What is this new super host requirement? not a superhost anymore :(

Cool, thank you! I will check it out once I get my listing in satisfactory order. First things first. I guess I can’t complain about being busy.

Does anyone have suggestions about blocking off days? I’m doing one here and there. So far 3 in June and 2 in July, both were booked otherwise and August is almost totally booked. I need to give myself a break. I think I read somewhere here that Air frowns on blocking days? I thought about just upping my pricing by a relatively significant amount on days that I want to block, making it worth my while if they get booked (I know, probably smacked on “value”) but otherwise enjoy my day off. Thoughts?

Sounds reasonable to me. It’s really up to you. Personally I don’t alter my rates, because Airbnb’s system seems to bollix it up if I change prices.

How so? I need to type 20 char…

How do they mess it up? As I recall, their system gets confused about which dates should have which rates. Basically, once you start altering the rates, my experience is that it’s hard to predict what rate will appear on a different day. Other people’s experience with this feature may be different. And if there was a bug, they may have fixed it since I last tried to use the feature.

But in general Airbnb’s quality control for their site is iffy. Since you seem to be new, consider that a friendly warning. And they always seem to be fiddling with things that are fine as they are (just my perception).

1 Like

Yes, I’ve noticed this with the co-hosting thing. No more split payments yet they still have the banner posted at the top of my inbox that I should get a co-host. They pulled the market place, now the split pay…I can’t figure out what their plan is. I put my boyfriend down as a co-host to split payments and split the income for tax purposes (and he lives here and helps with this endeavor a lot). Now they are ending it.

1 Like

That is probably why they are ending it. Too messy in terms of income. Did they make him submit a social? If not you can see why they want to keep records of payments going to a single person.

This is true. I don’t review anyone unless we have an agreement to leave each other good reviews. Even then, sometimes I get a smack about something.

It’s not that Airbnb frowns on it. What happens is that Airbnb wants to be sure that guests will book with them so when a guest searches, the search results feature listings that are easy to book. (For instance, that has a high acceptance rate or uses IB).

Of course, if anyone searches using the dates you’ve blocked your listing won’t show up but you’re blocked anyway so you don’t mind that. But if a host often blocks dates or blocks off weeks on end, the Airbnb algorithm deems the host as ‘unreliable’. So other listings will probably been shown first in search results.

I think the funniest nonsensical Superhost requirement I ever got marked for was falling below the 88% booking standard Airbnb expects by booking at… 88%. But really, I’ll reject whoever I like for whatever reason and that’s never gonna change because it is my home, but it’s just annoying. Can an algorithm be petty lol?

1 Like

These % targets they keep adding, though. I dunno. But it makes me anxious. They really are trying to homogenize the Airbnb experience. I feel like people should go to a hotel for that. Embassy Suites are the exact same shit all over the planet. But I got a crazy garden and sweet cats, and that’s why people book here. I feel like Airbnb doesn’t trust their hosts to make their own decisions, but we’re raking in the cash for them.

1 Like

Airbnb is simply doing the same thing. It’s their platform and if they want to reject you because you turn too many requests down or because you don’t get enough 5 star ratings or whatever, they will.

for every host that says this there’s another one gnashing their teeth and saying “Airbnb suspended me and now my life is ruined! I can’t live without Airbnb!” It actually does go two ways.

If I wanted to see both sides equally, I probably wouldn’t be casually venting on a forum tbh

I can’t remember on the SS# if we filled that out or not. Does anyone else recall if they ask for this for your co-host? I know we filled out info for his checking account. It seems since their system is already set up for this and should not be a big deal to generate 1099’s if you have everyone’s social.

How do you approach this?

Thanks for this. It seems weird that they would seem unreliable as many hosts have serious regulations in there municipalities regarding STR. In my area, for example, if you are renting an entire house (and you are not living there with guests) you can only do this for 120 days per year. You have to block off dates in this situation or pull your listing.

True and we have to remember that despite the fact that sometimes we think that computers can do everything, a computer program or algorithm has its limitations. In theory it should recognise why hosts block time but I don’t think that technology exists yet - even if Airbnb wanted it, which I doubt.

Although we talk a lot here about searches, there are so many variables when people put in dates, the type of listing they’re looking for and it gets even more complicated if hey are looking for other factors or features. But the chances are that as a rule of thumb Airbnb search is programmed to give precedence to a listing that is available 365 days a year rather than 120 days.

1 Like

I approach it when I have guests who love it and leave glowing. I only ask those for reviews.

I sometimes approach when they leave, along the lines of…

Thanks for leaving the place so spotless! Glad you enjoyed your stay. I will leave you five stars and would love if you could do the same! Safe travels!!

Or I might mention.l I need only one more five star review to retain my superhost status, would love if you could help.

Blah blah. Sometimes it doesn’t always work…

But now it’s just another show
You leave 'em laughing when you go
And if you care, don’t let them know
Don’t give yourself away

Good advice @konacoconutz ! I’ll feel it out and give it a try!