What *is* this on the shower door and how to get it off?

I’ve tried Mr. Clean Magic Erasers, scouring powder, CLR and basically every cleaning product I own. It looks like paint but it can’t be, because we haven’t used white paint in that room.

It’s almost like it’s in between the layers of the frosted glass door…

The door is only about 3 years old.

PRO TIP: If you have hard water, never get a glass shower door. Huge mistake. That was Mr. Garden Gnome’s idea.
:slight_smile:

It also looks like the glass itself is damaged, as if it was sanded with sandpaper. It shouldn’t be difficult to remove the door and frame, patch up the holes or missing tile and put up a shower curtain.

2 Likes

It’s hard to tell, but it almost looks like the glass was abraded in some way (like they scraped it against the frame?) or it took a hard blow.

I agree with Karma. (I feel like I say that a lot!) Get over the sunk cost fallacy and switch it out for something that works better for you. Shower curtains are a lot easier to change!

3 Likes

Hmmmm. I may need to have a word with my kids…grrrrrrr.

1 Like

It might not be possible to do so but if you do want to remove the doors, here’s a how-to article:

Why a lot of people don’t like them at all.

1 Like

We have something similar between the layers of our shower screen. I think the join of the panes is not quite airtight and it’s moisture seeping in between the panes.
Depending on whereabouts on the door it is, you could disguise it by covering with patterned glass film to halfway up or you can buy spray which gives a frosted effect.

I’m going to do something I rarely do, which is disagree with Jackie’s post above … I absolutely loathe shower curtains, nasty cold things which stick to your wet body while you shower - ugh! We have large walk-in showers with a simple frameless glass screens in our Airbnbs and guests always seem to like them. I find them easy to keep clean with a sqeegee and microfible glass cloths.

3 Likes

Some of this depends on the shower. Mine is deep with a small curtain at one end. I had no curtain at all for most of the first two years but installed one this summer. I pretty sure some guests don’t close it and that’s fine. I added it mostly for warmth and privacy. In my area the water is very hard and if you don’t clean after every use the minerals become visible almost overnight. My air bathroom would look and be bigger with a glass wall instead of a solid one but keeping the glass new looking would be impossible.

1 Like

Before it was renovated, the upstairs bathroom had a shower curtain instead of a door. What you describe was exactly what used to happen. The temperature inside the shower stall was warmer than in the rest of the bathroom. It caused air currents which made the curtain blow inwards and stick to whoever was trying to shower. Icky.

It’s a small shower stall. I think it’s less of an issue with a bigger space, like Karma’s.

The downstairs bathroom is nicer and bigger. Hopefully guests will mainly be using that one. I just don’t want them to think the white mark on the upstairs shower door is dirt, when it’s not.

1 Like