Websites, social media, etc

I think it’s a good idea too. But I’m not clear how it would help. Would it, as @cabinhost suggests, improve Google ranking?

For me, as of right now, this is still of purely theoretical interest, because I don’t have a web site.

Faheem, look at it this way. If you had an article about your rental in a local newspaper, it would be a fairly good thing. Not fantastic but you’d be able to show people the cutting and so on. But if you had an article in the travel section of the London Times (or an equivalent large newspaper in the country from which your visitors come) that would give your place huge credibility. It would make your listing important because of the authority of the newspaper.

Links on websites work in a similar way. If you had a link to your site on Old Mother Hubbard’s Apple Pie Recipe website, Google would pay no attention at all. If you had a link on my site (which calls itself an ‘independent travel magazine’ Google would give you a few minor kudos for it because of the work ‘travel’. (In a nutshell). If however you had a link on a major travel site, Google would see it as an ‘endorsement’ of your property. This is the best way to look at the value of links.

As for the fact that you don’t have a website yet, I’m pretty sure that it would be the easiest thing in the world for you to put up a one or two page website. It’s a start :slight_smile:

1 Like

Which Marco Pierre restaurant? (there’s more than one)

Where is river tour starting/finishing?

London is a big place - 10 million people :slight_smile: and the Thames meanders right the way through it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sure, but how does that relate to a bunch of property owners linking their sites together? Does Google then rate the result as a “major travel site”? :slight_smile:

I have to admit that Marco is my hero :slight_smile:
I think that the tour people like to keep their options open but the problem is that Marco is unlikely to be there - just his cuisine. Which is fine but…

No. If the common theme is ‘travel’ then it would score minor points with Google (better than apple pie recipe sites :slight_smile: )

However there might be an advantage for the viewer. If, for example, if a bunch of London hosts linked together then anyone searching for London accommodation would have more options to explore.

I’m a superhost but find a group aimed at them rather elitist.

As someone who presumably trained as a journalist and works in PR, you will know that your page needs to differeniate itself from the many others out there.

At the moment it doesn’t seem to have a coherent story behind it.

If the Group is aimed at ‘superhosts’ there is no point us putting together a story for your site - other superhosts are not our target audience - honestly as a PR person you should know better :slight_smile:

Then it will be difficult for you to link the restaurants to hosts - we have a large city with thousands of hosts. MPW’s restaurants are in different parts of the city.

Same with the Thames. Do the tour start in Richmond? In Hampton Court? In Waterloo? in Greenwich. All these locations are quite far apart.

I am not sure this idea of linking hosts to the River Thames and MPW restaurants would work.

Not sure why the guy is your hero. I interviewed him once - getting me waiting 1.5 hours and then turned up blotto :frowning:

The booking part would be non-trivial. But perhaps that’s not what you are talking about.

1 Like

There are plenty of plugins (free) that you can use :slight_smile: