The OP did specifically mention Singapore guests leaving notes. I’d be a little sad if all the threads stuck strictly to the topic.
You are right of course @KKC
I didn’t see the references to notes and I think the fact threads evolve is one of the best things about this forum.
We’ve had a few gifts of food from the guests country - most have been delicious ( some Chinese tea was not to our taste sadly but beautifully packaged ). We’ve been taken out to dinner by an American couple - they insisted they paid for everything ! Very generous. We’ve shared many evenings out on our deck with guests and I’ve shared our evening meal a few times. We too have had invites to go stay with guests for free which is beyond generous. We too feel delighted when guests leave reviews in our cabin guest book.
We’ve had 90% great guests this past 2 years with the other 10% breaking our no smoking rule. So we’ve been lucky I guess. We love meeting such an array of mostly well educated and interesting people - well done Airbnb and well done all of us !!
Hi, we’ve had a collection of items from cycle shorts to chocolates.
The nicest experience, four guests from Taiwan brewing a beautiful tea and sharing it.
Oh I can relate to that! I’ve been given so much Chinese tea and have found almost all of it quite undrinkable But you’re right, it’s always in a lovely box or canister. I use some of them to keep little bits and bobs in (having ditched the tea!)
Yes I now keep my fruit tea in the beautiful pot !! The tea bags im keeping for my next Chinese guest !
You are lucky, Only gifts we get are leftover in the friedge
We have had two different guests leave us jars of honey from their bee hives. Left over beer is always appreciated.
Guest noticed my teapot collection and left me a beautiful teapot.
Reckon I’ll start showing guests my rum collection then
Just had another amazing guest leave us 7 6 packs of beer! (thats our xmas party covered!) And they had another guest stay the night so they left a $50 note on the bench.
There were all young 18 year olds, I wasnt looking forward to the clean up the next day, but they were super clean! Even made the beds and put all the towels in a pile.
I really should learn to not prejudge guests based on age!
Last year I had a guest who was a painter. He left me a piece of paper with an amazing hand-drawn sketch. I framed it and it is now hanging on the living room wall.
We’ve been gifted lots of wonderful things over the years–handmade soaps from a guest soapmaker, jewelry with hand-blown glass beads (also from the artisan herself), CDs from traveling musicians, wine, candy, plants/flowers. My favorite was a woman in town for a publishing convention–she asked me what I liked to read and perused my bookcases and left behind at least a dozen uncorrected proof copies of yet-to-be-released books she thought we would like. swoon
I just had a guest leave today who totally cleaned the apartment including the bathroom, surfaces and hoovered. I get many who tell me they have “done the cleaning for you” but they haven’t really (though any effort is appreciated) and I still need to do the above. I don’t charge extra for cleaning but give anyone who does their own dishes etc and puts them back and takes out the rubbish 5 stars for Cleanliness.
I’m definitely one of that club. I even have a book shelf over the fireplace in my bathroom
I have a well respected and successful artist, Paul Boston, and his wife visit annually. I would love him to leave something, ha ha. He is also (totally coincidentally) best friends with my favourite artist Rick Amor. I’ve said I would be more than happy for Amor to stay for a free weekend if he leaves me one of his paintings (which sell for about $200k!). I already have an etching of his I bought for $2000 in 1992. Last time they visited they left a set of catalogues from joint exhibits they did together which Rick Amor had signed for me. Priceless.
@Helsi and @KKC, count me in also. When we moved from the UK to the south of Spain there were some difficult decisions to be made in respect of the sheer quantity of books we owned. My OH and I probably had more disagreements over books (i.e. my reluctance to get rid of any) than any other topic related to the move.
Fortunately, shipping and storage costs were calculated by volume and not weight therefore we ended up with a lot of small, but heavy boxes all marked as “Books”. The comments from the movers, at both ends, tended to go along the lines of “what you doing mate, moving a library?”. Made me wonder what they’d have been saying if we hadn’t decided to gift a charity shop several thousand paperbacks that we knew we could replace in eformat!
Maybe we should start a virtual book club