Weirdest Thing Guests Left Behind

A hooka. Yep. In my no smoking home.

A credit card under the settee, must’ve been there a couple of weeks, so I assumed they had cancelled it. (not before I treated myself to new furniture). Half a bottle of gin…YES! A pair of boxers, which I gingerly put in the bin: then the next day they rung up for them.
Only joking about the furniture.

2 Likes

Just now reading this thread. I’m sorry to say that not one interesting thing has been left behind.

I did have an ethnically Chinese couple leave several items in the room’s micro fridge. They were odd and not recognized by me but it seems they were expensive or hard to find because they came back for them. I messaged them and I had to wait 40 minutes for their return. My thanks for alerting them then waiting were 4 stars in 3 categories and a complaint about how the room is smaller than the professionally taken picture shows. Ugh. I will not be informing people about leftover foods in a timely manner again.

3 Likes

(I thought for sure I had related this incident on this forum but it must have been on another forum.)

One of my guests left behind a personal diary. He emailed a frantic-sounding message that he left “his book” in the nightstand drawer and didn’t want the housecleaner to discard it. I called her, she was there cleaning and she said she just discovered it and that it was a diary (unlocked).

I asked her to call the guy because he was at the airport and let him know we would mail it to him. She called me back and said he asked whether there was any way she could get it to him. She said she would leave immediately and run it over. My condo is a half hour from the airport.

She said she pulled up to the curb where he was waving and gushed to her how relieved he was. Then he handed her a $50 bill!

I wasn’t surprised she did that good deed because she’s got a big heart. I asked her if she read any of it, as I was dying to know what he wrote…but she said, “I really wanted to but I didn’t want to miss him so I just jumped in the car and got there as quick as I could.” I said, “You didn’t even glance at the last page?!” She said, “Nope.”

Darn it.

6 Likes

A brand new iPad Air 2… which I am using right now. We contacted all the previous guests over 6 months and nobody was missing it. I am still waiting for the owner to contact me.

The other one was a loaded 9mm handgun in a kitchen drawer ( I host in Florida). It was three women traveling alone who left it behind. Major freak out by the cleaning crew. We had to call the sherif to pick up and filed a report. I was really furious since we are next to Disneyworld and we have families with kids who stays at our villa. That is my definition of a bad guest. If only the only bad thing they did was not do the dishes :wink:

6 Likes

After several frustrating experiences trying to return things I no longer alert guests unless it’s a clearly valuable item. Left behind food, I toss. The two pairs of clean rolled up socks, one under the bed and one behind the toilet I just tossed. They never asked and I never told!

1 Like

Carpet deodorizer was left behind in my bathroom. At first I had no idea why anyone would need it. After inspecting my Dyson, I found short white animal hairs in my vacuum. I don’t accept pets…

2 Likes

They brought the dog and tried to cover the smell by sprinkling someing to mask the smell.

Either that or a white cat…they are quiet and their pee stinks.

Wealthy Venezuelan family did some serious shopping at luxury brand stores during their stay.
They neatly lined up all receipts on dining table as if they wanted someone else to see?.

Gucci, Feragamo, Harry W, Tiffany, LV, Helicopter tour pass, a couple of iphones, ipads, etc…
A little over $20k in shopping. I have never seen such amounts… so that was a memorable item.

3 Likes

We had a guest leave a whole big bin of bath toys in our loft. Not really odd until you realize that the person staying was a single 40 year old man.

6 Likes

Did they pay cash? Dollar signs!

Don’t tell me. They wanted a discount from you!

1 Like

(urp…were the toys wet?) :astonished:
Don’t answer.

1 Like

In a bag that some guests left I found 2 watches. The bag with toys etc were left behind in order to bring it to charity. When I saw the watches I immediately made pictures and sent a message through airbnb to the guests aswell as to the owner of the appartment. The guests responded quite relaxed… ‘Ohhh we forgot about those. You can do anything you want with it’. These watches turned out to be real Gucci and an other expensive brand… If they would have given me € 50,00 to send it with secured mail I would have done it too. Leaving the bag behind and asking me to bring it to charity aswell was ‘a special request’

2 Likes

I just tried that Björk liquor on a recent stopover through Iceland. Incredibly delicious, I’m so jealous now. I can’t find it nearby.

1 Like

the only 2 slightly strange things…

1. a high heeled boot IN the bed. Like, between the covers.

2. about 100 pieces of (unchewed) gum under the bed.

1 Like

A gun.
Yes, a man left his concealed carry in one of my closets on the top shelf (we actually did have a built in gun safe - wish he would have used that. It took him almost 6 months to claim it. We had to tell him that we had turned it over to the police…just in case.

We had a recent guest gushing about the puzzles we left them so they bought new ones for us stating “We loved the puzzles you provided so we bought you two as a gift.”

We never had puzzles before them. But hey, now we’ve got a collection started!

4 Likes

I’d be so upset if I left all that behind!! :slight_smile: I know I’ve left behind a plant I picked up at a farmer’s market that my husband said we couldn’t bring home on the airplane, so I left it for our host (we were in Florence and he was like - we can’t take that internationally back home!!).