What is with guests never locking my front door?

Did you read her post? The guest left and didn’t lock the door when he left. So anyone could have walked right in.

1 Like

Did you read what she wrote? You need a key to open the door from the outside.

So it does not matter if the guests locks the door or not, you cannot „walk right in“ without having a key.

@Chris I think the rest of us understood this to mean that there is no key needed to open it from the inside. And in this case it was clearly left UNLOCKED by the guest so anyone could have gotten in, even without a key.

So the host is blaming the guest because the host has an oldfashionate and potentionaly dangerous lock on the door?

She compares with hotelrooms, but even hotelrooms lock automatically. You cannot get in without key or card.

A host cannot blame guest for not being used to its substandard technology. Instead of complaining she should get a proper foolproof lock.

1 Like

@Chris How is a standard normal lock old fashion mate and potentially dangerous? The potential danger is when the guest leaves it unlocked and leaves the house unsecured.

It is for a reason that these locks are forbidden in the hospitality industry.

Locking a door with a deadbolt lock is a death trap in case of a panic/fire.

And again, a host shouldn’t not blame a guest for not having a proper lock.

They aren’t forbidden in Airbnb.

How is it a death trap? You simply turn the deadbolt just as you do a door handle.

The host is blaming the guest only for failing to lock the door when they leave the house.

I’ve been trying for about the last 2 years to figure this out. I’ve researched many locks, doors and lock systems. You can get one of the smart locks that automatically locks or unlocks the door but the problem is the motor is weak. The door has to fit perfectly and can’t close tightly or else the deadbolt won’t work. If guests don’t latch the door completely, it won’t lock.

Right now I have an electronic keypad deadbolt that you have to manually extend/retract the deadbolt on with a lock knob after typing the code. These are the most common solution that I’ve seen but guests still have trouble with it 90% of the time and about 50% of the time don’t lock the door.

You can get the door lever version of the above but you don’t actually get the security of a full deadbolt lock. You only get the latch which extends into the door about half an inch. You could break in with something as simple as a credit card

You sound a bit out of touch. There is no such thing as a foolproof lock and with the wide variety of doors and latch systems, there isn’t an off the shelf solution for every door. Let’s say you have an odd sized custom front door and the lock set is mortised. You could drill a round hole in it for a modern lock but you ruin the look and aesthetic of the door. You’d have to get a new door made and that can cost you around $2,000. It doesn’t make sense to spend $2,000 on something like that if you’re not making a lot of money off of that property. For guests who have one room at $50/night, that doesn’t make sense.