What are you making monthly?

Hello Everyone!

I am new to the forum and hosting and would like some tips before I go live. I am in the Atlanta area and would like to know realistically from you all who have been doing this and know the ropes, what you can bring in monthly? Any information would help.
I have a 1 bedroom 1 bath private entry rental.

Every market is different and we’d need more info. For someone starting out with no reviews it’s completely different than it is for a well established host. But to answer your question, my modest unit (as it’s been called) which is not upscale, makes about $900 a month average. I’ve been doing it 5 years, have 498 reviews and am priced at a base price of $50 a night. I also have a 1 BR, 1 bath private entry rental.

2 Likes

Thank you for your feedback, I really appreciate it. I am trying to do as much research as I can so I know what I am getting into.

1 Like

I’d advise reading as much as you can on the forum…at the same time there are plenty of folks posting here who aren’t very experienced and don’t give good advice. Some might be trolls. So as anywhere on the internet, take things with a grain of salt. After awhile most people figure out who knows what they are doing and who doesn’t. (That includes me, until you do more reading. :wink: )

2 Likes

Location, location, location! If your rental unit is within walking-distance of a popular tourist center – that greatly increases your bookings.

Mine is in a semi-remote mountain community, four miles from the nearest town, with sparse Uber and taxi service.

The town’s Main Street has 20 wine tasting rooms and a few fine-dining restaurants. Logically, guests would rather stay in-town, so they can drink and walk back their rented Airbnb unit.

Good luck!

4 Likes

You can look at the calendars and prices for comparable offerings near you to get a rough idea. Add in the fact of last minute bookings to “up” the estimated revenue.

Unless you have something special i.e., a fantastic location near a college or similar draw, my impression is that all the Eastern Seaboard cities are completely “fished out,” with far too many listings and a race to the bottom pricewise. In other words, the AirBNB ship sailed a good while ago.

2 Likes

Welcome. like others have said do your homework and study your area and the current listings that closely resemble your place. It is easier to have a successful property in a tourist area although
not totally necessary. @KKC has a very successful business going so what ever she posts will always be excellent advice. There are many other members that will help as well.
Keep us informed about how it’s going. Good Luck!!!

6 Likes

There is a calculator you can use on Airbnb that tells you how much you could earn for your type of property in your area @Practicaliving

Research competitors with similar properties in your area will help you understand how busy they are and what they charge.

Something like Airdna will help you estimate occupancy.

What others earn is irrelevant; they are not in your situation and most likely not in your location. I have no clue as to what you should be charging as I am not in your market.

1 Like

It is also more than revenue. Someone with much higher prices at 40% occupancy has much less wear and tear and turnover costs than much lower prices at 80% occupancy.

3 Likes

You all have been so helpful and have given me much needed tips. I appreciate all of the feedback! :slight_smile:

1 Like

You are welcome to the community.