long as it’s posted, they would give a penalty- free cancellation. Whether that actually happens or not, I don’t know.
From what I’ve read, it seems like most of these websites protect the renters more than the host. Fortunately, I’ve never had to deal with that.

1 Like

I read the description numerous times but see nothing about clawfoot- it says 72x74 but had to research a bit and it said you should have Typically, a curtain that’s designed for a clawfoot tub will measure about 180 inches wide by 70 inches long for a wraparound clawfoot shower curtain?

“sat completely empty for june… in a beach town!”

Maybe your photos or listing itself needs updating? Are your prices similar to those in your area?
Hurricane fears??

Sounds like you’ve answered your own question then, perhaps? Personally, I, too would rather sacrifice more bookings for better “quality” renters. Also less wear and tear on the place!

1 Like

Hi there. I tried signing up to VRBO today (in Canada) and no one could tell me THE MOST IMPORTANT DETAIL- how a host is protected for damages. Apparently in US, you can choose 3 options for damage deposit/coverage but in Canada you have to put an amount- they charge the credit card- say for 5000- and if they cause 10,000 or burn your house down- you have NO COVERAGE… The fact this is so unclear when signing up or on the website- makes me very antsy. Whereas airbnb offers up to a million in damage coverage VRBO doesn’t seem to… This makes it alot more unattractive to me… I know it’s a worse case scenario but still - this info should be really clear on a website.

They do allow for security deposit, as you said. And I would think if there wa were thousands of dollars’ worth of damage, you would just put in an insurance claim, no?
From what I’ve read, Airbnb hardly ever pays out these claims - it seems that they predominantly side with the guests.

1 Like

Under Airbnb rules a guest MUST be the person booking & verified otherwise you are not covered for Airbnb’s public liability insurance.

I have had a wife who has been verified booking their husband. I get them to change the profile to the husbands name & then you’re covered.

However, recently a person booked (shall name them Christina) & after confirming & advising my address I get ‘a message to say ‘I’m not Christine I’m Michael’ Upon quering this they announce that they ‘borrowed’ a friends’ account.

I immediately cancel them & call Airbnb who advised I would be penalised !! I told them I wasn’t comfortable with someone ‘using’ another persons’ account & why couldn’t they just open their own Airbnb account? I was then advised by Airbnb that anyone could do this! How about ‘verification’ of this ‘new’ person I asked to which they had no reasonable reply!

I insisted on NOT being penalised & then panicked as I wasn’t at all comfortable with this person knowing my address! I then locked the house & jumped into my car, (my Airbnb are rooms in my house) & backed out hurriedly breaking my back light. I then told Airbnb that they could pay for it!
Of course they refused!

Amusing eh?

Many hosts prefer to rely on their own STR insurance. I don’t know what insurance company you use, but I’ve never had a problem with claims.

On the other hand, I read here all the time about hosts being unable to claim from Airbnb or they realise that the process takes far too long to be bothered with.

Proper sequence is to call airbnb and then cancel if needed.

@TeriGeri That Michael told you he wasn’t Christina and that he was using her account likely means he wasn’t planning on coming to ax murder you.

So while Airbnb shouldn’t be allowing this third party stuff, I’d consider your reaction to be a bit more over-the-top than just amusing. If I was that scared of someone just because they tried to third-party book, I think I’d be too scared to host at all.

In what way do you think Airbnb’s “verification” protects you?