What is it with the French and the Dutch and the 4/3 stars?

Disclaimer: my husband is French and he would agree they have a need to pick on something. It’s in the culture. Our recent French friends who visited us in July were amazed at how accepting we are here in NY and how much they liked that as they feel the French are judgmental even of each other. Then they proceeded to tell us about the Chicago deep dish pizza they had and how disgusting it was and so they didn’t leave a tip! I guess it was the poor waiter’s fault. I bit my tongue and rolled my eyes!

I now recall a French couple that stayed at mine about a year ago. They were polite, everything went really well between us and they were very happy with their stay. They warmly invited me to their place in the south of France, took my email address sent me an email and asked to confirm I got it, said we should definitely be in touch. Then after they checked out, along with a well-worded review, they gave me 4s across the board!

3 Likes

Voilà Quelle surprise!

2 Likes

Et quel domage!

That said, a great many of my French guests have been lovely. And rated me all 5s.

1 Like

Ok, so we’re English - 32 reviews so far - 31 5* and one 4* - and that 4* was from - a SCOT! Revenge for Flodden Field and / or a reminder of Bannockburn, perhaps?

1 Like

A single datapoint is not sufficient. Get 5 repeating instances and then we have a pattern!

1 Like

At the very least 5! I’ve hosted over 50 French guests and around 75% of them have left 4*. Even the last lot who brought their delightful young toddler who really took to me, we had a lovely time, they effused in the written review but yep, 4* is all you get.

Maybe the toddler had yet been taught to count only till 4 :upside_down_face: