What do you do?

I’m a gig worker, from managing the rental and my mystery shopping. I applied the first few days in April and got a letter on Wednesday that I’m not eligible.

Not withstanding, the EDD lady here in OR was fired cus she was doing a terrible job for years and years. Yep…

1 Like

And completely aside from the politics of all that is that we, as Airbnb hosts are going to be affected by this. We can get the government green light to open but if people are afraid (and all the knuckleheads who won’t wear masks or distance do make me unwilling to go out) or have no money we can’t spend it on travel.

This is exactly what I would do. SO you both lose a little but still…

I might credit him for when times are better.

host’s financial situation - can they afford to be generous?

Right. Also, for a small business, word of mouth is the most valuable advertising. Having someone with close ties to our community out in the world who has good things to say about my business has value, yes?

1 Like

This would be a better option in this circumstance because the guest has family here so is likely to return in the future. This wouldn’t be much use to someone who had to cancel a dream vacation to a random place that they may never have the opportunity to plan to visit again.

1 Like

Based only on that message, would ask for proof and refund, all of it.
What puzzles me, are Covid cancellations complaints from the hosts and why was that a question at all. To me, it’s completely normal to refund the guests in such incredible circumstances, and especially with service that wasn’t and cannot be used. Sorry if off-topic, I couldn’t post new topic for some reason and I wanted to ask you all why was that ever an issue.
Host from Europe here. Ty

1 Like

Welcome to the community and to the discussion! When you have an established trust level here, as determined by the software settings, you will be able to post new topics.

ask for proof

Is that invasive to the guest’s privacy? What if the guest worked a top secret job or has a NDA and cannot divulge who he works for?

service was not used

My time was used, and the reservation precluded me making other income. The service was available to be provided as contracted. I invest a lot of time and coordination of other people’s time into each booking.

PS @Veki - my issue with Air’s handling of COVID cancellations is not that the guests were refunded. It’s how it was handled. I refunded 100% to my VRBO guests, too. But VRBO rewarded us for it, and put it in our hands.

At least some notice from Air is a reasonable expectation in a professional relationship. Do you know they didn’t even notify their own Board?

Thank you LoneStar.

Could be seen as invasive, since she asked for nothing. I see it as an opportunity to refund her, always only with that msg in mind.

That’s interesting, very corporate, thank you for your insight. So you would / did refund them the full amount or the equivalent of hourly / day rate of all people included?

So you would / did refund them the full amount or the equivalent of hourly / day rate of all people included?

No.

Sorry, I didn’t see this. Ya, I understand the issue with Airbnb and the way they handled this, but imagine they left it in the hands of hosts, property managers and what would be the difference if they gave some notice? It’s about respect?

No, it’s about: You are about to make a decision that has the potential to destroy people’s lives as they know it. Do you give them a chance to make some contingency plans real quick? I am sure many would have loved to know this was under consideration before they just finalized a big purchase like a new car or starting a major remodel (looking at you, @KKC).

I could go on but this horse has rigor mortis and the buzzards done 'bout picked it clean. :cowboy_hat_face:

Edited to tranalate that Texan to English: that is to say there are lots of threads about it where it’s been discussed and we can’t add much at this point.

Thank you, was just googling the expression :). Ok, I will not exhaust it here as well.
Closing word: unprecedented, horror for all of us.
Thank you LoneStar, dunno how to put a heart.

2 Likes

We have an expression, “beating a dead horse” (meaning, horse-whipping it to make it “go”).

Wow. Are we talking about a weekend at a vacation rental or something else?

I’m not sure why.

LOL.

are we talking about a weekend …

no. i was answering her question why this host had an issue with how the covid EC policy was implemented.

not sure why

thought i read that you just did a bathroom remodel? i may be mistaken.

1 Like

Not mistaken and yes, the horse is dead.

1 Like

Such employers know the people need this information for loans, apartment rentals, etc. and they setup a 3rd party service for employment verification.

1 Like

Good info, but still I would not feel comfortable asking for any kind of verification. I either believe the guest or I don’t, and I have no reason to disbelieve anything this guest told me. We had extensive follow up messaging about how disappointed they all were and I 100% believe it.

Answers have been:

• refund 100%
  • refund 100% if the guest can provide proof of being laid off
  • refund 50%
  • stick with the published cancellation policy. rules are rules.
  • give the guest credit for a free future stay
  • partial credit for a future stay.
  • depends how hungry i am

Did I capture them all?

2 Likes