What drives you nuts about people using your kitchen?

I only allow light guest use of my kitchen in the evening because I find people’s habits really annoying. These include:

• Thinking it’s fine to leave stuff on the draining board for me to dry and put away
  • Not listening to where things go in the dishwasher
  • Using masses of kitchen paper unecessarily
    *Leaving the sink dirty
    *Dawdling and being messy
    *Not ventilating and stinking the place out.
    *Unhygienic use of towels and cloths
    Anyone manage to crack the kitchen thing? I am thinking of moving towards a guest kitchenette model because they seem to really want to use my kitchen and I am so glad I am keeping them at bay!
1 Like

My listing is the home to themselves. I don’t mind if they leave a few dishes in the dish drainer for me to put back, I go through them and check to make sure they clean them properly anyway. My biggest annoyance is that they rearrange everything in the cupboards. If it was more efficient I wouldn’t mind, but it never is! Overuse of paper towels is another one that bothers me as well.

2 Likes

It drives me nuts when guests fry food. Last time, I swear the cabinets were dripping with oil. I had to wash all the cabinet doors and even the top of the cabinets had a layer of oil. Yuck!

1 Like

Check, check, check …but not my guests, but teenage son and friends …

1 Like

I must have been really lucky. I allow full kitchen access and so far haven’t had any problems with guests using it. They they have all cleaned up after themselves.

I have to say it doesn’t bother me if they leave stuff on the draining board for me to put away.

I have to put everything away on the draining board, for one thing I have the famous free range cat. Also I don’t see why able bodied adults should expect others to pick up after them. They got the stuff out so they can put it away!
I’d rather spend some time cheering up a local elderly person (my dog does most of this to be fair), than picking up after an entitled soul.

People who are used to electric stoves who don’t understand that gas stoves heat much more quickly and burn hotter.

This summer we had a university friend of my older son ‘s renting his room while he was abroad.

Her usual cooking method was crank the stove up to high, wait a long time before adding the food, burn the food, set off the smoke detector, eat burned food because she is super frugal. Rinse and repeat the next day.

She did do a good job cleaning up the burned mess in the pans, though.

My mother, who has only ever had an electric stove does the same thing when she visits and is too stubborn to change.

1 Like

I forgot that one. The gas should never go up the sides of pans, only underneath. It’s a waste of gas and damages the pans. I can’t stand the smell of burnt food. Gas is generally dangerous for the clueless.
Boy am I glad I don’t allow cooking anymore. I even just suggested to my current guest he should stop making up cold plates because I have asked him 4 times not to leave his washing up on the draining board for me to put away.
I really cannot stand people in my kitchen lol.

1 Like

Maybe they left the stuff to “drain and dry”… Could it be?

1 Like

It could well be, its quite common in private homes. However he was expressly asked more than once and in the app not to do that, and to put things away. For one thing I have the famous free range cat who would walk all over washing up. There’s hardly any anyway because most stuff goes in the dishwasher. My kitchen is not listed on Airbnb, so any use is a bonus and I am not paid enough to pick up after adults.

1 Like

It leaves me nuts when they broke something in there such as the faucet or the kitchen tiles and other tools or equipment. For temporary stay, it is unusual to left some broken stuff in there.

Breaking stuff equals guest paying for it. Shocking.

Leaving messes, monopolizing its use so that we are unable to use it. Most people don’t cook and there are few problems for the most part but those two things have happened a couple times.

Absolutely no way could I share my kitchen!

I have a couple rooms in an addition and created a little “snack center” on wire shelving with microwave, mini refrigerator, coffee, tea and dishes. It fits in a space in the hallway. I collect the dishes, wash them and put them back. The addition is divided off by a barn door.

I’m sure that no kitchen access has some effect on my bookings, but this keeps the guests out of the rest of the house and makes live-in hosting much more bearable.

4 Likes