What items / services would you charge extra for, and how much?

Yes, we are on the west side of Queen Anne (Space Needle, Kerry Park) so no light rail (yet).

1 Like

Oh boy, now I have to think about this again. Thinking always gets me in trouble.

Aye, me too. At least thatā€™s what my OH always says :smile:

JF

1 Like

Now I remember why!! To save them the $5 card ā€œinvestmentā€.

2 Likes

The tell them they get $5 back if they leave the card, zip if they donā€™t! And make sure youā€™ve got plenty of $5 notes!

JF

2 Likes

If you sell it they take them with them because itā€™s theirs. What was cool about the set up I described is that because of the rolling system (assuming someone uses it and recharges it) is that you never have the days you paid for go to waste. When I buy a week pass and stay less than a week I give the card to someone in the station after I use it the last time. But as I said I think it would be impossible to have that set up if guests werenā€™t in the same house with you. My hosts knew I was using the card and trusted me to put more time on it.

1 Like

Iā€™m glad your umbrellas are still there. I guess we have more rain here in the north compared to sunny Andalucia :wink:

You also have more IKEA stores in the North. Umbrellas are $4 USD. Just raise your price a dollar a night and buy about 20 of them a year. List free use of umbrella in your listing.

1 Like

We have lots of rain here in our area of West Virginiaā€”an annual average of 42 inches. I keep enough umbrellas at each AirBnB (all are separate entire houses) to accommodate the guests in a stand by the main entrance. In the last year, out of 12 umbrellas, only one disappeared. The guest who took it called me the day after checkout and apologized profusely and offered to mail it back. :smile: The postage would have been outrageous and I had already replaced the umbrella for less than $5, so I told her no worries, keep it for a souvenir!

2 Likes

Get HUGE umbrellas, nothing that can be taken by accident.

RR

1 Like

I provide all of those for free but then it depends on a hostsā€™ situation. I am semi retired running my house as an AirBNB guest house so have the time to do station runs (The local taxi cartel charges around Ā£35 each way which is ridiculously expensive) and little extra ā€˜conciergeā€™ type things as long as theyā€™re not daft. To other hosts who may work full time dealing with extras may be very inconvenient so a charge makes it worthwhile for them to go out of their way for guests.

1 Like

Agreed. Mine are the large, two person type, and much too big to fit inside a suitcase. The folks that took it by mistake were traveling by car, had used it, and left it in the car by mistake.

late checkout Ā£10, use of integral city centre garage Ā£10 per night, street parking vouchers Ā£8 per day (cost me Ā£4.50), lift or pickup to Heathrow Ā£60 (5hr drive, only done it with one guest), sukkeefukkee 5 dorra.

1 Like

This is a good look.

I donā€™t charge extra for anything. I have up to 4 people in close proximity and no pizza escapes their gaze. We swap favours though. Some take advantage, but it usually works out quite well.

1 Like

Airbnb got on my case for charging $3 for use of laundry? So do I provide free detergent? I had Hans and Frans come stay while on their American road trip wash 2 sleeping bags, a tent and about 2 months of clothes. Total of 6 loads. Ridiculous on Airbnb part yo expect no rules or charges for laundry. No hotel I know of allows free laundry. Do not point out the obvious. I know itā€™s not a hotel. But it is my home. Airbnb said I have to remove it as an amiinity if I charge? Over $3 soap included?

Maybe chain them to a big wooden spoon like a bathroom key too :laughing:

I thought when I first read that ā€˜what nonsenseā€™ but I suppose it does make sense. In Airbnb world, an amenity is something thatā€™s included in the nightly price, although Iā€™ve read comments from plenty of other hosts who charge for laundry use.

We do, but itā€™s easy and unavoidable as itā€™s a shared laundry (shared between 10 apartments) and is coin-operated.

One solution would be to up your nightly price by only one dollar. Assuming that your occupancy is 300 night per year thatā€™s $300 per annum you have to allow guests ā€˜freeā€™ laundry.

We have two apartments and Iā€™d estimate that between the two weeks can go by without any guests doing laundry. So with the additional $300 per annum, youā€™d be in profit :slight_smile:

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure if anyone has had success with it, But there has been discussions in the past on this board about having a minibar in the unit.

Iā€™m really wondering if you got a CS rep that didnā€™t know what they were talking about - it happens fairly often. When ticking the box for washer or dryer it says ā€œin the building, free or for a feeā€ so it doesnā€™t make sense that you canā€™t charge a fee.

Feel free to send this pic into them if youā€™d like.

1 Like